GetRektKids    496

Honestly, that's a really good point. I see the cave portal, and can be many underground can't there? 

I see it as pointless right now. Klei does need to change it.

• Like 3

Bee2017    218

The cave portal can be upgraded it just can't be used.        I think the dev. need to revisit it.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Mrklli    696

I want to have some use for Portal Paraphernalia in caves. I'd love to be able to change my character there but I understand the lore-point. It makes more sense if we're not able to use moon magic there. BUT if that's the case I'd like to have another way to modify the portal that works in caves but not above the ground. Right now the cave portal in most worlds is just sad, abandoned and unloved. I want that to change.

Maybe the modified cave portal could be used to summon you minions for a limited time, like ghosts of the ancients, to give you a hand?

Edited by Mrklli
  • Thanks 1

GetRektKids    496
20 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

Cave portal was the default spawning option for caves-only worlds - that's the reason for its existence. Sadly it seems Klei nixed said caves-only setup from world generation menu options (preset = "DST_CAVE" - yet can be achieved via worldgenoverride.lua manual modification; more about such custom presets here).

As for inability to upgrade use moon-rocks-upgraded Cave Portal for switching characters, I think it has to do with lore and same reason Moon Dial doesn't function in Caves: Cave shard is supposed to be the domain of Shadows, a polar-opposite to Moon Magic, Lunacy and a general anti-"Moon" concept. Thus can't have Moon Magic (linked to moon-light hybridization-mutagenesis/resurrection in advanced forms) in the Shadow's mystic realm (appanage of Shadow Creatures transmigration) as per current vice-versa mechanic: Shadows not being able to take form on Lunar Island - at least that's the theory.

(If I remember correctly devs mentioned at some point certain plans to give some functionality to Moon Dial in caves, but with current "Return of Them" concepts I believe such idea was scrapped)

Aaahaa!!! 

I was browsing character quotes, and I think there is a reason why the moon dial doesn't work in the caves. 

Wolfgang:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "Moon is shy in cave!"

Moon Rock IdolMoon Rock Idol- "Hehe. Is funny little moon man."     ---->  Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Is too scary in here for funny man to work."

Wendy:

Moon DialMoon Dial (in Caves)- "Caves. The moon's one weakness."

Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "I can't... not in here."

• Like 2

reverentsatyr    2,479
16 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

Moon Rock IdolMoon Rock Idol- "Hehe. Is funny little moon man."     ---->  Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Is too scary in here for funny man to work."

Wendy:

Wow, this is incredibly interesting. I would understand if the moon just doesn't work because there's little light underground, but that's really interesting that the moon is scared or weak in the caves. I thought the moon and the nightmare creatures had a strong correlation?

GetRektKids    496
Just now, reverentsatyr said:

Wow, this is incredibly interesting. I would understand if the moon just doesn't work because there's little light underground, but that's really interesting that the moon is scared or weak in the caves. I thought the moon and the nightmare creatures had a strong correlation?

HOLD UP I HAVE A THEORY ON THIS GIMME MINUTE

1 minute ago, reverentsatyr said:

Alright! So! I found some interesting charcter quotes based around the moon. 

Wolfgang:

Moon Rock IdolMoon Rock Idol- "Hehe. Is funny little moon man."     ---->  Can't build Celestial Portal (in Caves)- "Is too scary in here for funny man to work."

Wendy:

It seems that the moon does NOT like the caves. and with the Wolfgang quote. That one is a bit iffy because he does refer to himself as "Funny Man" quite a bit, but I saw that these two went hand and hand. But yes, the developers were planning on adding in the working moon dial in caves, until the new turn of tides...... I wonder why...... 

Is it possible that the Ancients moved underground because of the Moon?  The Moon does promise protection.....

Wendy:

Moon Rock Wall BuildMoon Rock Wall- "The moon... she whispers promises of protection to me."

This does kind of fight my previous arguement with Wolfgang because Wendy calls the Moon a She, while Wolfgang says Funny Man (To be fair Wolfgang is like REALLY stoopid, and he could just be being a stoopid head) 

BACK TO THE ANCIENTS POINT: So yes they do "Promise Protection" but I'm assuming the Moon is protecting everyone from nightmare creatures. BUT before the Ancients went underground there were no "Nightmares" (THANKS ANCIENTS) So I think the Moon was a bit mean to the ancients forcing them underground. (The moon is shown to be a meanie head on Lunar Island) 

IMAGE BELOW:

image.thumb.png.840f80ed9e548042a1de0fd739b760a7.png

So! That's my theory on the moon earlyy back in the day before Maxwell RULED the world. 

I could be VERY wrong about this, and if you tried..... You could PROBABLY find holes in my theory, but all I have to say is....

\__("/)__/

• Like 1

Sunset Skye    4,875
36 minutes ago, reverentsatyr said:

that's really interesting that the moon is scared or weak in the caves.

35 minutes ago, GetRektKids said:

It seems that the moon does NOT like the caves

This is reading way too much into character quotes imo. The moon doesn't have an effect in the caves because... the caves are underground. I really think it's that simple, there's a layer of ground between the moon and the caves.
I especially don't think Wolfgang quotes should be read into so much. Characters don't know everything, they can only comment on what they see. Wolfgang sees that the moon idol looks like it has a little head and arms, so he calls it a funny little moon man, he also sees that the moon dial doesn't have a reflection in the caves, and so he comes to the silly conclusion that the moon is simply too nervous to appear, it's not a sign that Wolfgang has some secret moon knowledge.

Edited by Sunset Skye
  • Like 1

minespatch    62,179
2 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

Wolfgang sees that the moon idol looks like it has a little head and arms,

latest?cb=20180928103307

To be fair, it does kind of look like Maxwell in the body area.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

GetRektKids    496
3 minutes ago, Sunset Skye said:

This is reading way too much into character quotes imo. The moon doesn't have an effect in the caves because... the caves are underground. I really think it's that simple, there's a layer of ground between the moon and the caves.
I especially don't think Wolfgang quotes should be read into so much. Characters don't know everything, they can only comment on what they see. Wolfgang sees that the moon idol looks like it has a little head and arms, so he calls it a funny little moon man, he also sees that the moon dial doesn't have a reflection in the caves, and so he comes to the silly conclusion that the moon is simply too nervous to appear, it's not a sign that Wolfgang has some secret moon knowledge.

I have a more updated version on the "Interesting Character Quotes" thread