So pip ranching

Does anyone do it?  I mean actually grooming them, not just keeping one around to plant seeds?  If I just did the math correctly, you get about 0.25 watts per gram of lumber from the ethanol route, but if you ranch pips and let them turn the wood into dirt, then feed the dirt to sage hatches for coal, then you get about 0.6 watts per gram of lumber.  Plus meat and egg shells.  Seems kind of crazy doesn't it?  And if you have phosphorite to spare ( and who doesn't? ) and some polluted water, you can turn the dirt into fertilizer first before feeding the hatches for even more coal, meat, egg shells, and some natural gas.

Unfortunately it looks like you need 7 pips for every 1 sage hatch.  You can easily feed 14 of them from one wild tree but that's a lot of critter grooming.

1 hour ago, nakomaru said:

Nah. Power is solved with ng geysers / oil wells / solar without the need for esoteric conversion paths to coal.

Oddly, I have yet to find a dang NG geyser on my current map.  Got a hydrogen vent that is finally going to wake back up soon now that I finished building the tamer around it.  Otherwise power so far has been from the electrolyzer, coal, and ethanol.  So far besides the hydrogen vent I've found two open cool steam, one open and one buried salt water, one polluted water, two infectious polluted oxygen, and one chlorine vents.  Are you not guaranteed to have at least 1 NG geyser right near the starting area any more?

1 hour ago, Craigjw said:

NG vents were never guaranteed to be positioned near the starting biome, they can be anywhere.

I thought they could only be in swamp biomes, and those are normally clustered around the starting biome.  In all of my previous maps I've found one or two in a swamp biome right next to the starting biome.  Then again I thought the wiki said salt water geysers are supposed to be in salt biomes and I have one sandwiched between a swamp and caustic biome.

10 minutes ago, psusi said:

I thought they could only be in swamp biomes, and those are normally clustered around the starting biome.  In all of my previous maps I've found one or two in a swamp biome right next to the starting biome.  Then again I thought the wiki said salt water geysers are supposed to be in salt biomes and I have one sandwiched between a swamp and caustic biome.

There are 2 location probabilities for NG locations and they can be generated in two different biomes, one of them is the slime biome.  The fact you have found them near the start location just means your lucky

If you really want to ranch hatches for coal then stone hatches are more effective than sage.  

True the 50% conversation rate my look bad but it's easier to feed 2 stone hatches for the same amount of coal you get from feeding 1 sage hatch

Archived