What's the best way to utilize Oxyferns?

I've owned the game for a long time, but only recently have I gotten back into it. I just want to know people's thoughts on how best to use Oxyferns as an oxygen source. I've tried gathering them all at one room in the bottom and making floors out of airflow tiles, and giving every room their own personal Oxyfern, but I can't really tell which one is better for the long term. 

Putting them in individual spots won't work very well because CO2 is very dense and will not stick around in the oxygenated (...or chlorinated or methanated) areas; make an area at the bottom of your base for CO2 to pool in and put them there so they can run constantly with a buffer above them.

I recommend putting them in a room at the center of your base with a wood burner. Don't try to recycle your carbon dioxide with oxyferns, just use the excessive amount of carbon dioxide a wood burner (or petroleum generator later on) generates to keep it covered in carbon dioxide and put a carbon skimmer (or slicksters) at the bottom of your base as usual. Putting oxyferns at the bottom of your base makes it hard for the oxygen to get to where it needs to go, and it prevents you from digging downward without messing up your oxygen production which is a huge nuisance.

I just set them at the bottom of my base in planter pots and if I dig deeper I move them quickly.  I only use them until I can get a more sustainable oxygen method and then I dig them up and hope pips will put them somewhere useful.  You can build 2 high walls to the right and left of a patch of them and it will trap CO2 passing by so they don't' always need to be at the absolute lowest level of your base.  Dupes can walk over a 2 high wall, CO2 can't.

Archived