world-gen shenanigans

idk if this is common knowledge, but I had never really looked at it before and it gave me a laugh.  I was spawning some worlds with land branch none, loop always, and just revealing the map to see what kinda fun they might be.  idk, sometimes that's how I start games - get a map that looks fun before I waste a few hours exploring it.  Well when I do these I never really check out the caves, or mess with their gen settings.  I decided what the heck - what do the caves look like with land branch none, loop always, and this is what I got...

caves-circle.thumb.jpg.3a9ff5f317231412dfbb6e1a9fca547b.jpg

again idk, maybe this was common knowledge but it was new to me and kinda funny.  I made another world and had similar result.  The caves are split into 2 horseshoes, one with the ancient guardian, metheus setpiece, and atrium you can walk to lol

Oh yeah, this is a classic instance of a worldgen issue messing up. It creates some pretty interesting things, like the butchered ruins gen you got.

If you are wondering why this occurs, it has to do with how the ruins biomes generate. Ruins biomes can only connect with ruins biomes due to a lock and key system, and the only biome that doesn’t do this is the lichen fields, which is always connected to a muddy biome with normal cave gen. However, when you do things like mess with land looping, the entire system for generating the biomes like that breaks down, and you get wild results like this. 

The key system was especially broken during the early Turn of Tides days, as the ruins biomes were pretty much generated in the same fashion you got.

I'm more concerned about what the BEEP is that orangey thing in the middle?  I...I can't...what?  I assume that's a modded character. What IS that?

Anyway, worldgen shenanigans...

wormholelovescave.png.175720a4e0b0104b34c1540b0f34f4bf.png

The feel-good anime of the year:  "Wormhole Loves Cave-Chan".

Coming this autumn to a Crunchyroll near you!

...Notorious

55 minutes ago, CaptainChaotica said:

I'm more concerned about what the BEEP is that orangey thing in the middle?  I...I can't...what?  I assume that's a modded character. What IS that?

That's uh, Thomas, the uh, the self-insert.

Made by uh, shocking but you won't believe it,Thomas.

Well, I would ASSUME it's made by him if it's named after him.

What I still can't figure out is WHAT IS IT?  Does it have a head?  Limbs?  Is it alive?  Is it an object?  Animal, vegetable, or mineral?  I seriously can't tell from looking at that thing.

(also you don't have to be rude like that, and, uh, I didn't, uh, say uh at all in my post.) 

(also also, ANYbody who hasn't seen that character before would ask what it is!)

...Notorious

2 minutes ago, __IvoCZE__ said:

Oh I didn't mean to be mean.

Uhhh, I don't know what Thomas actually is.

Presumably it's a red devil.

@thomas4846

Can you please explain your character in DMs to Chaotica to prevent further thread cluttering?

No please, clutter the thread, I have no clue what that is but I'm curious, almost morbidly so o_O

Well I do have one, sadly I didn't get a screenshot.

My friend and I were in the ruins at the time, we just got to it. We decided started exploring, Hadn't come across anything, at all. Didn't see any Splumonkeys, or clockworks, not even relics. Just turf. We kept going, despite being quite concerned, and we saw no statues, still no clockworks. Strangely enough, there wasn't a ancient pseudoscience station. ANYWHERE. No ornate chests spawned, not even dangling depth dweller webs. Got to the ancient guardian and it just wasn't there.

Gosh that was creepy :?

Archived