Worst Experience ever in DST

So last night i was playing some DST. I was playing a modded character, and i was struggling to maintain my hunger and sanity because of how the character worked. (and because i suck)

Then spring rolls around, and im like "oh cool my dragon fruits will grow faster now"

Then i come back to my base and see moose goose *slowly* smashing my fences. So i did the only logical thing. Punch it then lure it away from my base. 

One day later: It wanders back to my base and kills all my pigs. At this point i managed to eat some food. (still insane though)

I proceed to try to kill the moose goose, so it doesnt annihilate my base. I kill it.

"I should make a wall/box around the egg so the babies dont kill me" Too late, i get back to my base and the babies are eating all of my berry bushes. They all start chasing me and tornadoing me (It was my first time ever fighting moslings)

My football helm breaks and im at about 30ish hp. So i get the great idea of lureing them to the sleeping bearger and getting them to attack it. Doesnt work, they all miss bearger and i go insane because of the aura. 

Nightmare creatures start spawning really quickly.

15ish hp now, 10 hunger, 0 sanity, no armor, no food.

I spend the next 2 in-game days running back and forth between my base and the forest trying to pick up items to make weapons, armor and picking up any seeds i find so i dont starve, all while dodging nightmare creatures and tornadoes (moslings are surprisingly easy to fight though).

Wasnt a fun experience, very frustrating.

Yeah, I've had days like that.  MooseGoose can be frustrating because sometimes there are multiples of her in a small area too.  Sometimes I don't realize there are 2-3 in an important area and it can be a struggle to clear them out.  Every mossling agros on you once a single MG dies so you have 15+ of those little peeps chasing you in a loop without a break in recovery to try and deal with any of them.

Sculpture wall around the nest + >4 catapults at some angle from it 6 walls away from inner space. 4 nitre should do the job to kill Goose/Moose and its babies. Don't forget to put lightning rod. Using catapults is optional and simply blocking nest should be enough to forget about those creatures.

When basing, always watch out for moose goose nests, sink holes, meteor showers (just base far away from them), & anything else that may become a nuisance. And there's a lot of those. For instance, if you or a friend are a Webber, it's nice to keep pigs a bit at a distance, and even watch for catacoon nests. Nothing like chilling, making a meat ball, and swiper pounces on you. However, if you really like an area, you can usually find a work around. Moving pigs houses, building a bunny hutch beside open sink holes, breaking catacoon nests (but basically free meat so maybe don't), or shadowDigga's suggestion. Nothing will work on meteors though, so just... stay away, I see a surprising amount of people build right beside them. And I've accidentally built too close before as well, so I lost a base after 2 seasons.

Recent discussion on meteors if you're interested: 

Good luck with your next base! I've lost many myself. 

I just want to add that if you play mostly Alone- it’s actually better NOT to have a big base and to instead just have a whole bunch of Smaller bases with only the bare essentials, (Campfire, Endo Fire, Cookpot, Science Machine) all over the map- Remember that once you’ve Learned a crafting Recipe you no longer need to actually craft that structure anymore.

(So please stop wasting Resources building Alchemy Engines etc.. when you no longer NEED them.) 

You still very much need a Science Machine Though to open up your earned Curios.

I also base in Meteors- because as I stated in that other thread, if you move far enough away when Meteors start falling, they won’t continue to crash into your base when your out of render distance.

On 1/5/2020 at 8:01 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I just want to add that if you play mostly Alone- it’s actually better NOT to have a big base and to instead just have a whole bunch of Smaller bases with only the bare essentials, (Campfire, Endo Fire, Cookpot, Science Machine) all over the map- Remember that once you’ve Learned a crafting Recipe you no longer need to actually craft that structure anymore.

(So please stop wasting Resources building Alchemy Engines etc.. when you no longer NEED them.) 

You still very much need a Science Machine Though to open up your earned Curios.

I also base in Meteors- because as I stated in that other thread, if you move far enough away when Meteors start falling, they won’t continue to crash into your base when your out of render distance.

Just wanna comment about the meteor thing, no. It still crashes even out of render distance from my experience atleast.

On 1/4/2020 at 10:47 PM, auron471 said:

So last night i was playing some DST. I was playing a modded character, and i was struggling to maintain my hunger and sanity because of how the character worked. (and because i suck)

Then spring rolls around, and im like "oh cool my dragon fruits will grow faster now"

Then i come back to my base and see moose goose *slowly* smashing my fences. So i did the only logical thing. Punch it then lure it away from my base. 

One day later: It wanders back to my base and kills all my pigs. At this point i managed to eat some food. (still insane though)

I proceed to try to kill the moose goose, so it doesnt annihilate my base. I kill it.

"I should make a wall/box around the egg so the babies dont kill me" Too late, i get back to my base and the babies are eating all of my berry bushes. They all start chasing me and tornadoing me (It was my first time ever fighting moslings)

My football helm breaks and im at about 30ish hp. So i get the great idea of lureing them to the sleeping bearger and getting them to attack it. Doesnt work, they all miss bearger and i go insane because of the aura. 

Nightmare creatures start spawning really quickly.

15ish hp now, 10 hunger, 0 sanity, no armor, no food.

I spend the next 2 in-game days running back and forth between my base and the forest trying to pick up items to make weapons, armor and picking up any seeds i find so i dont starve, all while dodging nightmare creatures and tornadoes (moslings are surprisingly easy to fight though).

Wasnt a fun experience, very frustrating.

For me, that's what makes Dont Starve fun, you made a mistake and you try to fix it in your own creative way. Honestly, it's much more enjoyable for me to just endure the hardships rather than winning all the way.

Yeah, something similar happened to me once, except this time I DID see the nest site--I just thought "Pff, there's lots of other places it could go, what are the odds that OH HI MAMA GOOSE.  Smashing up half my walls to make room for your babies to run around?  Good, good..."

dstcivday234dammitmamagoose.png.e225365f1985a9b51a0fea5c95b7bcbe.png

"MY house!  MINE!!"

I went off to my spring-base area (where I was going anyway, to move my traps over to the frog ponds) and just stayed out of her way...except for whenever hounds showed up.  If you're gonna take over my house, you are GOING to pay RENT, dammit.  

dstcivday237beuseful.png.b028d51d93368a5856d9c40a8ea264a7.png

The Spring Giant is actually a very reasonable hound-extermination system--works for free, too!  Just as long as you're not stupid like I was and build your walls right over a circle of straw.  : P

...Notorious

Archived