Sweeper not moving items between containers

7 minutes ago, Gurgel said:

I would expect so too. Although I have never tried this configuration. But sweepers definitely can take from storage compactors. Is the generator enabled? I think dupes only deliver to a running generator.

Yes, it's running. The same automation wire enables the sweeper and generator when the battery is low. And if I make the compactor drop some coal by lowering max capacity the sweeper will pick it up and load into the generator.

Already tried reloading my world.

Dupes and sweepers function exactly the same as far as what they can/cannot deliver to, except for conveyor loaders, which can be set to not allow manual interaction. Dupes can sometimes override a delivery that otherwise would have been taken by a sweeper, due to priorities, even if the sweeper would have been a FAR better choice for time savings. One example is this coal generator being filled by dupes who might be halfway across the map, and they reserve the task for themselves, even though there is a sweeper with available coal right there.

Coal generators are a bit dumb as far as delivery is concerned, as they can only be filled with coal when they drop below the fuel threshold you set in them, which defaults to 50%. If the coal generator is <50% fuel, no coal can be delivered, by dupe or sweeper. Setting a higher threshold doesn't really help either, because if you set it to "fill if >100% full" then dupes/sweepers will constantly put tiny amounts in it to top it off.

A solution to this problem is to have an automatic dispenser nearby that dupes can reach, but lock the door to the generator so that they can't reach it to refill it. There's no reason to give dupes access, and it's not really worth tuning up a coal generator.

ffffffaaaaaaaaa.png.8bbea731fd287cf336373026003e1f46.png

Here's my setup, dupes throw coal into the dispensors from above, it gets dropped into the room below where they can't reach, and the sweepers do the filling as needed. No containers needed, and it's super simple.

50 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

A solution to this problem is to have an automatic dispenser nearby that dupes can reach, but lock the door to the generator so that they can't reach it to refill it.

Hahaha, complex! You have obviously invested quite a while into this. Thanks for sharing!

59 minutes ago, crypticorb said:

Dupes can sometimes override a delivery that otherwise would have been taken by a sweeper, due to priorities, even if the sweeper would have been a FAR better choice for time savings.

Weird, because this used to work properly in the past, and it really makes no sense either. Sweepers should not care about orders, they should only care about having a higher and a lower priority container and move things between.

And right now in my further testing it seems the sweeper will just never fill the generator, at all. It puts coal back into the bin if I make it drop. :|

I've never had a problem with bins and coal gens. Try changing the slider on the coal gen.

The only issue that I've come across is that the loader won't recognise the bin and fail to access is completely, regardless of priorities etc.  I find a reload fixes this, but it's not associated with coal gens in particular, just a bug with loaders.

First, try to remove corner tile, just left of the sweeper. Possibly something weird happens and sweeper do not see storage bin. I'm sure this is not a problem, but it takes a seconds to check.

Second, put mesh door and block all dupes from visiting this place. Most often there are task "supply generator from storage bin", and this task reserved for dupe. As long as task reserved, no one else try to do exactly same task, include sweeper. I'm sure this is a case.

Third thing, it may be coal generator problems. Generator asks for more coal only if batteries below threshold and it is enabled by automation

Archived