Transit Tube Troubles

Recently I worked on my "Totally Tubular" achievement.  I had no problems getting it, but I did observe some anomalies.

1. Carrying an off-gassing substance through a stretch of tubes in vacuum will result in the substance off-gassing.  Example: Grabbing some slime and hopping in the tube will kill any vacuum rooms the tube travels through.
  2. A dupe with a soiled suit will also destroy a vacuum, including rooms that are only crossed by tubes.

image.thumb.png.a3ec3befbdadcc34fc2495e3135b7b0b.png

This small room was vacuum sealed as a thermal buffer.  This is no longer the case.  I'll have to break the seal and stick a small pump in there, now.

Anyway, just in case others weren't aware of this issue, I figured I'd post.

7 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

This small room was vacuum sealed as a thermal buffer.  This is no longer the case.  I'll have to break the seal and stick a small pump in there, now.

Why if any passing dupe will destroy the vacuum again?

4 minutes ago, Tobruk said:

Why if any passing dupe will destroy the vacuum again?

Its happened twice in something like 280 cycles, so it isn't a constant problem.  Restoring the vacuum will restore the thermal barrier.  If it was important for this room to maintain a vacuum continually, then I would re-route the tubes.  But in this case, having it break occasionally isn't a big deal.  Besides, I used this mostly as an example of the problem with TUBEs.

This is one of the reasons I do not like the tube system. There is very little thermal stability for them and you can easily make areas accessible without them. They do improve movement straight up though. Has anyone done any tests with athletics, tile bonuses, and tubes yet? There was another interesting post that had me question the logistics of travel. Also, i have noticed that dupes prioritize certain traveling patterns and I'd like to see an all inclusive post about that one day, but it is mostly common sense anyways.

As a side note, one of my ideas for the fastest a dupe could travel would be a door trap that sends them falling to their destination.

5 hours ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

This is one of the reasons I do not like the tube system. There is very little thermal stability for them and you can easily make areas accessible without them. They do improve movement straight up though. Has anyone done any tests with athletics, tile bonuses, and tubes yet? There was another interesting post that had me question the logistics of travel. Also, i have noticed that dupes prioritize certain traveling patterns and I'd like to see an all inclusive post about that one day, but it is mostly common sense anyways.

As a side note, one of my ideas for the fastest a dupe could travel would be a door trap that sends them falling to their destination.

I'm pretty sure not too long ago on here  I saw a post demonstrating that tubes were out and out faster going down than a pole, and also unaffected by athletics.

I may be misremembering some of that though, so I'll go searching for the thread in the morning.

8 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

..so it isn't a constant problem...

Same here.
I tried to figure it out some time ago, but couldn't.
Perhaps it's lag related?
I thought it happens, when they cancel their action inside the tube.
Then i thought it happens random, based on lag, outside pressure and the material emitt cycle, but why should pressure outside of tubes, be a thing..
After that i thought, i should stop thinking about it and better change my transport tubes pipes layout.
When i order no emitting material through sensitive areas (vacuum), it disturbs nothing.
My last thoughts are: It could always happen and i have to check sensitive areas from time to time, where i route TT through.
Final thoughts and Hotfix: Don't build TT in sensitive areas.
vac.jpg.ed27e6fe10fcc04c4df378d6b949ed40.jpg

Archived