The thermal conductivity of aluminium

on a side note... why does the description still read Watt and that the transfer is (solely) determined by the lowest TC?

I'm afraid the strings need some editing pass. With not all refined metals having about the same TC I am more than just fine with~

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

on a side note... why does the description still read Watt and that the transfer is (solely) determined by the lowest TC?

I'm afraid the strings need some editing pass. With not all refined metals having about the same TC I am more than just fine with~

According an experiment I did before, heat transfer between inside and surrounding of a pipe is different from that of tiles.

It's not depending on the lowest TC of the two element, It actually depends on the material of the pipes ( my speculation).

1 hour ago, DreamApart said:

It's not depending on the lowest TC of the two element, It actually depends on the material of the pipes.

It depends in both radiant/normal pipe material TC and content material TC inside the pipe. It is average value of both. Still uncertain to me if simple average or log mean.

1 hour ago, SakuraKoi said:

They definitely need to fix up the strings.  i'm quite unsure at this point on some of them (like tc) which is real in which situations :)

4 minutes ago, Angpaur said:

It depends in both radiant/normal pipe material TC and content material TC inside the pipe. It is average value of both. Still uncertain to me if simple average or log mean.

well, on top of IIRC being some log mean, there are also hidden modifiers in play apart from the known "radiant=max, insulated=min"... it'd be really sweet indeed if dupes could research that. The info does not need to be already available, on the contrary, due to the virtue of the fact that it is made so makes it much more visible than tool tips and hover stuff. That stuff which most at best skim but mostly don't read in the first place but presume the contents, I assume, based on common sense, like them most.

15 minutes ago, SakuraKoi said:

well, on top of IIRC being some log mean, there are also hidden modifiers in play apart from the known "radiant=max, insulated=min"

Indeed there is a modifier of 10 for radiant/normal pipes heat exchange equation.

Full equation is q = kave * dT * 10

Modifier is constant so basically it is irrelevant if you want to decide which material will be better to build the pipes. Knowing how conductivity is calculated is important here, that is why game should clearly state when lower conductivity of both materials is used and when average is used.

In case average is used then you will want to maximize heat transfer by using highest available conductivity material.

In case lower conductivity is used then you might want to choose material with lowest specific heat capacity if you want to speed up heat transfer.

Not only that, there is supposedly a modifier depending on what state the stuff is in. I'd really like a building which duplicants can use and which they fill with two objects. Raw resources, gas, liquid, solid and emulating buildings but even critters, I want to test them all in a sterile, isolated and time environment... and it could serve as mean to train the learning skill.

Archived