Webber Update - Rework Suggestions (Repost)

Hello! I am a Long time Webber main who always pick Webber when the chance is available.

As we close in on the character suggestions for Webber(I hope) I have been sitting on this idea for a while and with craft-able recipes have been introduced I though I'd re-tune this idea of Mine:

Webber will be able to 'upgrade' Normal Spiders, Spider Warriois, Cave Spiders and Spitter Spiders.

Each spider would have their own recipe, that when fed to the spider would trigger a "transform" animation, showing the spider opening it's mouth, metamorphing into it's new form by crawling out of it's own mouth, leaving it's old shell behind on the ground. When the shell is picked up it will act like the Eye-bone for chester, or like the  Lavae Tooth for the Extra-Adorable Lavae, with the spider that transformed following Webber around.

This spider will have more health, never leave Webber's side(unless the shell is left at base), will not eat meat directly off the ground like a regular spider and not attack Neutral Mobs(or other players) unless provoked.
The Downside is that there is a limited amount of of them can be followed by one Webber, and a limited number of them on one server at a time. If a non-Webber player tries to pick up the shell, they're reply with something like. "No way I am touching that!" or "I better leave this stuff to Webber". When Webber tries to pick up too many shells he'll say something like: "Too many friends! They get Jealous!" or "It's too crowded!". The Spider also need to be Fed like a Extra-Adorable Lavae or Tall Bird Chick, and start attacking things unless properly fed.

I had a bit of an idea that depending on what spider you feed, you get a different Result:

• Default Spider: This will become a Worker Spider, it can chop wood and help Webber get out of Ewecus Snot, and will behave like a regular pig would.
  • Warrior Spider: This will be a Spider designed for Combat, increased Damage and Health, these can be used for hunting or guarding a base.
  • Cave Spider: As the cave spider already has a shell, I was thinking it would become larger with even more health, and damage resistance. Perfect for tanking attacks from larger mobs or bosses.(Maybe also give it a chance to drop it's shell upon death, with will be similar to a shellmet)
  • Spitter: Spider designated for DPS, will stay away from mobs and attack them from afar with their web.
  • Dangling Depth Dweller: I don't have a Good idea yet for how these could be upgraded other than damage and Health, but I don't want to leave our spider brothers from belong hanging.

Just like Woodie can craft the Totems for Transforming, Webber would need a Totem for each of the spiders, feeding the wrong totem to the wrong spider might only yield the spider as a temporary follower.

I am thinking the Normal ones would have Monster Meat and something else, maybe more meat? But for the Cave Spider Recipe I thought about adding minerals like Marble or Gold and then have the new shell shine like the Mineral consumed. Maybe the Depth Dweller's would contain Nightmare Fuel?
(Yes I am aware I was missing the Shattered Spiders, but I don't have a neat idea for them either so far)

Please tell me what you think below!
I am reposting this as my previous post got to old it was deleted.

The only thing I can say about this is that depth dwellers come down from a spider silk string, and I could see them working similar to the (rabbit/bird) traps..  you lure a creature over these (larger more distinct looking) versions of a piece of Silk Aka a Silk Trap.. once the creature is lured over the trap a spider will slink down from a web somewhere in the sky (off the game screen of course) and snatch it’s prey up into the air.. eat it 

for Rabbits, Frogs, Other Spiders And Birds this will be an Instant Kill- for larger creatures such as the Hell Hounds, Merms And Pigmen you would need to deal enough damage to them first, but they would be too big for the cave spiders to carry back up into its web, instead it would just leap on its prey to finish it off.

of course as wonderful as these ideas sound on paper we run into huge problems once it’s actually put into game script.. one such problem is that unless everyone in your server is playing as Webber your going to have these more dangerous spiders roaming around attacking all your friends.

And if Webber was given this kind of extreme power... should he still be able to befriend all wild spiders? After all Spiders do EAT other Spiders, it’s how the Black Widow Spider gets her name.. she literally eats her mate to feed her babies after she’s done mating with him.

On 9/20/2019 at 5:34 PM, Mike23Ua said:

And if Webber was given this kind of extreme power... should he still be able to befriend all wild spiders? After all Spiders do EAT other Spiders, it’s how the Black Widow Spider gets her name.. she literally eats her mate to feed her babies after she’s done mating with him.

I don't know if this is "Exteme power", not anymore than Winona's inventions, as he will have a limit to how many can follow him, and all the ones he'd keep at base, he'd need to keep them all fed.

On 9/20/2019 at 9:07 PM, metallichydra said:

i like this idea. its kinda like the spiders in the forge.

Got this idea from the Royal Guards from Hamlet, as they have a tenancy to attack all monsters they see, and I'd like to avoid that.

I really like your idea, and I have already written a post where I suggest a Webber update.

There I said that it would be very cool if he could craft a Spider Queen saddle and ride it, and something that makes some sense, what about Webber be able to sleep inside a Spider Den tier 3

On 10/4/2019 at 1:21 AM, Ryuziel said:

I really like your idea, and I have already written a post where I suggest a Webber update.

There I said that it would be very cool if he could craft a Spider Queen saddle and ride it, and something that makes some sense, what about Webber be able to sleep inside a Spider Den tier 3

I see a lot of people talk about Webber riding the Spider Queen, but I honestly don't see why he would?
Beefalo being rideable are a an all-character thing in DST, I don't see why Webber need his own mount, or what it's purpose would be.

The spider Queen is slow and steady so it will take ages to get anywhere, the only advantage she has on the Beefalo is that she has more health and do more damage.

I am all for letting him sleep in Spider Dens tho, even if that can be overpowered and need to ne nerfed somehow, like he can't use it as a limitless tent.
Perhaps if you sleep in it too frequently, the tier actually go down to 2 again? So he can't sleep it in again without upgrading it, and maybe adding a 1% chance that when he try to sleep in it a Spider Queen will spawn?

Sound fair to you guys?

22 hours ago, TheMetalMan said:

I am all for letting him sleep in Spider Dens tho, even if that can be overpowered and need to ne nerfed somehow, like he can't use it as a limitless tent.

Perhaps if you sleep in it too frequently, the tier actually go down to 2 again? So he can't sleep it in again without upgrading it, and maybe adding a 1% chance that when he try to sleep in it a Spider Queen will spawn?

could be used to downgrade dens so queens wouldnt spawn. which webber's teammates might appriciate.

Another idea I came up with the other day.

• If the special food that "evolve" normal spiders are given to a Spider Queen, she will make purring sound and 'give' the player a warrior spider that follow them, similar to how giving normal meat to a spider. To a maximum of three maybe? just a quick way to get some warriors spiders to follow you.

I want Sticky Spider Silk Infused Caustic Water Balloon Grenades.

Crafting- 1 water balloon, 4 silk, 1 Gunpowder, 2 Spider/Snake Venom.

You throw them at the enemy, they stick to said enemy and then explode dealing Poison Damage over Time.

Of course before this can ever become an actual thing- Klei would first have to port over the Venomous Spider Warriors and Snakes from Shipwrecked over into DST.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:01 AM, Mike23Ua said:

I want Sticky Spider Silk Infused Caustic Water Balloon Grenades.

Crafting- 1 water balloon, 4 silk, 1 Gunpowder, 2 Spider/Snake Venom.

You throw them at the enemy, they stick to said enemy and then explode dealing Poison Damage over Time.

Of course before this can ever become an actual thing- Klei would first have to port over the Venomous Spider Warriors and Snakes from Shipwrecked over into DST.

Dunno, venom is really annoying to fight against, especially early game.
No clue how that could affect PvP.

But some Spider-Based Weapons would be a good idea.

On 1/14/2020 at 8:28 AM, TheMetalMan said:

Dunno, venom is really annoying to fight against, especially early game.
No clue how that could affect PvP.

But some Spider-Based Weapons would be a good idea.

Have you ever played Donkey Kong? No not the newer stuff (Whatever the heck that is..) I’m talking more specifically like Donkey Kong Country 1,2 or 3.

In those games you could (jump) inside a barrel and burst out of it as whatever Animals face was on the Barrel. 

Does ANYONE Remember the SPIDER Segments of that game?? Where you could Spit up Spiderweb platforms that dissolved really really shortly after being placed that helped you get around the level.

Yeah... Webber needs something like THAT in his Rework I think..?ESPECIALLY if @FuffledBeeQueen‘s Idea Of Elevated Plots Of Land ever actually makes it into the game.

Archived