warly recipies - Puffed Potato Soufflé or Creamy Potato Purée | Am I missing something?

Puffed Potato Soufflé -vs- Creamy Potato Purée

Puffed (which is a warly-specific food) seems to be worse IN EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.

- Arguably uses more impotent resources (both use 2 potatos, warly's require fish instead of garlic, where garlic is usually a waste while fish have high value).

- restores less sanity then Creamy (17 less)

- has same hunger and health returns

- more cook time, spoils faster

There is not one aspect where puffed potato seems to have an advantage. This is just a waste of a dish and there is absolutely no reason to make it.

You can make a case for several of warly's recipes and see SOME use (even if in niche situations) for warly's dishes, but this one is just one of the worst.

It is a worse version, of an ALREADY VERY MEDIOCRE dish.

Please change it somehow.

4 minutes ago, meepmoop said:

Puffed Potato Soufflé -vs- Creamy Potato Purée

Puffed (which is a warly-specific food) seems to be worse IN EVERY SINGLE ASPECT.

- Arguably uses more impotent resources (both use 2 potatos, warly's require fish instead of garlic, where garlic is usually a waste while fish have high value).

Warly's variation uses eggs, not fish. Using eggs instead of garlic is just better because its easier to get. The fact that Warly's recipe is more spammable is why its exclusive to him.

56 minutes ago, DirtWolf said:

Warly's variation uses eggs, not fish. Using eggs instead of garlic is just better because its easier to get. The fact that Warly's recipe is more spammable is why its exclusive to him.

Garlic is trash, but you can make this trash into gold with creamy potatoes. 

Eggs have some pretty good recipes, wasting them on puffed potato is bad.

If you have eggs you can make pierogi which heals better.

If you have potatoes you can make fancy spiraled Tubers which give more sanity as a pair.

using both of those separately will give better stats over using them for puffed potato.

It still doesn't make sense.

Almost all of Warly's recipes are mediocre and even if they weren't exclusive to him nobody would still make them. You can also try to find logic in making most exclusive dishes require farm crops for a character that's supposed to collect and cook food on the go.

Ceviche is more terrible. It's 20 hp, 25 hunger, 5 sanity. lowers temperature for 5-10 seconds which is regarded useless in any practical sense. The cheapest recipe is 2 big fish meat and 2 ice. The combined ingredients eaten raw give you 17 hp, 54.6 hunger, 0 sanity.  So, you only gain 3 hp and 5 sanity by eating ceviche instead of eating the raw ingredients, but lose 29.6 hunger... You could have used the two big fish to make 2 jerky to have 40 hp and 30 sanity instead. Or, you could have used a twig instead of ice, and used just one small or big fish meat to make fishsticks which is 40 hp, 37.5 hunger, 5 sanity - much better than ceviche. Ceviche is pretty useless in every scenario.

1 hour ago, Sweaper said:

Same for a lot of the dishes in DST. Let me know when Klei decides to rebalance that.

I can understand a big part of the design around food recipes Klei did, or a certain logic that stands behind that, even 'bad' food..

for example monster meat and monster lasanga.

making lasanga is a total waste, cooking the monster meat and simply eating it is better, even for webber and wormwood who dont suffer panelties.

But there is a reason behind it - it punishes players who dont think/understand what they do, and reward those who do.

player who uses dragon fruit as filler for meatballs or player who mindlessly combines monster meat gets punished with lasagna.

Its shows that using a tool incorrectly is worst then not using the tool at all and I think its a beautiful game design not seen in a lot of places. Where in a lot of games progression is seen as "level 2 item is better then level 1 item", here you have a tool (crock pot) and you need to actually how to use it to get benefits from it. This is the idea behind 'bad foods' and I dont ask to rebalace that. This wasnt my point

hmm idk. maybe puffed potatoes is just another version of this lasagna-trick exclusive to Warly. This I can understand. But I hoped I was missing something, like a special or interesting effect. hoped to get a clarification and that was my point behind this thread. We can discuss this though as it can be interesting as well. Tell me whats your thoughts about all of this.

1 hour ago, shadowDigga said:

Almost all of Warly's recipes are mediocre and even if they weren't exclusive to him nobody would still make them. You can also try to find logic in making most exclusive dishes require farm crops for a character that's supposed to collect and cook food on the go.

They are mediocre, but not harming. its like if there would be a recipe for a ash which requires a twig, a rope and a seed.

Not only that it doesn't add anything, but it is worse then the sum of its parts.

The implications of this are like I said - 'punish acting without knowledge of what you are doing'.

I can understand it, but hoped that a special dish wouldn't be used this way. Hance why I came to the forum to ask if im missing something.

16 hours ago, meepmoop said:

I can understand a big part of the design around food recipes Klei did, or a certain logic that stands behind that, even 'bad' food..

for example monster meat and monster lasanga.

making lasanga is a total waste, cooking the monster meat and simply eating it is better, even for webber and wormwood who dont suffer panelties.

But there is a reason behind it - it punishes players who dont think/understand what they do, and reward those who do.

player who uses dragon fruit as filler for meatballs or player who mindlessly combines monster meat gets punished with lasagna.

Terrible logic.

Players who don't know what they're doing are not using the crockpot in the first place. Players who don't know what they are doing would be the ones who mindlessly click Mouse2 on the monster meat because they can; unaware of the consequences.

Lasagna makes no sense balance wise and you couldn't pick a worse example. You're basically pushing a form of elitism since you're talented at the game, being aware of Klei's mistake with lasagna/individual MMs while lesser players aren't - despite the logic one could deduce about it.

1 hour ago, Well-met said:

Terrible logic.

Players who don't know what they're doing are not using the crockpot in the first place. Players who don't know what they are doing would be the ones who mindlessly click Mouse2 on the monster meat because they can; unaware of the consequences.

Lasagna makes no sense balance wise and you couldn't pick a worse example. You're basically pushing a form of elitism since you're talented at the game, being aware of Klei's mistake with lasagna/individual MMs while lesser players aren't - despite the logic one could deduce about it.

I think what I failed to convey was that lasagna is not suppose to be a reward. It is a punishment. This is why I call it 'bad food'.

You can see a more extreme example of it in wet goop, which is a result of any invalid recipe.

kebabs, lasanga, ratatouille and some other recipes are more tame versions of this, where the game punishes a player but not so much as to take 100% of his previous earnings like wet goop does. Some of them can even be situational (red caps ratatouille).

If every food was a better version of what you put in, the player would have less intensive to actually acquire knowledge. There would be no way to 'fail' in cooking. I think a certain part of the fun in the game is learning from failures and mistakes and getting to be a better player after that. This is one of the things that add depth to the game.

Archived