SATURATED - an unlimited storage solution

I present to you my latest approach on the ore deposition problem:

Simple Access To Unlimited Repository As The Element Dump. (for the lack of a better term).

In my games i often find myself building tons and tons of compactors for the same elements over and over again. This is tedious and blocks alot of my base space.

I have now fiddled around and created a 5x4 room, which allows me to dump unlimited (game engine limited ofc) resources inside of it and quickly access the contents by conveyor mechanics over 8 conveyor receptacles.

How it works?

Dupes drop the resources into the conveyor loader. The loader conveys them to the ore chute, which drops them in front of a sweeper.

The sweeper will pick up the resources and place it in one of the appropriate conveyor loaders, which will again convey it outside towards the conveyor receptacles. From there dupes can pick up the resources if needed.

Once the receptacles are full, all other resources will be left on the ground until the receptacles are used.

Proposed Configuration:

The dupe-access conveyor loader should allow 8 different elements. Each of the 8 conveyor loader inside of the room should allow one of these elements.

Notes: All conveyor elements on the right are manual access. The door is locked.

Improvement: The dupe-access conveyor loader has only 1t capactity, which is easily filled up and will throttle the efficiency of your dupes storing in. Therefore i have added the storage compactor to act as a buffer, which is filling the conveyor loader more efficiently with the use of a second sweeper.

unlimited storage element sink solition

C1C22C317ED396C40B106768A24CE6CF92101554

Priorities

Spoiler

priorities.thumb.png.bf56254a65dd8eb06e2034c3a43f6f5e.png

Conveyor Overlay

Spoiler

6B6A9B0EC2328C9FCBB5C1726531DB4641619E4E

Great work.

I would only recommand pne change/addition: use an autosweeper + storage bins for every output

[If the only access is a single receptacle, it will result in duplicants carrying less in bad cases or even blocking the access for additional duplicants. If you schedule bigger projects you may use your resources quicker than your conveyor system can ship them.]

In that case, i would rather add more receptacles, i think. It would increase the size of the outfeed side a bit, but a few bridges plus receptacles. would already double my receptacle capacity.

But you are correct that the refilling might take a while. I didnt test it in big projects yet.

I am also considering moving the receptacles into all directions for less convoluted conveyor lines. But currently i am quite happy with the compactness.:D

13 minutes ago, blash365 said:

In that case, i would rather add more receptacles, i think. It would increase the size of the outfeed side a bit, but a few bridges plus receptacles. would already double my receptacle capacity.

But you are correct that the refilling might take a while. I didnt test it in big projects yet.

It´s about how much duplicants carries.

• Most of my duplicant are able to carry more than 1000kg at once
  • If I need more than 1000kg to build something, my duplicant will try to start their next supply run as soon as the first 20kg arrive.
    • => To exaggerate: 1. run 1000kg 2. run 20kg 3. run: 20kg ....

[Adding more recltacles can help but could produce the same problem, duplicant will prefer the closest receptacle without considering the available amount. => They might prefer a 20-100kg receptacle over the full 1000kg one right next to it.]

2 minutes ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

It´s about how much duplicants carries.

• Most of my duplicant are able to carry more than 1000kg at once
  • If I need more than 1000kg to build something, my duplicant will try to start their next supply run as soon as the first 20kg arrive.
    • => To exaggerate: 1. run 1000kg 2. run 20kg 3. run: 20kg ....

[Adding more recltacles can help but could produce the same problem, duplicant will prefer the closest receptacle without considering the available amount. => They might prefer a 20-100kg receptacle over the full 1000kg one right next to it.]

Good point. Then maybe i should add a wider outfeed area with 1+ compactors per receptacle.

Don´t want to just point out flaws, but now I found something else xD

What is the selling argument of a system like yours, if allowing duplicant access to the conveyor chute output would result in a better efficiency for supply/delivery tasks ? [Not sure if it is a pro or con argument, that unaccessible resources don´t show up "in our normal overlay on the right".]

=> We can insulate our whole storage to eliminate temperature calculations and increase our fps.

[Keeping the "infinite" storage pile on a mesh tile inside a vacuume would do the trick, but requires a sweeper with diagonal access or some liquid cooling ...]

1 minute ago, Lilalaunekuh said:

What is the selling argument of a system like yours, if allowing duplicant access to the conveyor chute output would result in a better efficiency for supply/delivery tasks ? [Not sure if it is a pro or con argument, that unaccessible resources don´t show up "in our normal overlay on the right".]

The problem is that dupes will continue to pick up the "output" and deliver it to the loader. That is the problem that i solved.;)

Just now, blash365 said:

The problem is that dupes will continue to pick up the "output" and deliver it to the loader. That is the problem that i solved.;)

Sry I missed that, I was thinking of my old base where I used my loader as sweep only without building a real storage. [I left most debris outside my living area just on the ground and only build this to have the option to sweep everything somewhere^^]

Why not remove the end compactors, and just have them drop onto the floor where the dupes can pick them up. Use water where the items are to stop any off gassing, and use a door above that so the negative decor doesn't leak into the surrounding area.

3 minutes ago, axelevert said:

Why not remove the end compactors, and just have them drop onto the floor where the dupes can pick them up. Use water where the items are to stop any off gassing, and use a door above that so the negative decor doesn't leak into the surrounding area.

Because - as already said 2 posts above - dupes will then pick the ores up again and put them onto the conveyor.

33 minutes ago, blash365 said:

I solved that in about 3 seconds with a sweep only dropper :p 

The issue you have is allowing your dupes to permanently be gathering random crap from the map. Sweep only commands fix that, and allow to to focus your efforts on everything other than the 5000+ tons of useless crap abyssalite ;) 

image.thumb.png.4ba24f2fdb012a000b755d0121a34c25.png

The only compactors I use without sweep only commands are the ones below the sweepers - used for gathering coal / salt / rust / algae / sand / lumber (basically stuff from outside the base that I sort of value).Everything else is sweep only. The dispensers at the top dump everything that I sweep manually, and the sweepers send it to it's respective lines where it's needed via loaders. 

8 hours ago, blash365 said:

That works as well, but i didnt want to mark all the resources with sweep all the time.;)

I hear you - priority 2 compactors was my preferred method for sweeping as a general rule.

Problem is, the game is so laggy in the later stages of the game - and the "pondering" decision making time is so large in a reasonably sized base - I find it best to avoid leaving too many jobs for the poor confused dupes to choose between. A dedicated sweep when you need it is often the best method in terms of overall working efficiency.

Archived