Vole farming

On 9/23/2019 at 9:05 PM, minespatch said:

I know shov-voles can't pass metal tiles but they can escape through air proof doors. How do I stop voles from escaping?

This is the solution I use. Although I am normally ranching wild shove voles, you can easily convert the pen to a stable by adding doors and a grooming station. Shove voles can't use ladders, and can't jump 2-tile wide gaps, so I just plop them down on a floating platform.

They can drop eggs off the platform, but the auto-sweeper will immediately put the eggs back up on top of the platform. If you opt for ranching wild voles, you can use this build without the doors to concentrate any number of them in this space without them becoming overcrowded. Their population won't grow on its own like with domesticated voles, but in my survival base I'm always getting vole eggs from the printing pod that I deliver to incubators in the vole pen so the population grows over time, and it is a nice occasional boon to the food supply as they generate large amounts of meat when they expire.

I should also note that I do not feed my voles and I do not believe there is any benefit to doing so unless this is in a controlled environment where you are trying to recreate natural tiles. Otherwise the tiles they create when consuming material could lead to their escape.

shove.png

Archived