Revealing Map as Player

Every player, including those without admin rights, can reveal the map. They can then have an easy way to find lunar island, ruin, or base.

The console command is:

local _x,_y,_z = ConsoleCommandPlayer().Transform:GetWorldPosition(); local size, step, x, z; size = 800; step = 40; x,z = -size,-size;
local function tp() if x <= size + step then if z <= size + step then z = z + step else x = x + step; z = -size; end else return true end end; 
local function dotp() ConsoleCommandPlayer().Physics:Teleport(x,0,z) if not tp() then TheWorld:DoTaskInTime( 0.033, dotp ) else ConsoleCommandPlayer().Physics:Teleport(_x,_y,_z) end end dotp()

source: https://www.bilibili.com/video/av67732595?from=search&seid=7094755697685542771

There are a lot of client side cheats a player can have access to. Map reveal, night vision, frame-perfect animation cancelling, the ability to see normally invisible things (such as temperature or nightmare phase timers), camera zoom distance, etc.

I think it's a side effect of being able to create client mods for the game. I don't see Klei really fixing these (as they would likely interfere with so much of the game that already exists) so I avoid sharing them to keep awareness of them as low as possible. DST isn't a competitive game so I don't think they would feel the need to fix these cheats, either. They ruin the fun of the game for you if you use them, usually.

40 minutes ago, Electroely said:

There are a lot of client side cheats a player can have access to. Map reveal, night vision, frame-perfect animation cancelling, the ability to see normally invisible things (such as temperature or nightmare phase timers), camera zoom distance, etc.

I think it's a side effect of being able to create client mods for the game. I don't see Klei really fixing these (as they would likely interfere with so much of the game that already exists) so I avoid sharing them to keep awareness of them as low as possible. DST isn't a competitive game so I don't think they would feel the need to fix these cheats, either. They ruin the fun of the game for you if you use them, usually.

To use your argument that DST is not a competitive game, and perhaps even a cooperative game, so you should be helping your teammates instead. Why are you withholding information and hacks that would have made your teammates stronger?

The quick fix would be to disable the Physics:Teleport function for client, but that is just fixing the symptom. The proper way would be to update turf data only if the player is nearby, as is being done by entities.

17 minutes ago, blizstorm said:

To use your argument that DST is not a competitive game, and perhaps even a cooperative game, so you should be helping your teammates instead. Why are you withholding information and hacks that would have made your teammates stronger?

The quick fix would be to disable the Physics:Teleport function for client, but that is just fixing the symptom. The proper way would be to update turf data only if the player is nearby, as is being done by entities.

I don't share the hacks because they aren't intended to be used by players. Klei does put effort into making DST a balanced game (and I think they're doing a good job of that) and cheats would invalidate that.

And as for making the turf data only update if the player is nearby... What about the map? The map depends on the entire world's turf being loaded, so much that you can actually see turf being changed (by another player) real-time without going to where the change is happening. They would have to make pretty big changes to the game (internally) and it wouldn't be worth it just to prevent some people from making the game easier on them. It's not impossible, just not worth it.

• Developer
42 minutes ago, Electroely said:

I don't share the hacks because they aren't intended to be used by players. Klei does put effort into making DST a balanced game (and I think they're doing a good job of that) and cheats would invalidate that.

And as for making the turf data only update if the player is nearby... What about the map? The map depends on the entire world's turf being loaded, so much that you can actually see turf being changed (by another player) real-time without going to where the change is happening. They would have to make pretty big changes to the game (internally) and it wouldn't be worth it just to prevent some people from making the game easier on them. It's not impossible, just not worth it.

fun fact, at one point inside the Turn of Tides beta, there was a (poorly coded) rpc that could be exploited by any player(even non-admin ones) to teleport up to 60 units away from that players current position(the bug is gone now) but this kind of issue pops up all the time...

30 minutes ago, Zarklord said:

fun fact, at one point inside the Turn of Tides beta, there was a command that could be executed by a (non-admin) player to teleport 60 units away from that players current position(its gone now) but this kind of issue pops up all the time...

That sounds like a pretty useful command to test loading & unloading related bugs. I doubt it was ever intended to be used by non-admin clients.

EDIT: oops

On 9/22/2019 at 7:12 PM, Electroely said:

At what point does Klei say anything about client side mods or mods in general? I would just really like to know. As far as I have noticed they only seem to fix bugs that change their intended game design – most of these exploits also require the user to rely on client side mods. To talk about exploits also requires a fixed concept of an "exploit" aka "cheat". Is using an implemented feature (a command) considered an exploit? If someone considers this as one do they think so because Klei stated this somewhere or is it just their own evaluation? Personally, I get quiet upset when people misinterpret their very own opinions for general ideas, so it would be very kind to explain, if there is some shared information Klei stated or if this whole discussion heavily relies on personal interpretations. Thank you in anticipation! :)

2 hours ago, HansimUnglueck said:

At what point does Klei say anything about client side mods or mods in general? I would just really like to know. As far as I have noticed they only seem to fix bugs that change their intended game design – most of these exploits also require the user to rely on client side mods. To talk about exploits also requires a fixed concept of an "exploit" aka "cheat". Is using an implemented feature (a command) considered an exploit? If someone considers this as one do they think so because Klei stated this somewhere or is it just their own evaluation? Personally, I get quiet upset when people misinterpret their very own opinions for general ideas, so it would be very kind to explain, if there is some shared information Klei stated or if this whole discussion heavily relies on personal interpretations. Thank you in anticipation! :)

My apologies; I don't think Klei themselves have ever made a statement regarding how client mods play into the intended game design. I have found it safe to assume that client-side modifications that give you abilities that are either impossible to have or only attainable otherwise with an ingame cost (see: Moggles) can be considered "cheating." This is my personal intrepetation of the matter and I apologize for having presented it as fact.

...to be fair though, this still deserves a look.
If nothing else, altering turf to load and update reactively would make custom world creation/ground area altering in survival easier to work with as far as modding goes.
An increased ease in making custom maps in particular would be healthy for the game, I think; there are a lot of people looking for more structure to the challenges in this game.

Archived