Would you want wind (similar to Shipwrecked) in DST?

Would you want wind (similar to Shipwrecked) in DST?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want wind in DST?

• Yes!
    • No!

More atmospheric effects and weather conditions in late-game would be desirable imo.

After some in-game years or post a FW-like take-down event (aka via player trigger, maybe related to "Moon" entity/Lunar Boss) we could have variations of the 4 seasons with certain weather patters perhaps in a RNG fashion. This would make worlds feel more alive, evolving with player(s) and whatnot, giving the sense of a true environment.

Yeah, I think the poll could've used some more granular options.  Instead of just flat "Yes" and flat "No", there should also be a "Yes, IF..." and a "Mostly No, BUT..." and then you say what the conditional idea you have would be, in your comment.

Me...having played Shipwrecked, I just gotta say:  Wind is one thing.  But if you even THINK of bringing in _poison_, Shipwrecked's most obnoxious mechanic ever (almost tied with horrid stealy monkeys living on the surface), I WILL personally beat you to death with a spider sac.  (Don't ask how that would work.  I would MAKE it work.)

Anyway...so, I take it we'd also be getting a chimenea, then?  Because wind + fire + darkness = sucks to be you!  What would we make the chimeneas out of?  In Shipwrecked you use sand and coral and stuff, but neither of those things exist at all in Together.  If you think you can get through Spring _without_ one, you have obviously NEVER had to constantly babysit a fire and feed it all of your entire log stack in the course of one night.  Rain AND wind is the worst combination ever for those trying not to become a Charlie-Snack.

As with any potentially slowing-you-down mechanic, I would want it to...not, please.  ANYthing that messes with your movement during a late-game hound attack is death.  It makes sense on the ocean, but even then I'd like its actual effects to not be too intrusive.  Ripping up entire plants, throwing your smaller (loose) items all up against the nearest coast and breaking trees in half would be HELL to people who are _already_ desperately trying to save their megabases from griefers...maybe it could have varying degrees of intensity?  Everything from "mild breeze" that's mostly just cosmetic, to "HOLY CRAP EVERYBODY HEAD TO THE BASEMENT!" for the Uncompromising types, maybe?  (Basements aren't canon in DST, but you get what I mean.  Head to shelter.)

(also, Tornado Season?  Lemme guess--the Midwest?  I used to live smack in "Tornado Alley". Yep.  Yep.)

Yes to different things happening at sea because of different seasons in general, though.  I still like the icebergs-in-winter idea.

...Notorious

17 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

But dude... the game isn’t called base building simulator 3000, it’s called Don’t Starve- And it’s advertised as a Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game. 

And throughout 2020-2021 I would like to see more Wilderness Survival added into my game, even if it’s only added in as an alternate mode...

While I do understand and respect that your playstyle might vary greatly from mine. Playing the game as a building simulator 3000 is just as valid as farming bosses every single day of the week if it brings me joy. Because that is what games are all about, being fun.

If it weren't for the base building being so much fun to me I had probably stopped playing DS after 50 hours. But hey, here I am instead with 2000 hours and still enjoying it.

Let me clear this up a bit- If you want to base build, that’s fine build to your hearts Continent in a mode or setting dedicated specifically to not being the Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game DS is meant to be..

and when I say Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival I don’t mean having a boss rush your base every 10 minutes.

I mean having the Wilderness itself- The Weather And it’s effects challenge you- Blizzards And sandstorms that impair Vision, Wind that effects boat sailing directions.

They gave us a boat with a adjustable mast and an anchor for a reason ya know?

If you want to play base builder simulator 3000 then there should be more forgiving modes for that. 

But for people like myself who want more Wilderness Survival, give us Hurricane Season, give us Tornadoes that wreck stuff and we have to salvage what we can and rebuild, give us floods that block off areas of the land, and if Elevated land ever ends up in the game... I want to see earthquakes and Landslides that wreck the map up/down realistically 

Ya know... Random Survival stuff you have to adapt to and overcome.

I didn’t buy a Wilderness Survival Game to sit around at base NOT being challenged by the Wilderness.

There can still be easier less forgiving modes of course.. but hopefully you get what I mean.

37 minutes ago, Mike23Ua said:

Let me clear this up a bit- If you want to base build, that’s fine build to your hearts Continent in a mode or setting dedicated specifically to not being the Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival Game DS is meant to be..

In my own experiences, I find that after I survive atleast a year or 100 days or something around those lines and I have survived every challenge there is. The game turns into a fun little building game for me and I tend to build and expand my mega base in the late game. Having wind ravage my decorations and plants I put down isnt really hard.Its just annoying and would ruin that late game sandbox phase for me. I know several others who feel the same way about the game, surviving all the challenges and entering the late stage of the game where they can just build whatever they want. This is why I personally wouldnt want wind. I dont think it's really challenging just forces you to put your stuff in chests and what not.

the way I see it wind would blow away tents and lean-to’s.. Which would be more than just storing everything in a chest to keep it safe, it could blow hats off your head and you’ll need to chase down and catch them, (with exception of Eyebrella)

Theres a way to make wind a challenge all in its own right.

There are bonus perks that wind could provide- such as a gust of cool breeze on a hot summer day, or it could simply snuff out torches and campfires more easily.. making you have to fuel them more frequently or rely on other methods of Light and Warmth.

Its more then just an annoying little thing that requires stashing loose items in a chest, it should be a serious challenge.. but as with all things in DST there should be ways to counter it.

For example- You can build a Rain-o-Meter to predict when it will rain, you can build a Thermometer to observe temperatures, you can build a Moon Dial to Observe the phases of the Moon. So there should be some sort of structure that also helps you be aware of when to expect heavier winds than usual.

23 hours ago, Mike23Ua said:

and when I say Totally Uncompromising Wilderness Survival I don’t mean having a boss rush your base every 10 minutes.

I mean having the Wilderness itself- The Weather And it’s effects challenge you- Blizzards And sandstorms that impair Vision, Wind that effects boat sailing directions.

They gave us a boat with a adjustable mast and an anchor for a reason ya know?

If you want to play base builder simulator 3000 then there should be more forgiving modes for that. 

But for people like myself who want more Wilderness Survival, give us Hurricane Season, give us Tornadoes that wreck stuff and we have to salvage what we can and rebuild, give us floods that block off areas of the land, and if Elevated land ever ends up in the game... I want to see earthquakes and Landslides that wreck the map up/down realistically 

Ya know... Random Survival stuff you have to adapt to and overcome.

I didn’t buy a Wilderness Survival Game to sit around at base NOT being challenged by the Wilderness.

There can still be easier less forgiving modes of course.. but hopefully you get what I mean.

Shipwrecked seems to have many of the challenges you'd like to see. Have you tried cranking up the difficulty? Like if you want tornadoes and destruction make volcano season, hurricane season come up more frequent or smth.

3 hours ago, Rhovious Aran said:

Shipwrecked seems to have many of the challenges you'd like to see. Have you tried cranking up the difficulty? Like if you want tornadoes and destruction make volcano season, hurricane season come up more frequent or smth.

I am aware of that.. but I play DST to play with friends, To play DS Shipwrecked means I have to neglect playing with my friends.

For PC players ONLY there are mods that allow them to add Shipwrecked content into their DST worlds.. but as you know, Console players can’t have any mods at all.. so the only way I’ll ever get to play Shipwrecked content with my buddies on Xbox Live is If Klei fills generous enough to officially add that content into the game.

(I have my doubts that it won’t ever happen.. but who knows maybe someday Klei will make it happen.)

Archived