Tiny tutorial for A flat step-free waterlock

11 minutes ago, Neotuck said:

Unless there was an update/hot fix that I didn't know about, dupes will step down and up 1 tile deep gaps

Can any one confirm?

At least last year they were jumping over gaps, here's a post from this one guy.

36 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

At least last year they were jumping over gaps, here's a post from this one guy.

Image result for d'oh gif

I remember why I switched from 3 liquid to 4 liquid air locks

In the event a dupe starts to suffocate they will run to the lock in order to breath the O2 on the other side

However a dupe doesn't need to be inside a block of O2 in order to breath it in one of my past experiments  

20181129013255_1.thumb.jpg.b6d92f06f0482c0f913076e7032280e0.jpg20181129013306_1.thumb.jpg.d585c26bdbfdea208c1d2e08aa133b0f.jpg20181129013329_1.thumb.jpg.a7146d7ac47b32d852b532582b317cc4.jpg

When that happens a dupe will stop inside the liquid to catch it's breath, and break it due to exhaling CO2

having a 2 block dip prevents this forcing the dupe to jump the gap

4 hours ago, KittenIsAGeek said:

I've found one more method of stacked liquids breaking.  This particular airlock broke when I opened an over-compressed room and one side temporarily had a pressure over 20kg of gas.  it pushed the top liquid off the stack and broke the airlock.

image.png.cd0d736f9ab1ecbb00606907a7c02559.png

This won't break for any pressure of gas, but it will break if you excavate the tile adjacent to the oil before the one adjacent to petroleum, for a similar reason to the bypass pump. This will often happen if you send an excavate command to both at the same time.

9 minutes ago, nakomaru said:

This won't break for any pressure of gas, but it will break if you excavate the tile adjacent to the oil before the one adjacent to petroleum, for a similar reason to the bypass pump. This will often happen if you send an excavate command to both at the same time.

I cracked open a room just outside of the screenshot area.  20kg of hydrogen spilled out on the left side.  It pushed the petrol off the crude, making it fall to the right.  No digging was done anywhere near the stack of liquids.

I'm in a survival game and only saving manually at periodic intervals, so I can't replicate the problem just yet.  However, I have had it happen twice.  In both cases, there was a vacuum on both sides.  On one side, the vacuum was broken with high-pressure gas.  The liquid stack fell away from the sudden gas pressure.

I have never had this happen when there was already gas on one side or the other of the stack.

On 10/20/2019 at 8:45 PM, KittenIsAGeek said:

I'm in a survival game and only saving manually at periodic intervals, so I can't replicate the problem just yet.  However, I have had it happen twice.  In both cases, there was a vacuum on both sides.  On one side, the vacuum was broken with high-pressure gas.  The liquid stack fell away from the sudden gas pressure.

I have never had this happen when there was already gas on one side or the other of the stack.

I've noticed high pressure gas can displacing standing waterlocks like this as well.  My submerged electrolyzer only had 10kg of oil/water in each tile and if the pressure in the oxygen area got above 10kg it would displace the water and make it way into the hydrogen area.  I fixed my issue by adding more water/disabling my electrolyzers if pressure in the room was too high, but I can agree that high pressure gas will displace waterlocks if it's a smaller amount of liquid than the gas.

Archived