[Discussion] The Ghost System

Me and my friends were rambling to each other on one of our worlds (Me dead, and him with too low Max HP to even make a heart), when we started talking about the ghost system and how it hasn't changed much over the years. It's a little weird, since it's a pretty major part of the game.I thought it'd be something cool to talk about with you guys. 

So, what are your thoughts? Would you change or add anything about it? Maybe ghostly abilities for each character? Or is it good death deterrent without causing all too much boredom?

I think it's ok the way it is, there's mechanics in place like haunting hounds and other tactics that I believe give ghosts more of a purpose than just being a weakened state. Also despite being unable to reveal the map it's a great way to scout ruins or lunar island, albeit a bit cheesy.

Well, even if I love the haunting system that have some great uses (like switching mushrooms... clearly), being a ghost is a bit like cheating with death and I'd like it to be MORE risky than just dying and saying "Don't worry I have 3k amulets at base... lel".

For example the server could check the Ghost percent on the server and haunt the world with a persistent enemy that looks for remaining players, like... A reaper ? That become faster with the percent, just a thought but I'd like that !

But yeah if the devs want to go this way they have to make the Ghosts a risky element to be rewarding, you escaped death dude !

Imagine areas where you can only go as a Ghost or being next to a Ghost friend, playing alone will give you a challenging timer, and playing with friends will make their life more intense if it have a higher potential of dying while there is other Ghosts. I'm absolutely okay with a Ghost's content chapter ! As long there is something to take with a backlash.

7 hours ago, ADM said:

...server could check the Ghost percent on the server and haunt the world with a persistent enemy that looks for remaining players, like... A reaper ? That become faster with the percent, just a thought but I'd like that !

This would be prone to abuse and griefing on pubs - not just once have I found myself alone in a long-running Survival server where 2-3 new chaps came, died (sometimes on purpose) and sat there, saying they want a server restart and if I don't do it they will just hang around as ghosts to "destroy my sanity" in an attempt to presumably kill me via Shadows (needless to say that only gave me nf and they left out of boredom at some point). Now imagine if this event could also spawn an unkillable Reaper searching for and inevitably nix me as well.

Regarding current ghost system, for all intents and purposes is ok in my book.

46 minutes ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

This would be prone to abuse and griefing on pubs - not just once did I found myself alone in a long-running Survival server where 2-3 new chaps came, died (sometimes on purpose) and sat there, saying they want a server restart and if I don't do it they will just hang around as ghosts to "destroy my sanity" in an attempt to presumably kill me via Shadows (needless to say that only gave me nf and they left out of boredom at some point). Now imagine if this event could also spawn an unkillable Reaper searching for and inevitably nix me as well.

Ah... yeah, for a moment I've completely forgot we can play this game with peoples we don't know. I just host and play on Friend Only servers so I've never encountered griefers :( So you're completely right about that !

Archived