My Feedback on the New Music

15 hours ago, Cpt. KatKit said:

The new songs would fit if they replaced the old ones at night instead of during the day.

YES...if they toned it down several notches.  I think of night as being quiet and sneaking, not HERE I COME THE GREAT WARRIOR STOMPING THROUGH THE BEEFALO DON'T MIND ME...(although Wigfrid sounds like that all the time.)  I'm thinking different instruments, and just...lighter? It's so heavy-duty! 

It also makes it constantly sound as if you're in a battle (or at least in a boss AREA before the actual boss appears) when you're not.  I guess the closest equivalent I can come up with is the caves, where even the exploring music sounds like SPOOKY MAGICAL ADVENTURE!!  But, autumn on the surface is _not_ the caves.  It is the nicest both place AND time of year of the entire game.

Speaking of night, this also made me immediately think:  "Wait, does this mean the Dusk and Night Music mod won't work anymore?  God DANGIT!  I don't wanna go back to totally silent spring dusks again, they're sooo looonnnggg..."  (If nothing else, the mod would now be playing toned-down remixed versions of the OLD songs at dusk and night, and it just wouldn't _match_.)   I'd also miss the gorgeous winter dusk music and the mysterious summer night one.  (Summer dusk is awesome too, but guess how long you get to hear THAT for?  : P)

Yeah, yeah, new change in canon code breaks longstanding beloved player mod, what else is old... :(

I'm glad to hear that this might be a bug.  It's way WAY WAY too dramatic for taking a nice stroll under the nice-weather-for-a-change beautiful trees and making boards among the frolicking catcoons.

...Notorious

I find the old one so iconic to the old mood of don't starve. Thematically nothing fits better as an introduction to the world of don't starve. Here's my two cents on why, It's ironically relaxing. It has this tantalizing frolicking tone to it which contrasts fantastically well to a frantic survivor being forced to pluck flowers to keep themselves sane, an action that in of itself comes off as rather humorously insane thing to do. And that's my main point, it's humorous when you're struggling. And when you're not struggling it's a genuinely nice moment for a breather, look back on what you've accomplished.

Some of the newer pieces of musics doesn't seem to get the whole picture like that. They don't paint a feeling, tell an overarching story.

With that in mind I can't say what exactly the new work music does wrong. Except that it isn't perfect like the old one. Maybe it's too genuine for my taste? It doesn't contrast or compliment gameplay? It's just sort of there? It's not bad I guess, it just doesn't have any context that makes it complete?

It's that kind of soundtrack that is there to fill in the blanks. It serves it's purpose but doesn't want to do more. Mobile app music.

EDIT: Man so, I could write a novel about how Don't Starve has shied away from it's charmingly strutted self-interested characters in an uncaring world of mischievous, hauntingly mysterious whimsicality and turned into this family friendly cookie-cutter group of silly mishaps and a non-ironic goody-two-shoes attitude that it for some reason still tries to present as if it's ironic?

They are close but ultimately the former felt more inviting for adults.

Yeah, I meant the mod that puts music on the normally silent parts of the day, dusk and night.  It does toned-down remixes of each season's music, and if the remix suddenly doesn't match the MAIN tune...  If you want to hear it, I provided a link.  It sounds much cooler in context/in-game, too.

The other music mod I haven't tried yet.  I probably will soon.

...Notorious

Oh... i redeemed my top hat reskin (fiery witch hat) at the time and wore it while chopping trees and thought that the witch hat reskin changed the soundtrack... :wilson_ecstatic:

Im sorta disappointed but oh well. I thought the new soundtrack was epic but i don't think the Working one fits. Autumn is the most calm and forgiving season after all, in my opinion, this music is really intense.

Archived