Question about ranching in vacuum

So I'm playing on a modded world from the islands/empty world mod and a I had a question that I had never really had to think of before and I don't want to spend a ton of time testing in sandbox or debug if someone already knows the answer to this. Critters have a preferred temperature range but how is that affected by being in a vacuum, or is it unaffected? I've seen critters in a vacuum before besides the shove vole but long term does it matter?

7 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

It doesn't, but some critters eat atmosphere like slicksters and pufts so a vacuum could starve them

Right I realize the atmosphere ones would be affected, I just wasn't sure for other ones when it comes to body temps if it mattered. Thanks for the help.

Just now, crbd115 said:

Right I realize the atmosphere ones would be affected, I just wasn't sure for other ones when it comes to body temps if it mattered. Thanks for the help.

Vacuums are perfect insulators.  So critters will maintain their body temps 

4 hours ago, Neotuck said:

Vacuums are perfect insulators.  So critters will maintain their body temps 

Does this mean that I could put my hatch ranches in a vacuum and feed them igneous rock just below its melting temp and they'd be fine?

33 minutes ago, Ambaire said:

Does this mean that I could put my hatch ranches in a vacuum and feed them igneous rock just below its melting temp and they'd be fine?

Don't know, it's possible a critter will exchange heat with consumables.  This needs to be tested

9 hours ago, Zarquan said:

I believe the critters do transfer heat with the ground, as would any materials.  Air flow tiles should be used as the floor.

Yep... feeding shove voles hot regolith dropped onto an airflow tile and in vacuum works great.  They eat the hot regolith, and poop it out at their body temperature ( defaults to 20 C ).

Archived