Jump to content

klei account deleted accidentally


Recommended Posts

  • Developer

Once the cooldown period is done, it's gone forever. :( GDPR doesn't allow for backups, which saddens me every time someone contacts us asking for their account back.

If the accidental deletion was recent your friend can contact support and we'll see what we can do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, nome said:

Once the cooldown period is done, it's gone forever. :( GDPR doesn't allow for backups, which saddens me every time someone contacts us asking for their account back.

If the accidental deletion was recent your friend can contact support and we'll see what we can do.

she deleted it today.

she has already sent a support email with the name wazz1024. Can you check it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, yeahhh said:

..was accidentally deleted.

"Hmm. I wonder what this *Launch Nuclear Missile* button does?

Oh, what a surprise, it launched a nuclear missile! Who would've thought?!" :rolleyes:

 

On another note maybe some more obvious pop-ups should appear warning these too-curious-for-their-own-benefit people about the fact they are on the verge to delete their inventories and whatnot? As I do hope the action isn't instantaneous (obviously haven't checked, heh); too many people deleting their accounts seem to pop here-and-there as of fairly recent times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer
18 hours ago, x0VERSUS1y said:

On another note maybe some more obvious pop-ups should appear warning these too-curious-for-their-own-benefit people about the fact they are on the verge to delete their inventories and whatnot? As I do hope the action isn't instantaneous (obviously haven't checked, heh); too many people deleting their accounts seem to pop here-and-there as of fairly recent times.

It has... rather a lot of confirmation already. There's a big warning that you're going to lose all your stuff, then if you click OK on that it emails you a confirmation that you're going to lose all your stuff which you ALSO need to click and approve, then you lose all your stuff but we can still get it back for a while in case it was just someone who hacked your account, but eventually we run into the legal limit from the GDPR and we have to erase it, and that's when people finally email us asking for their stuff back. :(

Edit: Forgot you also have to type "DELETE MY ACCOUNT" in a textbox. And you can't just copy/paste it. IOW I don't think more confirmations is going to fix the problem.

Definitely one of those things that makes us sad as devs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It seems in most cases that people aren't reading the words before deleting, or do not understand them possibly because of a language barrier? Maybe if more languages were added to the confirm boxes or in the email people might understand what they're doing, only thing I can think of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, nome said:

There's a big warning that you're going to lose all your stuff, then if you click OK on that it emails you a confirmation that you're going to lose all your stuff which you ALSO need to click and approve, then you lose all your stuff but we can still get it back for a while in case it was just someone who hacked your account, but eventually we run into the legal limit from the GDPR and we have to erase it, and that's when people finally email us asking for their stuff back. :(

Definitely one of those things that makes us sad as devs.

What if people are just treating those messages the same way people treat ToS agreements? That is, they are not actually reading and comprehending what they are about to do, but instead clicking a few buttons is saying "Yes, delete my account as I've already made up my mind without really understanding the process fully." It's probably a normal for people to do at this day and age too (click mindlessly when they've want to delete/confirm something).

This is just a suggestion, but what if it was instead a system that would enforce people to actually know what they're about to do? 

For example, there's that initial pop-up clearly explaining what deleting your account does and does not do (ex. Account deletion makes it so you lose access to XYZ, etc).

People who just skim the pop-up would just click OK but what then happens is that a questionaire/min-quiz pops up where the user needs to correctly answer a series of questions that confirms that yes, they read the pop-up and understood what they're doing. (Ex. which of these are true? Deleting my account does which of the following, etc.)

The questions & answers themselves are presented individually (ie. not a list) and are randomly ordered each time when a failure occurs (to prevent just correctly clicking the correct position when repeating a question due to answering it wrong). And there would be an option to go back and read the pop-up, but not have both the pop-up and questionaaire open at the same time. That way they actually have to go read and understand what they are about to do. 

I don't know what % of people are mistakenly deleting their accounts, nor what other unintended effects or difficulites this could cause on your side (like maybe getting more support emails?) Again, it's just a suggestion that hopefully targets those individuals that didn't mean to delete their account but did so anyways.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Developer
6 hours ago, ItsPizzaTime said:

It seems in most cases that people aren't reading the words before deleting, or do not understand them possibly because of a language barrier? Maybe if more languages were added to the confirm boxes or in the email people might understand what they're doing, only thing I can think of.

More languages definitely something we thought as well. Stay tuned for news on this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, nome said:

Edit: Forgot you also have to type "DELETE MY ACCOUNT" in a textbox. And you can't just copy/paste it. IOW I don't think more confirmations is going to fix the problem.

 

If you consider the case with an infinite amount of confirmations, then no one would then accidentally delete their account..!

 

 

In all seriousness, with regards to the GDPR, are items really 'personal data'?  Sure they all have unique identifiers and are in virtual inventories of an account owned by a person, but the items themselves can't identify anyone if they aren't attached to an account.

I'm not a lawyer, but I'd think that keeping the inventories of deleted accounts wouldn't break GDPR regulations.  Before deleting the account, send a redemption voucher to be able to reclaim said limbo inventory- but only applicable on new Klei accounts and not old ones.

That way if the user ever wants to return or recreate the account because accidents, then they can get their limbo inventory back and it becomes 'personal data' as it gets re-attached to an identifier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just change it to like that episode of the amazing world of gumball where gumball wanted to delete his account on something and it was literally this capita that he had to flip his entire keyboard over to solve it and the final delete button moved when he tried clicking it.

i think it was an Elmore plus account.

i think Elmore is the place he lived

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Please be aware that the content of this thread may be outdated and no longer applicable.

×
×
  • Create New...