Making Custom Graphics [Tutorial]

With the latest update it is now possible to create custom graphics for use in ONI. This is not just custom textures but also custom animations!

I have created a tool called K-Parser that acts as a converter from the Klei animation file format that ONI runs on to Spriter projects. This tool is bidirectional and can be used to go from the in game files to a Spriter project and also from a Spriter project back to in game files.

The following link takes you to a tutorial on how to extract a Spriter project from the game's own internal animations and on how to then convert your own Spriter projects into an AssetBundle that you can include the "anims" directory of your mod to have your own custom animation loaded into the game.

https://github.com/daviscook477/kparser/tree/v0.1#K-parser

You probably need to install version 11 of java. Since Oracle doesn't provide support for 9 anymore. It's additive though so the java 9 features used in this project are available in 11. I think the reason I had to use java 9 was because it introduced better support for binary file writing.

Can I point out that there's already a tool to go from anim to scml that's more intuitive for plebeians like myself?

https://github.com/fgc0109/OxygenNotIncludedDev

It's old as heck though, and it'd be awesome if you or someone else could find use for it as a sort of coding stepping stone.

Spoiler

Like, really old. So old the forum post is archived.

Spoiler

I don't know anything about coding...I'm just a simpleton, so disregard everything if what I said makes no sense. ^^;

You might find it helpful, it has a GUI and everything! :wilson_smile:

@watermelen671 I believe I originally based my tool on that one. I wrote most of this tool 3 months ago so I had kinda forgotten. That code and reading the decompiled klei code for loading animations was how I managed to understand most of how the klei animation format worked. Sorry for having such a terrible command line interface! I'm not going to update this until we know for sure that klei isn't going to provide us with a true asset creation pipeline. Because it would suck to put all the effort into updating this and then for klei to provide a tool for us. If nothing drops with Tuesday's launch, I'll spend the next weekend making this tool more useable :)

Hey howdy hey! I'm back at it again with more questions.

First, how does one go about taking the "file" and breaking it down into its components?

Like for example, I want to see if I can superimpose the old assets onto the new ones you had created for your Professional Attire mod, and to do that I need to crack open the files that you had made.

image.png.3871b41a0d02dbdaaeb5f156747b7e37.png

Now I'm well aware that it's highly likely you didn't even think of this being a possibility when designing the tool, so I totally get if it's not possible for me to do this.

Spoiler

And if that's the case do you maybe think it'd be possible for you to upload the Unity project file somewhere for me to tinker with? :wilson_smile:

With strange names, you probably mean the correct names plus the folder structur directly in the name. Looks to me like the author used a fixed file separator instead of asking the OS what to use. Example

ScmlConverter.java line 842: String folderPath = scmlFile.getParent() + "\\";

This will work on Windows and anything that works with backslash, but nothing else. I think replacing "\\" with File.separator might work.

Archived