Doors.. when do they crush things and when not?

I'm confused about when doors destroy things and when they don't.  I thought that they always try to push things out to some open side, and if none is open, the stuff is destroyed.  But then how does it work when you close a door on ice to melt it?  It doesn't kick the ice out until it melts, then it kicks the water out.  How can both of these things be true?

1 hour ago, psusi said:

I'm confused about when doors destroy things and when they don't.  I thought that they always try to push things out to some open side, and if none is open, the stuff is destroyed.  But then how does it work when you close a door on ice to melt it?  It doesn't kick the ice out until it melts, then it kicks the water out.  How can both of these things be true?

Looks like you have a mesh tile near door. Mesh tile allow liquids, but not allow debrices (ice)

Just now, Prince Mandor said:

Looks like you have a mesh tile near door. Mesh tile allow liquids, but not allow debrices (ice)

Yes, but why does the ice not get destroyed since it can't be pushed out anywhere?

1 hour ago, Prince Mandor said:

Why it must be destroyed?

Objects can be inside tiles, and door is just a tile

I thought you could use doors to crush and destroy regolith, but maybe it's only liquids and gasses you can do that with?

28 minutes ago, psusi said:

I thought you could use doors to crush and destroy regolith, but maybe it's only liquids and gasses you can do that with?

Regolith as debris or regolith as tile of material?

You cannot put one tile into another tile, but you can put any amount of debris. Regolith, sand and snow can falls as full tile, or can be digged and became a debris – object on a floor

Yea.... I get it now... the doors can only turn the tile into debris and move the debris, but not destroy it.  It's just odd that solid objects can all exist as debris inside the door, but not liquids and gasses.

17 hours ago, psusi said:

Yea.... I get it now... the doors can only turn the tile into debris and move the debris, but not destroy it.  It's just odd that solid objects can all exist as debris inside the door, but not liquids and gasses.

Debris can exist inside doors. Gasses and liquids can`t change into debris unles bottled. It wouldn`t make sense for the doors to bottle gasses or liquids.

Btw do doors destroy stuff still? I thought they teleport it to the first free tile above.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

Btw do doors destroy stuff still? I thought they teleport it to the first free tile above.

I've been using them to destroy chlorine and the thread the other day about the space scanner column showed horizontal doors moving regolith to the side.

Piles of stuff act differently to gasses with regard to doors.

The door crusher is a crap way to move debris around, I have never liked it, I just used it because space debris clearing is a royal pain in the ass and I wanted a cheap and dirty way to clear it with minimal effort.

A better way would be to have a top row of horizontal doors for crushing the regolith and another row of doors below this orientated vertically with buffers between each door to delay them closing, thus pushing debris to the open door that is still buffered open.

19 hours ago, RonEmpire said:

Unless they fixed it. It's possible to destroy stuff   if you're looking to do that using the ore dump station where the dumping is faced towards a wall.   I've actually see stuff disappear completely when it has no where to go.    

If that were true then the ice in a door trick wouldn't work since the ice would be destroyed.  It seems that you can only use a door to destroy liquids and gasses, but not solids.

8 hours ago, psusi said:

I should add here that solid tiles like sand or regolith that are crushed in the door do not turn into debris but rather are destroyed outright.

I've tested this several times, not all of it gets destroyed.

21 minutes ago, Craigjw said:

I've tested this several times, not all of it gets destroyed.

Are you sure?  I went into sandbox mode and repeatedly dropped tiles of regolith and they all got destroyed.  It was only when I spawned a dupe and mined it first, then opened and closed the doors that the regolith debris remained.  Also I'm pretty sure that I watched the bunker doors open in normal mode and I counted the mass of the regolith debris sitting on them and after the doors crunched it, only that much mass was sitting on the side, not any extra from the full tiles.

Archived