CO2 geyser as water cooler

image.thumb.png.7d9fb06526d853977857af82efdfb098.png

Simple build today. This is the first time I've actually harnessed one of these things, they just weren't quite enough to bother with before the rebalance.

The idea is to pipe in moderately warm water and get water back a few degrees cooler. The chain here is scrubbers-> full pipe sensor (don't want to waste power) -> sieve, then the sieve's output goes counter flow with geyser's CO2 output.

Two atmo sensors - the one in the middle is set to 'abive 2000' and the one at the bottom is set to 'above 1000'. Scrubbers turn off if both sensors are off. The reason for this is we need to keep some CO2 in reserve - It's important for water flow to start within a few seconds of the geyser erupting, so we need enough CO2 on hand to start up the scrubbers right then. Otherwise the center will get too cold and you'll wind up with frozen pipes & a pool of water at the center (you'll have to dig it out and clean it up).

Input: 33C water, output: dirt & 27C water.

Not much, but on oasis it makes a difference.

Is it worth it.... let's see:

image.thumb.png.8dcc3b3ad2ac155e2a3e601129f1c53f.png

Even if you get each piece of machinery only doing full tics (so as not to waste power & heat) this average geyser is only worth 3 untended wheezeworts, or equivalent to the net cooling of just over 2 ice machines.

I guess it all depends what map you're on & what you have at your disposal. This one just happened to be just outside the starting biome in my oassise colony.

What if you replace the two carbon scrubbers and water sieve with a single gas pump that ships the warmed carbon dioxide down to a slickster ranch?

You wouldn't get the dirt out of it though, and dirt is basically food.  How much dirt can you get out of it per cycle?  Is it worth it in terms of dirt?

2 minutes ago, SquirrelTeeth said:

Is it worth it in terms of dirt?

20g/s on average, or, 12kg/cycle

3 minutes ago, SquirrelTeeth said:

What if you replace the two carbon scrubbers and water sieve with a single gas pump that ships the warmed carbon dioxide down to a slickster ranch?

Is a possibility, but the gain is only on the order of around 1-1.5 kDTU/s.

It was worth it for me on this base. I don't know if I'll be willing to build this in anything but that specific situation, after doing the math. Oasisse, and the geyser was literally right next to base.

I also have a CO2 vent very near a cool steam vent. 

Since most of the methods to cool a steam vent are a bit advanced, I wonder if it is possible to use a bit of circuitry and use a thermo aquatuner for a simple/early game way to cool at least some of the steam vent water to 22C.  Some of that water could even be turned into O2. 

Volume would obviously be very limited, but it might just be enough to allow a "low power" early base to stay on indefinitely while the player explored, got some steel, generally got ready to produce the significantly power, water and O2 production and refinement needed for the next wave of expansion.

If it removes the time pressure and lets us do things at our own pace, it would be amazing.  The constant time pressure is the only thing in ONI that truly annoys me and sometimes makes me consider moving on to another game.

... of course, once we become experienced, the time pressure disappears.  But while we are beginners it can drive us to bad reactions.

Plus the heated CO2 could be just what the doctor ordered for some Slicksters... keep their room warm without the need for additional heating.

Hmm i might use this CO2 geyser to cool down o2 for my base since it does not overpressure (btw this is crazy - geyser that emit liquod co2 with so low quantity that it change its states instantly therefore if you leave it in locked room it will just build up pressure of gas lol)

Archived