Full sized magma pump

So I was thinking about waterfalls and the mystery of pump range and I had an idea of how to use a full sized pump to move magma without ever moving anything else.

image.thumb.png.2229c93f2beba64939b6b2b05ea29340.png

I warn you that this is build has problems.  There is a superior approach using mini pumps, but I thought this idea could be interesting.

The way this works is by making sure the tile under the pump is magma while making sure there is a liquid in the top right tile.  The automation works by opening the door for 0.3 seconds to let some magma in, then keep it closed for 5 seconds or if there is magma int he tile under the liquid pump.  Then, the pump pumps it away.  With a standard pressurized magma pocket (around 1800 kg/tile), the magma usually does not flow in to the petroleum, but it does occasionally, so this won't work forever.

The waterfall is created by having a tile of a different liquid under the petroleum and not having an opposing wall.  The waterfall is canceled precisely where it stops by the gap on the wall to the right.  The pump will run continuously without pulling any liquid if there is no magma under it.

Any ideas to improve the build?

Magma's viscosity makes it only flow 10 tiles far, this could be used to supply Magma below the pump more reliably. It's also safe. Just make sure the entry point is only 1 tile high (can't post picture rn, mb later if needed).

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.bcee7881dc14411a5cf9d145c9c970e6.png

An Escher's waterfall could be used instead of the 2. Pump. Needs a lot more liquid and is a lot to set up, just a thought really.

1 hour ago, Yalp said:

Magma's viscosity makes it only flow 10 tiles far, this could be used to supply Magma below the pump more reliably. It's also safe. Just make sure the entry point is only 1 tile high (can't post picture rn, mb later if needed).

I did not know that.  That would make it much better.

1 hour ago, Yalp said:

An Escher's waterfall could be used instead of the 2. Pump. Needs a lot more liquid and is a lot to set up, just a thought really.

Yes, but the thing is that the pump setup I have right now takes only 24 watts.  It could be around 14 watts, but I just set the valve to 1000 to be sure.  That isn't really a concern for me.  If it was water, it would be around 2 watts. I'm fairly certain that the space required to make the escher waterfall could generate that much power using arbor trees.

4 hours ago, Zarquan said:

Any ideas to improve the build?

Magma has a max horizontal flow rate of 60kg/0.2s (it's viscosity rating), and a minimum flow rate of 50kg/0.2s.  Magma will not move right unless the tile its in hits 260kg, at which point it will shoot 50kg right. If you can keep the right most magma tile under this 260kg limit, then you're safe. 

The idea of using a 10 tile (11 if you count the start tile) run, is one way to do this. 

magmapump.thumb.png.954cdf158d146a9b97eb86cff63c565e.png

This has been working pretty well for the last while, however one time the right most tile went to vacuum, and using a door to jostle things caused problems. 

I love the application of waterfalls.  Thanks for sharing.  

50 minutes ago, 0xFADE said:

The magma union will hear of this atrocity!

How quickly do insulated pipes exchange heat with magma?  I remember some extreme deltas used to transfer heat pretty freely. 

I usually build with pre-space, so they are ceramic.  I always transport magma in ceramic insulated pipes and I have never had a problem.  But then again, I only transport it short distances (usually to a metal refinery)

Well, apparently there is something weird going on with the 10 tile range of horizontal magma flow when there is a pump involved:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4a4d029a0db9dda6426e3c1d0327e33f.png

Below the Magma Pump the mass of magma increases until it flows over to the right.

Archived