Cooling on Aboria

35 minutes ago, ruhrohraggy said:

I did see that...it just looked like there was a little heat bleed-through, either through the pipes, or through the door, which would necessitate cooling.

Yeah, Arboria is definitely fun and different...Requires different priorities for sure. I like that the setup encourages quick exploration, opposed to the standard map that punishes you for it with slime biomes and pockets of other unbreathable gases.

I actua

You can press ALT-S for screenshot mode, then use Alt-print screen to capture your active window => Paste to paint. Or press F12 and get it off steam screenshots.

Can just drag your image into your post and it will upload it. I typically hide them with spoilers as more of a forum manners thing.

So drag picture in -> Click on picture -> Click on little eyeball in the upper right to "spoiler" it.

Thanks!  I will post a pic when off work!   Anyone else running just the Ferns?  I think I have 6 dupes on 14 ferns.

On 8/3/2019 at 1:16 AM, Nebbie said:

they can eat very hot things without heating up, then they poop whatever their body temp is.

@Lilalaunekuh, have you done the math on this? If we cool the critter to it's minimum temp (or close to it), and then feed it super hot rocks (not hard to heat them up when you trap them in doors), then how much cooling can be done? The excreted coal can be moved around the base as well, dropping temps well below 20C. Thoughts? Sounds like a new thread if you decide to take it up. 

2 hours ago, mathmanican said:

@Lilalaunekuh, have you done the math on this? If we cool the critter to it's minimum temp (or close to it), and then feed it super hot rocks (not hard to heat them up when you trap them in doors), then how much cooling can be done? The excreted coal can be moved around the base as well, dropping temps well below 20C. Thoughts? Sounds like a new thread if you decide to take it up. 

Basic calculations per critter using the only options that look remotely feasible with numbers from ONI DB:

• Shove Vole: 8kg/s dirt (SHC 1.48J/gK) at 600K into 4kg/s dirt at 73.15K, -6,670,952W 
  • Shove Vole: 8kg/s regolith (SHC .2J/gK) at 1683K into 4kg/s regolith at 73.15K, -2,634,280W 
  • Stone Hatch: 233.33g/s igneous rock (SHC 1J/gK) at 1683K into 116.67g/s coal (SHC .71J/gK) at 243.15K, -372,552.889545W
  • Pokeshell: 233.33g/s polluted dirt (SHC .83J/gK) at 1986K into 116.67g/s sand (SHC .83J/gK) at 243.15K, -361,070.807685W

Looks like stone hatches and pokeshells will both work quite nicely, but shove voles absolutely blow the pants off them, even just using regolith, which you'll always have a steady supply of.

Now good luck building something to properly utilize this (getting to -200 C and staying there while using robo miners sounds painful), and of course you'll get quite a bit below the theoretical maximum because materials start in your supply of them well above 0K, but even with 500K regolith (about what it comes from space at), shove voles should do -1,834,280W, which is over 1.1GJ of cooling a cycle; 35MJ in the time it takes to raise a hatch seems rather pointless by comparison.

As for hatches, I can totally see taking igneous rock up from 26 C to near melting, feeding it to the little bastards in a -30 C sealed chamber, and getting some lovely freezing coal for a total of about 182MJ of cooling a cycle per stone hatch.
And if you actually plan to use this for bog-standard base cooling instead of like, dealing with a volcano or something, a steel aquatuner can easily set things up to 300 C, then that's "only" about 29MJ a cycle, which still greatly beats what you are getting from heating the egg and critter itself.

4 hours ago, Nebbie said:

that's "only" about 29MJ a cycle, which still greatly beats what you are getting from heating the egg and critter itself.

There are 2 reason, why I like "my" critter based cooling:

• It´s just about an early game quick to setup cooling solution, till I got deeper into the research tree.
    • => It´s just about sweeping/wrangling hatches/eggs into some corners of your base.  (Do it early to delay heat problems.)
    • (Think of it like a low maintenance wheezewort: 1 hatch life cycle equals 12 cycles of a domesticated wheezewort in oxygen.)
  • Hatches don´t just delete or add heat, they stabilize the temperature towards a liveable range [20°C].

[My cooling solution is about not wanting to use the ice-e-fan or (domesticated) wheezeworts. I can set it up as soon as I find a critter, so starting maybe cycle 1^^]

Archived