Vole farming

I've never tested myself, but seems like steel pneumatic doors will do the job for you. If you really don't want to use pneumatic doors, you can. build an island surrounded by autominers. As long as they don't spit out too many regolith tiles, they can't escape from the island.

Just now, minespatch said:

Never used a metal refinery, what should be my set up to make a coolant?

For the initial setup, just dump heat into some cold biome with polluted water. If you don't have access to a heat sink like that, I'd suggest you make a steam turbine + aquatuner setup. If you use crude oil or petroleum as coolant you can ignore the aquatuner part.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Ah, so I should make a slickster farm before making a metal refinery.

Why does that matter? You do need to keep a high temperature to make the slickster farm really useful (otherwise they start to produce longhair slicksters), but I don't think it has anything to do with metal refineries. I guess steel critter dropoffs?

13 minutes ago, Bobasour said:

Why does that matter?

22 minutes ago, Bobasour said:

If you use crude oil or petroleum as coolant you can ignore the aquatuner part.

I can use the crude oil refinery to make petroleum, so I can kill two birds with one stone and make both plastic and metal refinery.

1 minute ago, minespatch said:

I can use the crude oil refinery to make petroleum, so I can kill two birds with one stone and make both plastic and metal refinery.

Hmmm I'm assuming you mean using oil refinery to produce petroleum? I was referring to using crude oil or petroleum as coolant for metal refinery.

46 minutes ago, Bobasour said:

Hmmm I'm assuming you mean using oil refinery to produce petroleum? I was referring to using crude oil or petroleum as coolant for metal refinery.

Exactly. Make petroleum with a slickster farm, and then use the petroleum as a coolant for the metal refinery.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:05 PM, minespatch said:

I know shov-voles can't pass metal tiles but they can escape through air proof doors. How do I stop voles from escaping?

You can also use obsidian tiles. Pneumatic doors stop them. BUT they will poop dig-able blocks of regolith into a pneumatic door, and then they can dig out of the stable through the regolith and escape. The easy way to get around that is to turn the door sideways and put it in the TOP of the stable. That way their regolith-poop falls out of the door and onto the floor.

2 minutes ago, minespatch said:

Yup, meshtiles are a haven for slicksters.

Not if your trying to passively overcrowd them. I'm still trying to figure out the mechanics of slickster pathing. iirc, someone said once that using debug to place them won't fully ground them which makes testing that much more difficult. They are the only critter that floats above water aside from pacu who float in water.

For the record - since LU it has been much easier to use water & PW for steel refining. It uses more total coolant than before, so the delta T is only 40C or so. (Edit: just checked - delta T is 55C)

There are still reasons to use oil, but it's not a necessity anymore. You can just cool your output fluid directly by piping it through a cold area, at first.

Here is a post that i'm going to use as a reference for my future slickster builds. This is one way to crowd them, which I think is pretty fantastic. He also passively filters liquid too.

49 minutes ago, avc15 said:

For the record - since LU it has been much easier to use water & PW for steel refining. It uses more total coolant than before, so the delta T is only 40C or so. (Edit: just checked - delta T is 55C)

There are still reasons to use oil, but it's not a necessity anymore. You can just cool your output fluid directly by piping it through a cold area, at first.

Are you in the right thread? Who are you answering this for?

7 minutes ago, BLACKBERREST3 said:

Are you in the right thread? Who are you answering this for?

Context.

On 9/23/2019 at 6:12 PM, minespatch said:

Never used a metal refinery, what should be my set up to make a coolant?

What followed was a discussion that immediately went into advanced setups involving multiple systems including steam turbines & slicksters. The guy wanted to refine a few tons of steel, by his admission for his first time ever :b

My b, didn't look far up enough.

Any water variant in the game will work for steel production. I usually have atmo suits up by then and then use a frozen biome or frozen core to start on steel production before I get to steam turbines. If you don't have those, there are a lot of different cooling methods, more than I can mention in here.

Archived