can crab-king be tuned a little bit

In the current state that crab king is in, I frickin hate him.

I think most of this hate stems from the fact that most of his attacks as I played with him (the claws crunching the boat, the copious amounts of holes poked in the boat) were instances in which you couldn't really stop him from doing a pretty big amount of damage to you. And to go along with that, he regenerates his HP super rapidly, so if you're playing alone, you can't really stop him from just completely resetting All the progress that you've made thus far as you attempt to fend off X or Y attack that he sends to damage your boat. To beat crab king, you'll likely have to bring a couple stacks of boat patches and a crudload of twigs to keep your boat shipshape, and someone else to stop him from healing as you constantly burn through this supply.

I feel like I can live with the fact that you're simply going to have to drain that many resources to beat him, but It's really hard not to hate the fact that theres extremely little you can really do to stop him from healing without someone there with you. Kind of feels like it's harder than Fuelweaver at this point.

Not super sure what you could do to make this fight better, but one thing off the top of my head would be to make it so he only heals 1 or 2 rocks at a time instead of like, 10, so he doesn't regenerate All of his hp, should you miss a point to stop him. But again that's just off the top of my head and a more thought through solution would likely work better.

I repeat myself like a broken record but.. Health Scaling would be nice. I mean... On Xbox One we DO NOT HAVE (and I’m not 100% sure if we have EVER had..) Klei Official or Dedicated Servers.

So when you play DST on Xbox One Servers are hosted by a HOST Player, and that Server is only active for as long as that Host player is playing the game.. if the Host leaves or Disconnects EVERYONE Playing will be booted from the Server until the host returns.

Because Servers are set up in this way on Xbox I tend to always host my Own Server... and when creating a New World there are a TON of Server Options you can toggle on or off, more or less of.

(This post is getting a bit long so i’ll Just skip ahead to my point..)

Why can’t there be Dedicated OPTIONS that lets me toggle lowest, a lot less, less, Normal, More, A lot More or Most.  For enemy health pools??? 

This allows players who want to play Solo and not struggle while playing solo.. to enjoy the game, this ALSO Allows newer players who aren’t really in it for the challenge to lower health pools and have an enjoyable experience. But it will ALSO pile on MORE Health on an enemy for people who finds 6 players with Helmets, armor & Hambats to be a quick win... that HP pool can be scaled Upward so it balances out.

The TL:DR- you can toggle Default Bearger, Less Bearger or NO Bearger In Xbox One... But what we REALLY Needed was a More Health, Default Health, Lower Health option.

I'm not sure what tactics you are employing - but it seems a few ice staves can be used to cancel him out of his gyser attack.  Killing the claws is a bit tough solo without Wolfgang but possible.  If you ice the crab king when he spawns claws you can dedicate some time to them.  You will want some boat patches still, but it isn't so bad.  The healing is cancelled by spam attacking.  You can use weather pains to help with this, but just holding F isn't so bad.

Note that you'll want to socket him with purple gems and the pearl.  Its the easiest form of the fight.

Also I realise this might seem like a lot of set up - but the Crab King is a major boss, on the level of bee queen and toadstool.  It nearly requires you've played your world for over a year already before you get the Pearl to face him for this real reward, so I think its okay to demand so much to solo him.

1 minute ago, Shosuko said:

I'm not sure what tactics you are employing - but it seems a few ice staves can be used to cancel him out of his gyser attack.  Killing the claws is a bit tough solo without Wolfgang but possible.  If you ice the crab king when he spawns claws you can dedicate some time to them.  You will want some boat patches still, but it isn't so bad.  The healing is cancelled by spam attacking.  You can use weather pains to help with this, but just holding F isn't so bad.

Note that you'll want to socket him with purple gems and the pearl.  Its the easiest form of the fight.

how do you deal with the million, life destroying holes in the boat that spawns from socketing purple gems?

1 minute ago, Lbphero said:

how do you deal with the million, life destroying holes in the boat that spawns from socketing purple gems?

When he starts casting the spell to summon the gyser you will attack a few times with the ice staff.  This will freeze him cancelling the attack so you don't get the holes in your boat.  Then you should only need repair kits to repair damage from the claws as you kill them.

2 minutes ago, Shosuko said:

When he starts casting the spell to summon the gyser you will attack a few times with the ice staff.  This will freeze him cancelling the attack so you don't get the holes in your boat.  Then you should only need repair kits to repair damage from the claws as you kill them.

oh, i didn't know attacking him interrupts that! thank you for telling me, the crab king isn't so bad then.

1 minute ago, shadowDigga said:

Wait, so continuously hitting him with a weapon while he's trying to heal himself with claws doesn't cancel the healing? That probably explains why I wasted 20 night swords and he still didn't die. Oh well.

the way you can tell it's cancelling the healling is if the rocks are breaking, but it's still really hard to keep up

11 minutes ago, shadowDigga said:

Wait, so continuously hitting him with a weapon while he's trying to heal himself with claws doesn't cancel the healing? That probably explains why I wasted 20 night swords and he still didn't die. Oh well.

this game literally needs built-in health meters and damage notifiers. This is long overdue.

I mean come on they already did dmg in forge.

Just now, Well-met said:

this game literally needs built-in health meters and damage notifiers. This is long overdue.

I mean come on they already did dmg in forge.

It doesn't though and it isn't though. For lots of bosses, part of the challenge is that you have absolutely no clue how low/high their health is unless you're counting hits, like Deerclops or the Moose, so you have to plan around that blindness and be sure you aren't getting in too risky of a fight.

I find it weird that you're complaining about this for the Crab King, though, the singular non-Forge boss that visually shows his health in the form of how broken his crown is...

I kinda agree with the health bar thing actually... I pinned a Bearger in a trap of frog rain & ponds and could just sit and watch him battle them.. but without knowing how much health he had left I had to GUESS when to move in and attack.

For PC there are Mods for showing health bars.. and for other games- There’s usually a incredibly CLEAR Indicator of how close Something is to dying.. either by the large amounts of blood or ooze that will be dripping from its body, OR by the fact it visually limps around showing clear indication that it’s hurt.

I shouldn’t have to look on a Wiki page to discover Dragonfly has 20,000 Health Points and will be damn near impossible to do Solo, Even with my 14 Bernie’s & Sewing kits to repair them I failed.. 

If I would had known it had 20,000hp, I wouldn’t have even attempted to pick a fight with it.

4 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

I kinda agree with the health bar thing actually... I pinned a Bearger in a trap of frog rain & ponds and could just sit and watch him battle them.. but without knowing how much health he had left I had to GUESS when to move in and attack.

For PC there are Mods for showing health bars.. and for other games- There’s usually a incredibly CLEAR Indicator of how close Something is to dying.. either by the large amounts of blood or ooze that will be dripping from its body, OR by the fact it visually limps around or showing clear indication that it’s hurt.

I shouldn’t have to look on a Wiki page to discover Dragonfly has 20,000 Health Points and will be damn near impossible to do Solo, Even with my 14 Bernie’s & Sewing kits to repair them I failed.. 

If I would had known it had 20,000hp, I wouldn’t have even attempted to pick a fight with it

as skye said, the crab king is one of the few bosses here that specifically shows how damaged it is as time progresses.

As for dfly, I strongly suggest that you simply build a wall with an impassable opening [IE a sign in the middle build in such a way that mobs can't actually squeeze through] so that lavae do not get through, and just kite dfly. She's tough, but not impossible to simply face off by yourself this way. I find that minions get in the way and drag her attention too much to be useful. Go in, hit her 5 (or was it 6?) times, and then move out for her to swing, and repeat. Use an ice staff or pan flute to calm her down if she ever enrages.

Thanks but that’s really not the best answer to the problem though.

Very few Solo players that I know want to actually fight something with so much health it’s intended for multiple players to be fighting.. It doesn’t make the game any more fun or challenging.. it just takes something meant to be done with a group and makes it take a lot longer doing it Solo.

If YOUR a DST God and can handle that no problem then more power to you.. But for people coming from DS Into DST.... they are going to have a really REALLY Tough time..

https://dontstarve.fandom.com/wiki/Dragonfly

I normally just turn these bosses OFF when I play alone because there just really isn’t any fun or fair way of battling with them.. NOT compared to DS Solo.

The She Sells Sea Shells Update is not out for Xbox One yet... so I can not judge Crab King until I’ve attempted to actually fight it, I don’t even know if there’s an option to toggle it OFF like with D-Fly, Guess I’ll be finding out next week though.

A505DF4B-4A27-40D9-80FD-0660D2EFB8B2.png

21 minutes ago, Owlrus98 said:

Ngl, it feels like most bosses nowadays (especially new ones that get added) are huge resource sponges.

That just goes for the multiplayer-based bosses. Their mechanics are designed so that they're much, much easier when doing them with other people than it is doing them alone:
- Getting any hits at all on Bee Queen while fighting her alone is a challenge itself. Her attack and hit ranges make her impossible to kite in most cases, and even if you manage to stack enough speed boosts to make it happen you've still got the many grumble bees that'll block your way. With more people, you'd have enough damage output to make the grumble bees much less of an issue or have someone distract the bees so the others can focus on killing the queen herself. Distracting the bees is especially significant when she puffs them up
- Toadstool has a ridiculous amount of HP, and if that wasn't time consuming enough, he's also got sporecaps and spore bombs to waste your time with. Constant distractions make it a hell of a solo battle, but with more players you can get rid of the sporecaps faster to start attacking Toadstool himself again, and worry less about spore bombs since they won't affect everybody in the fight.
- The Ancient Fuelweaver has a ton of mechanics that just scream teamwork. Bone cage to practically force you to take damage and deplete your resources the longer you stay in the fight, woven shadows to heal himself you aren't able to hit enough enemies fast enough, and the unseen hands - especially combined with the bone cage - further waste your time and make you spend more resources.
- The Crab King is the only one I haven't tried yet, but from the looks of it just one other person would be very helpful in taking out the claws before they do too much damage and row away from the geyser attacks before they make 20 holes in your boat.

The rest of the bosses are fine, I think. The Malbatross is a recent addition to the game that isn't really a resource sink at all - you can feasibly defeat it without taking any damage, and the damage it does to your boat is just going to cost a handful of twigs to repair.

Archived