Doppelgängers and the teleportato

Just a theory but how can there be doppelgängers of characters. (outside of gameplay logistics) 

Theory: The teleportato keeps the characters who have been swapped in a sort of lingo and they were released when the events of DST play out (portal), hence duplicant characters exist. 

Flaws: No evidence canonically through trailers since there hasn't been any character doppleganger action. 

Theory explained: The things from ds definitively have something to do with quantum mechanics, electricity, and multiverse 

Wickerbottoms examination of the original ring thing states : "a torus of alloys and wirings"- and a torus is not only a doughnut shape but also known in older literature as an Anchor ring. -So perhaps it is the anchor of the world, and maybe it only partway works causing survivors dimensions to split 

In shipwrecked and hamlet we see the things change into different forms, and while it can be said that perhaps they respond to their environment in different ways (since its said that the Relic thing from hamlet exists in more than three realms, Wagstaff quote) I think that the things change slightly in some function in each world. This into account perhaps when a character changes their character via teleportato they are transported into a sort of lingo where they are held while a new version of themself or another character comes into the world. If you can some how figure out what I'm trying to convey I'd love to hear opinions or counter arguments to this theory so cheers. 

The Multiverse.

Used most commonly by Marvel & DC Comics, the general concept of Multiverse is that the worlds parallel each other- If say for example Superman is a rouge Tyrant in one World, then Lex Luthor would be seen as the Hero Superman isn’t.

To put that into DS perspective- If one Wilson asks where Base is, another Wilson in an alternate universe already found it himself without asking

These would be Doppelgängers of Any other world but their own... if Wormwood existed on Island A, And he Went to Island B but somehow the Timelines got all screwed up and Wormwood B never made it to Island A then BOTH Wormwoods would Co-Exist on Island B, With Wormwood A being the doppelgänger of Wormwood B’s world.

The TL:DR- For Marvel/DC It’s a crazy headache inducing mess they made up so they could kill off any character they want and then bring them back to life later by saying It’s the Multiverse! 

I've always liked to believe that every player in DST is that player taking the form of the character they picked, hence skins, the skins let these people customize the form they take on the constant to a degree. These people enjoy making outfits that suit this form.

The players of course, regardless of appearance, take the traits of the character chosen, examples include the following, only those taking form of Wendy can use Abigail and assist pipspooks, only those taking the form of Wickerbottom can self publish books though those taking the form of Maxwell can also read them while those taking the form of Maxwell are the only ones who can summon shadow puppets, another example is that only those taking the form of Warly can use his special crockpot, seasoning station and milling/grinding station and only those who take the form of Winona can build generators, catapults and spotlights(though anyone can make use of them.)

The Celestial Portal allows one to change their form at the cost of a Moon Rock Idol, and some take advantage of this to change their form briefly to use that form's properties, then switch back to their prefered form.

That's just my take on it, I think it's even suppored by the fact that examining other players makes your character refer to that other player by their player name and not by the character's name.

If I may propose an alternate theory.

All doppelgangers are the same person (in game lore) but just at different times of their existence in the Constant.

Its established lore that time is really unusual in the Constant so intermingling of different periods of time doesn’t seem far fetched.

In all honesty it’s probably easier to go with the multiverse theory to make in game doppelgängers canon though since this take on it has a lot of logic holes.

Archived