Getting acorns

I have seen multiple posts saying that pips can harvest acorns from trees, but I have had tree with pips around it for hundreds of cycles and haven't gotten a single acorn.  Is this actually a mechanic, or am I missing something?  Do I need plantable tiles near them to get them so they can plant a new tree?

If needed, I can provide pictures later.

22 minutes ago, Xadhoom said:

i believe it was added in a recent patch that you also can get acorns from harvesting the trees?

I was playing just yesterday, and I have a lot of trees (18).  I haven't gotten a new seed since planting them (except through the printing pod)

Last night I dropped a pip in my tree farm and got like 3 seeds in 2 minutes... Make sure the branches aren't being harvested by your dupes, they seem to interact with the tree when it has branches available, and they'll do the "empty a storage bin" animation and yield you a seed. 

8 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Last night I dropped a pip in my tree farm and got like 3 seeds in 2 minutes... Make sure the branches aren't being harvested by your dupes, they seem to interact with the tree when it has branches available, and they'll do the "empty a storage bin" animation and yield you a seed. 

Oh, so they do it to fully grown trees?  I'll try that.  Do they need a tile under the branches, or is just the one under the trunk good enough?

The way I understand it every time a branch is harvested there is a chance to add a seed to a tree. You can get the seed by having a pip rummage the tree or by uprooting it. So basically keep a critter drop in your tree farms and maintain a couple wild/ungroomed pips there.

8 minutes ago, Promethien said:

The way I understand it every time a branch is harvested there is a chance to add a seed to a tree. You can get the seed by having a pip rummage the tree or by uprooting it. So basically keep a critter drop in your tree farms and maintain a couple wild/ungroomed pips there.

I have harvested a TON of trees, and I have never gotten an acorn by harvesting wood.  Ethanol is my main power source (boosted with power station).

18 minutes ago, Lifegrow said:

Fully grown tree, they just "rummage" around it and drop a seed :)

May also need to have some tiles nearby vacant for planting - my pip instantly replanted afterwards in some nearby vacant hydroponic tiles.

If that's the case, then I think I need to figure out a way to automate uprooting the tree.  I'm thinking a phosphorus tile.  Every day or so, I melt the tile, autosweep the acorn, then cool it to resolidify.  And phosphorus is liquid at only 44.15 C, so the main tree(s) should be able to live during this.

2 minutes ago, Zarquan said:

I have harvested a TON of trees, and I have never gotten an acorn by harvesting wood.  Ethanol is my main power source (boosted with power station).

If that's the case, then I think I need to figure out a way to automate uprooting the tree.  I'm thinking a phosphorus tile.  Every day or so, I melt the tile, autosweep the acorn, then cool it to resolidify.  And phosphorus is liquid at only 44.15 C, so the main tree(s) should be able to live during this.

So you stopped reading even before the end of the first sentence then eh?

Just now, Promethien said:

So you stopped reading even before the end of the first sentence then eh?

No, I just didn't have anything to say about it that I hadn't already said in previous posts.  I was already keeping pips around my trees and nothing was happening.

Well. Keeping pips with my trees has resulted in me having more acorns than I can reasonably use without making more natural tiles with the glass and algae trick. I would suggest your current save has some kind of anomaly that is preventing proper function. 

Archived