DIODE GATES PLEASE!

Dear Klei,

Please put DIODE gates into the automation logic.

They prevent unwanted back-propagation of signals and are an essential component of any serious circuit design.

Currently 2 NOT gates have to be chained to provide this critical functionality.

It is a VERY EASY thing to put in the game but will make a big difference and give a complete set of basic practical gates needed to make (any kind of advanced) custom circuitry.

EXAMPLE: There is a 4-bit signal bus that drives various doors/etc.  IF a switch is placed before a door so that it can be manually actuated(no longer part of the control logic), then this signal will back-propagate and affect EVERY door connected to the logic.  A DIODE gate is needed in front of the switch to prevent this behaviour.

I am surprised it is not in the game already, actually, if only just for completeness of logic gates.

Gavin786

Yeah an OR/AND gate can be used HOWEVER : It takes up 4 squares rather than the 2 it should plus it is not workable in many designs and is functionally ugly.  Often one has in this situation a bus of several wires in parallel and using OR/AND gates takes up a lot of parallel space, with a minimum of doubling the bus width, in practice its much better to use 2 NOT gates than AND/OR in most situations.

DIODE is a fundamental real-world logic gate for complex circuits, any I have designed/built IRL I have used.  2 NOT gates can work in a pinch being 4 tiles long, I really do think that a DIODE is needed.

Archived