No Critters available?

Yes, only adult critters can be groomed and shaved. That is when they start being productive.
As for the mature one, it's probably already groomed.

A little tip on your setup: put the mealwood in the bottom section of your drecko ranch, so there's more space for them to laze around in hydrogen. Only when dreckos are in hydrogen do they regrow their scales, so you want to increase the surface area they can sit in hydrogen. Just don't put any 'islands' in there, I've noticed that if they are sitting on tiles that aren't directly connected to the sides/grooming station that the game sometimes has trouble seeing critters that need grooming.

The thing is I wanted the hydrogen far away from the doors to avoid the hassle of a liquid airlock. But I'm going to have to redesign this anyway, not enough space for automation left and the temperature control is off.

By the way, what's the advantage of keeping Dreckos in their "comfortable" temperature range rather than their "livable" range? There's no overlap between the comfortable range and the mealwood temperature range, which makes things a bit tricky

15 hours ago, Olleus said:

what's the advantage of keeping Dreckos in their "comfortable" temperature range rather than their "livable" range

Comfortable range has absolutely no meaning in ONI.

btw I recommend @abud's great setup as a highly efficient intro. No sloppiness.

Screenshot_81.thumb.png.bf8e76fed835fbcee77dbb9b14b6c1bb.png

3 hours ago, nakomaru said:

btw I recommend @abud's great setup as a highly efficient intro. No sloppiness.

Screenshot_81.thumb.png.bf8e76fed835fbcee77dbb9b14b6c1bb.png

You would need to wear atmo suits to ranch them because of hydrogen atmosphere. I tried similar setup and were able to shear and groom only those critter that were very close to shearing/grooming stations. Otherwise my dupes were aborting their errands due to lack of oxygen. For some time I was manually preventing them from passing the door thus they didn't interrupt grooming/shearing even when oxygen dropped to alarm level but it was not a long term solution.

I've noticed a bit of misinformation around. 1) Wild dreckos can be sheared. 2) Dreckos can jump 1-cell gaps horizontally. Not a big deal, but might be useful for someone.

After playing around on sandbox for a while, I've decided to go for this design. It won't max out the reed fibre, but it will still produce a decent amount, and I don't have to mess around with atmo suits or liquid airlocks. Phosphorite is more important for me, and I value the simplicity.  It's fully automated, can feed 8 dreckos perpetually and sorts all the resources produced into separate bins. The top 2-or-3 tiles should be hydrogen, and the funny shape ceiling is to encourage the dreckos to spend time there while not preventing the mealwood from growing. I observed it for a few cycles and after being sheared/groomed, they did return to the top fairly quickly. They like to eat while suspended upside down, which is great.

The automation works as follows. External dirt is brought into the receptacle in the middle. The top two auto-sweepers distribute it to the farm tiles. They also scoop up everything on the top floor, load it into the top loader, which then drops it via chute to the bottom floor. The bottom auto-sweeper then sorts meat, egg shell, reed fibre and phosphorite between the two central loaders, which in turn uses element sensors outside the stable to sort these elements into individual paths to go where they are needed. The last loader takes drecko eggs and is activated if the number of critters+eggs is greater than 8, while the incubator turns on if it's less than 8.

normal.thumb.jpg.f89085ce20a95f0d0322143c3d0af2ef.jpgf11.thumb.jpg.5bd683d6d8a1fd36b0249bafbdf09052.jpg

shiftf2.thumb.jpg.f2016d50e3e42a72bc67b462e06918dd.jpg

Archived