Improve storage bin autoselection of new resources

Suggestion: Storage bin autoselection of new resources needs to be improved. If the main category, the blue circle, is checked, future items will be automatically added. If the specific item is checked, the black circle, future items will not be automatically added, and a dot or other glyph would be shown in the main category box, indicating such.

image.png.54032a988cf2ad2261aeae1bbd6b6996.png

Elaboration: If I put a storage bin by my coal generators at cycle 7 and set them to coal, when I dig up other consumable ores, they should be automatically unchecked in that storage bin. Same goes for.. Dirt under Cultivable Soil, Copper ore under Metal ore, etc, etc.

Additional Information: If I have a storage bin set to store dirt, and my deodorizers produce clay contaminated by food poisoning, if I don't remember to unselect clay, my dupes will contaminate the dirt with the food poisoned clay. Making this change would ensure that scenario would no longer happen.

Bump. Still very much needed. Just had my dupes contaminate my dirt storage again because there was no way to disable clay before clay was first available. I only have about 3 seconds to disable it before they deliver it... and the kicker is that I could see the clay in the deodorizer but it still wasn't deselectable in the storage bin.

Having this feature would be great, however another solution to the problem would be an "expert mode" where all materials are shown from the start and you can set your preferences correctly from Cycle 1.

It's *really* annoying having to keep going back to update storage bins when you find new materials.

I suggested this a while back, but it is worth bringing up again.

On 8/3/2019 at 10:05 PM, Ambaire said:

Bump. Still very much needed. Just had my dupes contaminate my dirt storage again because there was no way to disable clay before clay was first available. I only have about 3 seconds to disable it before they deliver it... and the kicker is that I could see the clay in the deodorizer but it still wasn't deselectable in the storage bin.

And had them do this again. Ended up with food poisoning contaminated meal lice. Devs, please give us better control over where new resources are (not) stored...

This is a big problem in the early game with water.   I construct a Bottle Emptier, set it to empty water, two cycles later I have polluted water in my main water supply because my bathrooms have now produced dirty water which is automatically checked on the Bottle Emptier.  So I know not to empty any water bottles until polluted water becomes available unless I want to micro that spout.

On 15.8.2019 at 9:02 PM, blackbellamy said:

So I know not to empty any water bottles until polluted water becomes available unless I want to micro that spout.

The better work around is to set it to sweep only. And then be careful with your sweep orders. That way they won't pick up bottles by themselves.

But yeah, this really should be fixed

On 8/15/2019 at 11:04 PM, Haze33E said:

If we had all items available from the beginning this wouldn't be a problem. It sucks having to go back an update everything every time you discover a new resource.

It should only ever go to a checkmark for a category if a player explicitly clicks on the check box to do so. There is absolutely no need or reason to make it change on its own.

Archived