Hey, new to the forums and wanted to share a bit of automation with everyone. It will send a UI alert as soon as something starts to go wrong so you don't have to find out when you're already in the middle of a food shortage or energy crisis. It's pretty simple, I'd be surprised if it hadn't been done before but my inspiration for designing my own was not being able to find one anywhere else. It's been real helpful for me, hope it is for some of y'all as well. :)

I like the idea, and I think there are other methods to do this as well, I'll have to come up with a list for you. You can also set a clock like notification as well using the schedule manager.

2 hours ago, Samson.ONI said:

Hey, new to the forums

This might help you use less water and space.   nevermind, doesn't flood the building in low pressure environment

This doesn't flood

5d92c43166a51_Annotation2019-09-30230802.png.cdd536f86ee616c27872fc7d8f9da2e7.png

This works however.

5d92c42f92a98_Annotation2019-09-30230312.thumb.png.dd97421ee87138df54affe34b778cc63.png

6 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

I like the idea, and I think there are other methods to do this as well, I'll have to come up with a list for you. You can also set a clock like notification as well using the schedule manager.

I'm not sure how a clock or the schedule manager would send me alerts when a system is failing, but I am definitely interested to learn.

7 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

This might help you use less water and space.

Not awfully concerned about water usage since its a one-time investment, but yeah I certainly see how this could be more compact and with the option to build the alarm into a floor/ceiling instead of a wall would definitely come in handy on those tight builds. Thanks for the tip Black Berrest, and thanks for all the archiving you have been up to. I've consumed a lot of ONI media on YouTube, Reddit, and the Discord and I can't believe how many brilliant designs are in the ONI University that I've never seen anywhere else. Great work man.

Just now, Samson.ONI said:

I'm not sure how a clock or the schedule manager would send me alerts when a system is failing

It wouldn't, it's more of a daily reminder.

Just now, Samson.ONI said:

Not awfully concerned about water usage since its a one-time investment, but yeah I certainly see how this could be more compact and with the option to build the alarm into a floor/ceiling instead of a wall would definitely come in handy on those tight builds. Thanks for the tip Black Berrest, and thanks for all the archiving you have been up to. I've consumed a lot of ONI media on YouTube, Reddit, and the Discord and I can't believe how many brilliant designs are in the ONI University that I've never seen anywhere else. Great work man.

Thanks! I believe there is a mod to get around this, but I know many people aren't accustomed to using them. The downside to the UI system is that these notifications can come from many sources, especially if you set something to repeat forever. I would stick with the flooding notification for now as that seems to be the less frequent of the two.

1 minute ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

It wouldn't, it's more of a daily reminder.

Ah, I see. I think that might serve a different purpose then, but it would serve a purpose nonetheless.

1 minute ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Thanks! I believe there is a mod to get around this, but I know many people aren't accustomed to using them. The downside to the UI system is that these notifications can come from many sources, especially if you set something to repeat forever. I would stick with the flooding notification for now as that seems to be the less frequent of the two.

Yeah I did hear there was a mod for it, and do I enjoy playing some games with mods but ONI is one that presents challenges in a certain way that require creativity and careful thought to overcome and that's what I love about it. I feel like a lot of mods would diminish that experience for me personally.

Well, the thing about the alert system is that it's not set to repeat, it's set to only send an alert when something has gone really wrong. And I very, very rarely do I get actual flood alerts so its a system that I have been able to depend on quite reliably.

Oh, I did test your suggestion by the way, the horizontal setup to save space. Unfortunately none of the variants could reliably send a flood alert when signaled to. I tried a few different horizontal setups but they each had their own reliability issues. I might mention I went through several stages of designs to get to this stage, and the original prototypes were actually horizontal, but not reliable enough to use for an emergency alert system. If you find a way to achieve that though I would love to see your take on the design!

So when the door is open, it doesn't send the "building lacks resource" notification. The same notification can be triggered by requesting a building like the rock crusher to be run an infinite amount of times as long as you have that material i.e eggshells set to infinity

Spoiler

and beyond

The frequency for this to occur normally is much higher than if a building was entombed or in your case, flooded.

8 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

So when the door is open, it doesn't send the "building lacks resource" notification. The same notification can be triggered by requesting a building like the rock crusher to be run an infinite amount of times as long as you have that material i.e eggshells set to infinity

Reveal hidden contents

and beyond

The frequency for this to occur normally is much higher than if a building was entombed or in your case, flooded.

Oh I see, yeah that is quite clever and very compact. Unfortunately, you're also right about the frequency, especially in my base. I have a lot of systems setup to process materials as they become available, so that alert would get lost in a mess of others. I like they way you are thinking though, I posted this on the reddit and it seemed like there was quite an market for alert systems. One user suggested overloading 1kW wires on yellow alert priority for repair, or using temperature triggered state-change medium. Even if only for novelty, there were a lot of interesting ideas going around. :)

I like your solution Samson. Clever.

There might be other and better solutions for the problem  but I never saw them posted before.  Great solutions are worthless if you can't find them when you need them, or you can't understand them due to poor presentation.

Your thread is easy to find and clear.  Thanks for sharing it.

Imagine being a poor dupe sleeping on a cot and your food is brought to you by a conveyor chute, and your air is delivered by a automation managed air vent and your sole purpose is to activate a suffocation alarm so overseer senpai notices you.

16 hours ago, Xaekai said:

Imagine being a poor dupe sleeping on a cot and your food is brought to you by a conveyor chute, and your air is delivered by a automation managed air vent and your sole purpose is to activate a suffocation alarm so overseer senpai notices you.

How did you know?

Spoiler

Archived