New pig island centered on trading and commerce

Within the constant, some of us are aware that pigmen can be sapient enough to trade in hamlet (if it truly is canon)

If players live long enough in a single playthrough, Survival becomes second nature and you begin to make farms, produce food, build large bases, sail and amass wealth and start to develop something similar to a civilization.

So why shouldn't pigs do the same as time goes on? 

I have an idea that spawns a new island that centers on trading, similar to hamlet. I don't have a great deal of illustrated ideas of the current moment, but I have a small drawing of an idea I have. Excuse the clash of art styles and resolution inconsistency for the time being

L59u2Mn.png

What you see here is a pig man behind a counter who would trade 2 or 3 items according to what category they'll sell. Perhaps there could be different shop designs for weapons, enemy drops, food, magic similar to hamlet. But unlike hamlet, you would be unable to enter and exit each shop. these would act more like market stalls where all trading is done on the outside until dusk when pigs pack up and close up shop.

Another cute idea I had would be a pig inn that would act like a tent where you could pay pigs to sleep in those inns.

In addition to all these shops, there could also be a livestock breeder that could be able to sell herds of creatures who are liable to go extinct such as volt goat, beefalo and catcoon. this is especially useful on public servers that manage to crawl past 1000 days and build communes.

PL6zea3.png

I decided to only draw the farm house outline because I was unhappy with how the fully illustrated version was, but I digress, this demonstrates more or less what I would want from this type of trader.

I play many public games and often, I'll see people get a little bit greedy in their endeavors to obtain beefalo horns or in a more worrying situation, griefers who drive beefalo to extinction. Same can be said about volt goat and those who hammer catcoon dens.

I understand that there should be consequences to over hunting beefalo and voltgoats, but in many situations, especially made worse in the quarantine that players truly have nothing better to do than grief in a manner that drives species extinct. 

Having a livestock trader an island away and having to try to ferry these animals to the mainland would be a fair solution that wouldn't throw off the balance to the game in a way that straight out breaks it.

I have a few other ideas for the new island that I haven't made illustrations for such as requiring a pass in order to enter the island, otherwise guards will remain aggressive on you and shops refusing to trade with you to prevent Woodie players eloping and having all the fun. 

Perhaps a bearger drop to guarantee that you can only legitimately access the island after your first year. Or maybe with some luck, designate it as a klaus drop.

The whole idea needs to be fleshed out, I must admit. But the appeal of hamlet and the gorge along with the atmosphere they provide are too good not to have in dst.

Thanks for reading if you have done so. I want to update this thread with ideas in the future, so hopefully, I'll continue to do so when something comes to me. 

With Pearl being a new concept in DST, I wouldn't see it out of the picture at all. Furthermore, I think this would be a great time to re-introduce the "Shopkeepers" back into the game (at least in a minimal apsect such as only bringing one or two in the game).

Archived