[Game Update] - 404183

• Developer

Hey Grifters,

We spent a lot of time watching people play griftlands today. There were some fixes as a result:

• Fixing the crash when a user closes the deck screen while it's already fading out after a card upgrade/removal
  • audio: missing ambiences for crime scene, rise campsite and research tent. tweaks to deepbog and bogger hideout ambiences.
  • Changed Combination's anim to "double_stab" so that the number of hits is correct
  • Removed the Bogger from the possible Defs in side_competing_bids.lua
  • Add Incept keyword to Zesty Noodles.
  • Animate Composure floaters asynchronously.  Blockade, Brain padding, etc. will now apply all at once, greatly speeding up presentation.
  • Sketchy equipment damage reduced from 2 to 1 per stack
  • Trip no longer deals damage, only applies wound
  • Caprice now reduces the cost of the improvised card by 1 instead of setting it to 0
  • Tribute now more clearly describes who gets the new argument
  • Switch some bgs on the expedition to make more sense
  • Increased the cost of Carve from 1 to 2
  • Brain Gills is now 0 Action cost.
  • Kickback cost now scales with difficulty instead of being a fixed amount
  • Cards shown in negotiation tooltips now have a reference to the card engine for calculating bribe costs correctly
  • Adjusted the resolve scaling of Money Talks
  • Hiding the resolve indicator in battle and negotiation
  • Fixed issue where Shrooglets could get negative power 
  • Add a special faction option for bandit_rob_player.lua
  • Retune Grawkit belly flop to a precise damage table based on scaling.  It no longer is proportionally modified by current health.
  • make the admiralty_roadblock toll less, and let you get out of it if you're admiralty
  • fix some bad opinion events
  • Bottom Edge should only apply a damage bonus if min_damage < max_damage.
  • Gemini is now 3-5 to bring it in line with other dps-oriented Uncommon attacks.
  • Double Time is now 2-7.
  • Fix Cripple being displayed as a '34%' damage reduction (should show as 33%)
  • Fixed bug where Burn wouldn't correctly register if the coin was set to a specific side
  • Boosted Serrated Edge now boosts Cripple effectiveness to 50% 
  • Fix crash when dying due to fragile health if other grafts are yet to be applied.
  • Refresh MainOverlay in OnAdded, otherwise the top bar can have the wrong buttons (like exposing blasters while playing sal) .  This only seems to happen if you debug quickplay, because in the normal start run flow the slide show screen causes OnGainTop when it finishes fading out.
  • Tag the kashio fight as a boss fight so that the right music plays
  • Updating the game icon so it looks clearer

Rook's finale comes out on the main branch on Thursday. We have a couple of surprises for you, too, so there will be some fun new content even if you've already played the Rook stuff in experimental.

Keep on griftin'!

View full update

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Sketchy equipment damage reduced from 2 to 1 per stack

I don't think this was necessary. Sketchy equipment was far from being oppressive, if anything else because items are rarely worth putting in your deck, and those that do are still worth it even if you have to spend 2hp to play them. But maybe it feels different for newer players.

20 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Increased the cost of Carve from 1 to 2

...this is almost certainly a mistake. Carve was one of the few good ways to capitalize on your combo. At a cost of 2, this change better come with a sizeable boost. A theoretical 2 cost card that deals as little damage as Carve and that *always* applies 3 wound would be just about ok in terms of power. Having to spend 3 combo just to reach a basic level of efficiency for your actions... It's a terrible deal.

21 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Retune Grawkit belly flop to a precise damage table based on scaling.  It no longer is proportionally modified by current health.

The unfortunate part of this change is that it effectively means you *have* to kill the grawkit before it bellyflops. Before, just getting its health low enough was sufficient to survive. I guess the good thing is that it's less likely to blindside new players now.

I like the other changes though!

12 minutes ago, pacovf said:

I don't think this was necessary. Sketchy equipment was far from being oppressive, if anything else because items are rarely worth putting in your deck, and those that do are still worth it even if you have to spend 2hp to play them. But maybe it feels different for newer players.

I think the problem with this graft is that in Rook's run, you naturally get lots of items from befriending radicals, getting lockboxes, and killing people at isolated locations. On the other hand, it's very hard to find spark barons that hate you, because spark barons can't show up at the last stand(for some reason, despite the fact it's a "neutral" bar), and there are few workplaces where spark baron security guards can show up. There is apparently a spark baron rec room, but there's barely, if at all, any ways to get there. I think the game still tries to spawn spark barons there, so people that hate you because you killed their friend will probably show up there, with no way to get there. As a result, it's hard to get rid of this bane, and combined with the fact that you can get items easily in Rook's run, the devs felt the need to nerf this bane. I think that the nerf isn't necessary, but we probably need more quests that can lead to the spark baron rec room.

• Like 2

Eeeeh I’m not sure I agree as much, even for Rook. RPGs, Guerrilla tactics, Bog scimitar, possibly spark cannons are definitely still worth it, even taking 2hp damage. Hatch items are a mixed bunch, I would hatch a flead egg despite it, but lockboxes and jammed blasters would depend on how much xp they’re missing. I would just trash almost everything else, unless it has replenish, in which case I might as well keep it, because I might be able to sell it later.

It seems that the problem is how rare it is to be able to provoke Barons, not the bane itself, which was already close to being ignorable. The player should feel the consequences of getting people to hate them (compare this to the gnarled effigy bane, there are multiple leagues of difference). Maybe another problem is how many items have questionable value. If more items were more efficient than regular character cards, then this bane would actually affect the player more strongly.

Besides, I rarely get Barons to hate me. Do other people have different experiences with this?

Edited by pacovf

Hey @Kevin I moderate for a guy on twitch called Serge Yager, he has streamed Griftlands from the beginning. He has a couple thousand followers etc and some have bought the game using his affiliate code. I was wondering if you had an email that he could use to contact you about streaming the updated version of the game?

• Developer
50 minutes ago, Shakarri said:

Hey @Kevin I moderate for a guy on twitch called Serge Yager, he has streamed Griftlands from the beginning. He has a couple thousand followers etc and some have bought the game using his affiliate code. I was wondering if you had an email that he could use to contact you about streaming the updated version of the game?

Hi! Try press@kleientertainment.com.

• Thanks 1