Checkpoints and airlocks

So, I have a bit of a misunderstanding about checkpoints.  I thought they would 'hold' pathing while an event occurred, for example, while you cycled a 3 door airlock.  This is very obviously not the case though...

5d6aaddc8bd52_AirlockCheckpointsFailure.JPG.d9507cc884276ceef8cd5e70a11e5594.JPG

I can't keep the errand active while the airlock cycles.  Now, assuming that there's no way around the pathbreaking problem, and that others have already banged their head on this particular issue, can someone point me in the right direction that doesn't require a half dozen mini-pumps and a pressure sensor since efficiently doing that … locks the danged doors!

Appreciated in advance.

Dupe checkpoints are basically doors that do not count as tiles for a room. I cant think of any case where checkpoint is better than a pneumatic door.

Making airlock without liquids ends up requiring too many mechanized doors, making it not worth it... Just put a water lock and let your dupe go through it while wearing atmo suit... Because, honestly, is there any environment you would want to separate away with an airlock in which you would allow your dupes without an atmo suit? Or, even better, Make your dupes pass in and out through transit tubes.

@DarkMoge Plenty of them.  I rarely use exos except in space or oil.  However, that doesn't mean there aren't dangerous passageways I don't want them in sometimes, or at least wait until some automation is done moving the problem aside before they can head in.  3 door vacuum locks are very useful when isolating things like farms.

@Risu  Agreed.  I had thought that the two sided one held pathfinding during a path break.  Ah well.  Maybe in another update.

I've had a lot of success with them for other areas I don't want them to be involved for periods of time, like critter drop-off to the drowning pit.  They can wait to deliver.  It does require them not having doors LOCK though.  Grrr.

5d6abdf3b73f5_EthanolCritterDrowner.JPG.a83fbe2e6840d6428d86da00794e9d96.JPG

I think what would be very good and help with this situations and add much more usefulness to checkpoints is one little check-box on doors settings that would change behavior from Red signal means Locked to Red signal means "Auto".

The check points don't break pathing. That's the whole point of checkpoints, they stop dupes while allowing the path to continue. No, your problem is your airlock design, Any time you force a door closed with automation, that's going to break pathing.

They're not "useless" without a dupe sensor / pressure plate. Doing that really ignores the whole point of check points. You use checkpoints to hold dupes while something important's going on. You activate / deactivate them based on that condition, not whether Dupes are present. You don't need to, since they automatically hold Dupes in place as they arrive, no additional logic required.

For example, here's an airlock design that uses checkpoints, and doesn't break pathing:

5d6b0f7ab2884_AirlockCheckpoint.jpg.ada78b69f07a156ff80b451a67afce2d.jpg

This airlock holds dupes in place if the center isn't in vacuum. The first Dupe through goes straight through. The next one waits until the airlock's completely emptied of air.

In practice, I've found little need for the checkpoints for airlocks, since the pump design works just fine without waiting for a proper vacuum, at least with typical pressures below 2kg / tile. Opening the door lets in 400g of gas, which the pump empties almost immediately. You'd only really want this sort of checkpoint if one side is high pressure, like 10-20kg / tile.

Archived