Make Live Fish a Crockpot Ingredient

I don't really know if suggestion threads for the beta belong in the suggestions subforum or the Return of Them subforum. I feel that this one is more fit for it, but please do move the thread and let me know if these threads are better placed in the Suggestions & Feedback subforum.

Anyway, I think live fish should be a crockpot ingredient. A few of the fish-based crockpot recipes in the game feature fish (or their skeletons) rather than just the meat (Fish Tacos, Seafood Gumbo and Fish Cordon Bleu come to mind) while others only have fish meat (like Fishsticks, California Roll, Surf & Turf, and Moqueca). I think it would make sense to make live fish crockpot ingredients and have them be a requirement for the former set of dishes. That'd also fix the current issue of freshwater fish not being enough to make Fish Cordon Bleu despite the fact that the recipe's image clearly contains freshwater fish. Some of the weird fish could also be used for specific recipes (Corn Cod could count as corn in the crockpot, and maybe Mudfish could be the main requirement for the Mud Pie from the Year of the Pig event, in case the belts ever do get implemented into the base game)

What do you think?

All this new fishing system is just great, but now the thing we need is to make it worthy !

So using live fishes as a Crock Pot ingredient is a good start, but more than that, their size should also be used for some mechanics more than showcasing (even if this is enough for me to farm for the 300.00 fish :wilson_incredulous:), my first request is to slightly increase loot for the Merm King so Wurt get some positive stuff from fishing in the ocean instead of ponds.

I'm for the idea that different fishes can be used to make different recipes (though cooking fish live is weird to me, but what do I know about fishing).

I'm still messing around with the new fishing mechanics, but from what I seeing, the main reason to catch a variety of fish is solely for bragging rights for the Fish Scale-O-Matic. 

Outside of that, most of the fish drop the same Fish Meat, even though some of them are harder to catch than others and the full fish value is needed for recipes like Ceviche, Seafood Gumbo, Surf N Turf and Fish Cordon Bleu (Fish Morsels on their own don't provide enough of the needed fish values).

As it is right now, I'm more interested in the full fish value than the new fishes themselves, so I might even avoid the new fishing all together and go catch Eels instead (they give the full fish value I want, seems faster and easier to accumulate than fishing in the ocean. Again, still messing around with it). 

Make fishing worthy / worth it, as @ADM said. 

2 hours ago, Electroely said:

That'd also fix the current issue of freshwater fish not being enough to make Fish Cordon Bleu despite the fact that the recipe's image clearly contains freshwater fish.

Not if they don't change the current recipe for Fish Cordon Bleu or make it so that the Live Pond Fish is still a fish value of 0.5 fish. They'd have to either make it so that 2 Live Pond Fish is valid for the recipe (which is plausible) or that Live Pond Fish counts as a full fish value (which would be weird since murdering it gives 0.5 fish).

35 minutes ago, ADM said:

All this new fishing system is just great, but now the thing we need is to make it worthy !

So using live fishes as a Crock Pot ingredient is a good start, but more than that, their size should also be used for some mechanics more than showcasing (even if this is enough for me to farm for the 300.00 fish :wilson_incredulous:), my first request is to slightly increase loot for the Merm King so Wurt get some positive stuff from fishing in the ocean instead of ponds.

I think increasing the loot per fish for the harder/heavier catches would make sense for the Merm King. I like that idea.

Also, if Klei is willing to change the crockpot code enough, they could implement a system that allows crockpot recipes to measure the total weight of the fish put in them, and recipes with minimum fish weight requirements (or variants dependent on the weight of fish used) could be added to give the weight system relevance in gameplay, assuming it's not meant solely for bragging right purposes (which seems likely to me, in all honesty).

12 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

though cooking fish live is weird to me

I've never cooked stuff IRL so I wouldn't really know how it works, haha. But the way I see it, once the perish timer for the live fish runs out they turn to spoiled fish rather than dying into their meat version like other critters normally do. This leads me to assume that the live fish items themselves could be used for cooking (as fish IRL does, and as fish items in the game used to). They'd otherwise have to implement dead versions of the fish if they were to be used for special recipes. Plus, you can already use live moleworms in the crockpot soo i dunno how much weirder you can get with that

18 minutes ago, lakhnish said:

Not if they don't change the current recipe for Fish Cordon Bleu or make it so that the Live Pond Fish is still a fish value of 0.5 fish. They'd have to either make it so that 2 Live Pond Fish is valid for the recipe (which is plausible) or that Live Pond Fish counts as a full fish value (which would be weird since murdering it gives 0.5 fish).

I think the recipe would have to be changed to specifically check for fish, the same way it specifically checks for frog legs. That's the suggestion I had in mind for this, at least. If going by the second idea, live fish could have a fish value of 1 regardless of whether they're small or not, but their meat value would be .5 or 1 depending on the size of the fish. That way there would be a significant difference between live fish and dead fish, and small fish and big fish.

15 minutes ago, Electroely said:

Plus, you can already use live moleworms in the crockpot soo i dunno how much weirder you can get with that

Ah, I totally forgot about moles. Then I'm 100% for Live Fish in the crockpots! 

It would make wanting to catch the variety of fish totally worth the hassle (if they get cool recipes with them).

21 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Live fish can now be placed in the Crock Pot

Latest update at the time of writing (you can press the image.png.2a4748e01fd1c2e46442121c058e625d.png button in the quote to get to the original post).

From what I'm seeing, the crockpot values are all identical to the murdering drop of the fish (where small fish have .5 meat .5 fish and large fish have 1 meat 1 fish). The popcorn glub glub and Corn Cod have the crockpot value of 1 veggie.

The Fish Cordon Bleu recipe was adjusted to require 1 fish rather than 2 (meaning you can use freshwater fish in it again).

No other recipes were changed as far as I can tell, including Powdercake and Fish Tacos which will not take popcorn glub glub or Corn Cod instead of the required corn. I hope this gets changed in the next patch but I'm not complaining. I'm very glad they made live fish useable in the crockpot at all: it opens up opportunities for fish-specific dishes in the future and allows modders to more easily make use of these fish in custom crockpot recipes.

I'm glad that cooking a live fish and and using its right-click-murder drops have identical outcomes; I never make Guacamole or the two lobster dishes from Shipwrecked because cooking live animals makes me sad. If DST does get recipes requiring a certain weight of fish in the future, I'd rather have the fish turn into an item upon death that retains its fish weight value.

In real life, the reason people cook shellfish alive is so it doesn't spoil before you can cook it. (Killing it immediately before cooking also works IRL but would be more complicated to add to the crockpot code.) I've seen, like, one species of fish being sold alive in the supermarket like the crabs and lobsters, but also lots of salmon, tuna, and cod filets being sold in the same way as cuts of beef or chicken.

Archived