Auto-wrangle help

I am trying to optimise my hatch drowning and not drowning system so i dont need to keep looking at the amounts in the stables. I just need to configure the auto-wrangle on one drop off point but my dupes all think my overly full stable is just fine. How do I make my dupes do auto-wrangling?

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9d1d57bafd36e4eeca06b0bcfd6d5ecf.png

As you can see I'm storing 1/0 critters but all my ranchers think my pen status is OK

There is few condition for auto-wrangling to work

1. Storing more critter than setting, You passed this one
  2. Critter have to be able to be called to drop-off and not too far away, check critter navigation
  3. Critter have to be adult, no baby auto-wrangling

I'll add if I remember anything else

Looking at your conveyors, are you aware that we can drown them by drowning the eggs instead of drowning adult?

2 hours ago, Gravity5581 said:

As you can see I'm storing 1/0 critters but all my ranchers think my pen status is OK

Critters need to be able to walk to a Drop-Off to be Auto-Wrangled and the baby hatch can´t. Also baby critters can´t be Auto-Wrangled.

1 hour ago, abud said:

There is few condition for auto-wrangling to work

1. Storing more critter than setting, You passed this one
  2. Critter have to be able to be called to drop-off and not too far away, check critter navigation
  3. Critter have to be adult, no baby auto-wrangling

I'll add if I remember anything else

Looking at your conveyors, are you aware that we can drown them by drowning the eggs instead of drowning adult?

Ahh so it's the no baby rule that is going to mess up the system..; the drop off is also not reachable but that wouldn't be impossible.. I'll have to change up my system then

6 hours ago, Gravity5581 said:

Ahh so it's the no baby rule that is going to mess up the system..; the drop off is also not reachable but that wouldn't be impossible.. I'll have to change up my system then

As @abud suggested, I find it's easier to send unwanted eggs to the drowning chamber and just let them hatch there than it is to deal with auto-wrangle. In fact, my hatch and drecko ranches/drowning rooms don't involve wrangling at all. 

23 hours ago, beowulf2010 said:

As @abud suggested, I find it's easier to send unwanted eggs to the drowning chamber and just let them hatch there than it is to deal with auto-wrangle. In fact, my hatch and drecko ranches/drowning rooms don't involve wrangling at all. 

This is in fact part of the setup: The eggs are all on top of the mesh tile with the bottom doors closed. This drowns the critters when i dont need them. However when i do need them i wanted them to not drown, and be auto wrangled so i do not need to use the hatcheries or wait long before they get replenished.

Since it seems like you've solved your issue, I'd recommend unpowered incubators for your setup. 

They hold one egg while the rest are in the drowning room.  Since the egg sits in this incubator, it ensures that it will be hatched and protected from death.  Babies will remain in incubators until a dupe takes them out or until you manually remove them.  Once they become adults, they break out of the incubator and begin walking around.  I recommend leaving the babies in the incubators until they become adults then move them to your ranch.  If I recall correctly, a baby critter can't die from starvation but they do consume calories.  I believe they also can't be groomed so having that baby in your ranch just means used resources.  Early on you might really need those resources so feeding them to a baby for no eggs isn't that helpful.

One incubator is generally all you need per critter ranch.  For dreckos, I like to have one for normal dreckos and one for glossy while for hatches I just have one for stone hatches and the rest become food.

If you want to automate this, I recommend building the incubator on top of an airlock door over your drowning room.  While more than 0 critters are in the room, open the airlock door.  That way, if your ranches are full when the baby becomes an adult, it instantly becomes food.  However, if your ranches are low on critters or if there are 0 critters in the incubator, then close the door.  You might also want a dupe detector over the incubator as well to prevent the doors from opening if a dupe is in the room.  I don't remember at what point the critter sensor sees the egg in the room so the dupe detector works to keep the door shut while the egg is being delivered.

I had something similar before to auto deliver my critters for me but haven't tried it in this patch yet.

Archived