Ranching vertically.

19 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Unless you resort to ranching methods I dont like, from what I have read a huge reed farm is going to be less laggy than an equivalent producing drecko farm, and probably use about the same amount of dupe time per unit produced. Do you have a source for the maths and testing of these methods against each other?

No; I just refuse to waste precious water on reed fiber when I can get them plus meat from ranching.  You also didn't used to need more than a few reed fibers for atmo suits... I have yet to try the new carpeted tiles so maybe for those I'll need a lot of reed fiber.. we'll see.

2 hours ago, psusi said:

No; I just refuse to waste precious water on reed fiber when I can get them plus meat from ranching.  You also didn't used to need more than a few reed fibers for atmo suits... I have yet to try the new carpeted tiles so maybe for those I'll need a lot of reed fiber.. we'll see.

Wild reed farms are an option, they literally require nothing. If you were on an asteroid like rime with zero dreckos, you'd have to rely on thimble reeds for fiber.

Carpet tiles are nice, but the real resource sink for reed fiber is insulation. You need a LOT of insulation for long-term LOX and hydrogen production. Paintings and clothes/suits takes some, but not a lot.

22 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Irrigation and automated irrigation are not the same thing.
" Planter Box

The Planter Box is early available after researching Basic Farming. It can grow Mealwood, Bristle Blossom, and Sleet Wheat. It does not allow Irrigation.

Farm Tile

The Farm Tile is available after researching Meal Preparation. It can grow Mealwood, Bristle Blossom, Sleet Wheat, Pincha Pepper and Wheezewort. It allows fertilization and manual irrigation. "

This must just be really badly written then, which is part of what makes this game difficult is how hard it is to get accurate info.
"It does not allow Irrigation."
" It allows fertilization and manual irrigation. "

There's no functional difference between the planter box and the farm tile, except the planter box raises the plant up one tile and is not a solid tile. This can be an advantage for farms when water is on the floor, or when you want airflow tiles below your farm. Farm tiles are better if you have a plant that doesn't need irrigation, but needs a specialized gas, like mushrooms or balm lillies.

4 hours ago, psusi said:

waste precious water

Well I am either capping geysers or using it. I have a 30c PW geyser at the bottom of my base and a cool slush geyser cooling my batteries and transformers before joining it. This is then throttled to a rate where it uses all the overflow from my bathrooms first. And then I have a salt water geyser im not even touching right now along with my 2 tamed steam vents. Probably because I am still pretty new to the game, I dont know what to do with all the water right now. I have a small array of reservoirs full of O & H waiting for my LOX chamber to cool down. Think I botched the layout pretty well this time but I didnt want to copy paste someone elses design so im just winging it.

Carpet tiles seem inferior to metal tiles for the move speed, they use 2 reed fiber per tile, 20 decor compared to 15 or 22.5 for metal.
My goal with the reeds is to make a lot of insulation. It uses 5 fiber to make 100kg. It takes 200kg to make a tile or 400kg to make insulated insulation tile. The game displays both of them as 0.000 thermal conductivity but I dont know yet if this is a rounding problem and there is actually a slight difference, how big that is Im not sure, but I am building 200kg tiles atm as the number is still far better (infinitely better?) than ceramic and mafic insulation tiles. So 10 fiber per block, or 20 if you make insulated tiles of insulation. Maybe im going a little overboard but by my estimate im going to want to produce a few hundred tons of insulation at least.

2 hours ago, crypticorb said:

You need a LOT of insulation for long-term LOX and hydrogen production.

Yeah as I dont want to use pipe throttling mechanics to avoid state changes etc to cheat my way around insulation I estimate its basically a never enough situation.

6 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Wild reed farms are an option, they literally require nothing. If you were on an asteroid like rime with zero dreckos, you'd have to rely on thimble reeds for fiber.

Doesn't the printing pod give them sometimes?  Maybe not...  that would suck not being able to use them for plastic.

6 hours ago, crypticorb said:

Carpet tiles are nice, but the real resource sink for reed fiber is insulation. You need a LOT of insulation for long-term LOX and hydrogen production. Paintings and clothes/suits takes some, but not a lot.

Is insulation really required?  I would think that if somehow 1 tile thick of ceramic insulated tile isn't enough, surely 2x is?  Or you can always use vacuum.

14 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Well I am either capping geysers or using it. I have a 30c PW geyser at the bottom of my base and a cool slush geyser cooling my batteries and transformers before joining it. This is then throttled to a rate where it uses all the overflow from my bathrooms first. And then I have a salt water geyser im not even touching right now along with my 2 tamed steam vents. Probably because I am still pretty new to the game, I dont know what to do with all the water right now.

I see what you mean.  In the past I've only ever had cool steam vents for water and it took work to cool them down, so water was always very precious.  Now I have a pwater vent that is belching up more cool water than I know what to do with.

12 hours ago, psusi said:

Doesn't the printing pod give them sometimes?  Maybe not...  that would suck not being able to use them for plastic.

It does, but the odds are not in your favor for getting a drecko. There are about 50 different care packages you can get from the welfare pod, but only 2 of them are dreckos. Keeping them alive long enough to get a sustainable ranch going is hard too, as they have minimum temperature requirements, as well as the plants to feed them.

Is insulation really required?  I would think that if somehow 1 tile thick of ceramic insulated tile isn't enough, surely 2x is?  Or you can always use vacuum.

The issue is when you have pipes, even insulated ceramic ones, running through walls or next to rockets. Walls will exchange heat with the pipes, and the liquid hydrogen will gladly suck the heat out of the insulated pipes, and it doesn't take much to boil it in the pipe.

Next to rockets, even insulated pipes will get heated up by the rocket exhaust, so perfect insulation is required to not boil the hydrogen or oxygen. Even if you drain the pipes before launch, the pipes still get heated.

I had to get mine from the pod somewhere around cycle 100-130 I think it was.

Vacuum is a bit annoying to deal with and requires 3 tile width. Lower TC just means better efficiency in the long term and ability to path cold and hot things closer without exchanging energy.

8 hours ago, crypticorb said:

It does, but the odds are not in your favor for getting a drecko. There are about 50 different care packages you can get from the welfare pod, but only 2 of them are dreckos. Keeping them alive long enough to get a sustainable ranch going is hard too, as they have minimum temperature requirements, as well as the plants to feed them

You know that you can save the game before checking the printables and if you don't like the options, reload and you get new choices?  Also if you leave them wild, they will lay and egg to replace themselves before they die, so you can keep them as long as you need to start ranching.

8 hours ago, crypticorb said:

The issue is when you have pipes, even insulated ceramic ones, running through walls or next to rockets. Walls will exchange heat with the pipes, and the liquid hydrogen will gladly suck the heat out of the insulated pipes, and it doesn't take much to boil it in the pipe.

For liquid hydrogen I can see that, but LOX I'd bet you can do without insulation by not routing it next to rocket exhaust, and keeping the pipes in either insulated ceramic tiles or vacuum.

8 hours ago, KILLABUDZ said:

Vacuum is a bit annoying to deal with and requires 3 tile width. Lower TC just means better efficiency in the long term and ability to path cold and hot things closer without exchanging energy.

Sure insulation is convenient but you can get by without it.

Archived