[Testing Branch Update] - 370532

Factorio have one trick that ONI does not. It pauses 99% of whole game when you are far or not looking. Problem with ONI is that if you pause things offscreen (first bunker doors lol) things will go to hell really fast.

I will test it today. I still think unity is spork at best too.

I played with this update (Linux version) last weekend and I feel this is a good update.

FPS is about 25% more.
Save game file drop from 35MB to 12Mo (auto save time is also reduced)
Not found any issue (witch were not present before ;) )

Thank's Klei for working on optimisations.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SharraShimada said:

How does Factorio handle the offscreen then? Using Time * X production and then just throws it at the database but without any real doing in the world? 

The Factorio devs cover a huge amount of insight into their game engine during their weekly friday write ups.

The entire Factorio world is simulated at all points in time. Whether or not you can see an area of a working factory does not change a single thing. Every single inserter, assembler, belt and item is thoroughly tracked across every single unit of time (their sim ticks use UPS), and their final behavior is always the same. It is an absolute requirement for making sure their game engine is deterministic. Determinism comes up as a frequent topic in their write ups.

Map areas that have not yet been explored and which have no pollution touching them do not exist. There is no need for them to exist because nothing happens. When a map unit gets generated, everyone in the game world has to do it and they all do it at the exact same time. That way they can all stay synced.

It is nothing special that everything in a Factorio world is always being updated and is always fully functional under the hood. Anyone can do that. The special part (it has taken them over 5+ years to reach this point, mind you) is that the game engine can handle thousands and tens of thousands of these independent units all at once. But don't take my word for it, there's plenty of people willing to show off their gigantic factories as they push the game engine to its limits.

9 hours ago, cpy said:

Factorio have one trick that ONI does not. It pauses 99% of whole game when you are far or not looking.

It's one thing to not know how it works, it's another to blurt out completely arbitrary things and claim them as fact. Next time try an honest "I dunno".

Edited by bobucles
  • Haha 1

• Developer
On 9/27/2019 at 10:16 AM, Loraty said:

My steam engine setup still behaves very differently: With the public build steam temperature stays above 170°C with doors mostly open while the testing build sees a steady decline down to 140°C with doors closed.

The weird disinfecting has stopped, at least.

This was a feisty bug, but we believe it has been addressed for a future hotfix - thanks for the report!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/30/2019 at 10:24 AM, SharraShimada said:

How does Factorio handle the offscreen then? Using Time * X production and then just throws it at the database but without any real doing in the world? 

Production machines are not paused, but they are pretty heavyli optimized, when things are not doing anything they are paused.

How does it work? Well you can read all about it in FFF on their site, where they explained in really big detail how they optimized what and what tricks they use to make game runs fast.

On 9/30/2019 at 6:56 PM, bobucles said:

It's one thing to not know how it works, it's another to blurt out completely arbitrary things and claim them as fact. Next time try an honest "I dunno".

How about you read about it in FFF? Factorio friday facts? They are writing them for years now. Instead of I dunno maybe go there and get all details there? Since I don't remember it word for word just the basic idea. They use sleep mode for things that aren't doing anything right now. Which is maybe even 99.9% paused. They have this thing that only process things that needs to be processed. And they made it so fast that factorio is the only game that HUGELY benefit from RAM speed.

ONI is too dynamic for this.

Edited by cpy