Obsidian boulders and how to deal with them?

So I have some large obsidian boulders in my map. They're pretty hot as expected. 

However I don't know of any effective means to mine them to clear up space without having their heat mess up basically everything. They're a pretty big obstacle to (base) expansion  to be honest. 

I tried inserting rows of steel metal tiles into one while running a steam turbine cooling loop through the tiles in order to generate power while cooling them down to a manageable temperature but this is... Slow to say the least. 

Does anyone know of anything? 

8 hours ago, nam132 said:

use liquid lock and dig all the hot rocks out in vacuum, sweep them into a tile and cover it up with insulated tiles. Use them when u have the means to deal with it.

This is how most biomes should be dealt with. Cut in safely, prevent any escape, demolish everything to debris then sort and cap the debris or make a small pond at the bottom to stop offgassing.

3 hours ago, caffeinated21 said:

let everything else be a wasteland.

I have considered it, like Francis does, but I dont like it. I like to have as much of the asteroid as possible be safe for my dupes. And I like the look of natural tiles and different rooms. My minecraft bases always tried to incorporate natural features and avoid completely terraformed areas.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:38 PM, KILLABUDZ said:

This is how most biomes should be dealt with...demolish everything to debris...

1 hour ago, KILLABUDZ said:

And I like the look of natural tiles and different rooms

These seem like conflicting statements ;) 

(the quoting got all f***ed up and I don’t know how to fix it)

2 minutes ago, caffeinated21 said:

These seem like conflicting statements ;) 

Kinda, but it depends on the case, even going for a semi natural base you still need to clear space, cant run pipes and wires through nat tiles, and biomes with things you want need to be mined out. You can strip mine individual biomes and still leave a huge amount of nat tiles around.

And then rebuild natural tiles with the mod buildable natural tiles :)

Archived