Masked Pig spawning

Machine Reaper

11 minutes ago, oCrapaCreeper said:

Sadly he only spawns in Hamlet. You never see him appear in towns built in other worlds.

I really think that should get changed, since you basically can just ignore that element of the game by building your city in another world.

indeed, he spawn from Pig Houses, which means he should spawn in a city built anywhere.
(he won't spawn from Miner/Farmer Houses tho)

Am wondering if a recent update increased the incidence of Masked Pig spawning in Hamlet towns.  The last couple of times I played, I started keeping my oincs in my shanty because he was always sneaking up on me... 

ETA: when carrying oincs, I always keep them in a backpack so I can drop the backpack if I see Masked Pig.  He only gets the oincs if you are wearing said backpack when he hits you.  

15 minutes ago, ucw said:

Am wondering if a recent update increased the incidence of Masked Pig spawning in Hamlet towns.  The last couple of times I played, I started keeping my oincs in my shanty because he was always sneaking up on me... 

ETA: when carrying oincs, I always keep them in a backpack so I can drop the backpack if I see Masked Pig.  He only gets the oincs if you are wearing said backpack when he hits you.  

his spawn rate is completely random and it doesn't matter how much oincs you have, sometimes he spawns more then usual, sometimes very less.

Also you can easily defeat him by dodging his first attack and then attacking him with a torch, this will set him on fire and he will start running around.

while he does the Burny Dance, you can easily kill him with other weapons, of course when he dies, his swashy hat burns, but his map remains.

His spawn rate is NOT completely random. It scales with the number of oincs you have and the time of day and it caps at 20% chance to spawn per "roll", with 1.5 days' worth of cooldown after he's been killed. You can even see banditmanager.lua making the roll and comparing it to the spawn chance if you open the console log while walking around town.

And the reason he only spawns in Hamlet is that it's not the city houses themselves that spawn him, but the world's bandit manager component, which does not exist outside of Hamlet. (Bird Whistle and Volcano Staff similarly work only on their home worlds because they use that world's rocmanager.lua and volcanomanager.lua components respectively.)

19 minutes ago, QuartzBeam said:

His spawn rate is NOT completely random. It scales with the number of oincs you have and the time of day and it caps at 20% chance to spawn per "roll", with 1.5 days' worth of cooldown after he's been killed. You can even see banditmanager.lua making the roll and comparing it to the spawn chance if you open the console log while walking around town.

And the reason he only spawns in Hamlet is that it's not the city houses themselves that spawn him, but the world's bandit manager component, which does not exist outside of Hamlet. (Bird Whistle and Volcano Staff similarly work only on their home worlds because they use that world's rocmanager.lua and volcanomanager.lua components respectively.)

well that is quite weird, in my case I once had over 3 bandits spawn one after the other in 2.5 days, I only keep at least 20 to 30 oincs with me while as the rest in a Cork barrel near my house.
the timing was around 46 days.

from that I thought maybe he just spawns randomly.

Also should he Spawn in other dlcs or no?

2 hours ago, ucw said:

Sort of. Previously oincs in the backpack weren't counted when checking whether to spawn him or not; a previous patch fixed this.

31 minutes ago, MWY said:

well that is quite weird, in my case I once had over 3 bandits spawn one after the other in 2.5 days, I only keep at least 20 to 30 oincs with me while as the rest in a Cork barrel near my house.

Did you kill him each time? There's no timer if he doesn't die IIRC.

6 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Sort of. Previously oincs in the backpack weren't counted when checking whether to spawn him or not; a previous patch fixed this.

YES.

I get free food, oincs , armour and a boot for my cute little pikos to put it in their mouths.

2 hours ago, MWY said:

YES.

I get free food, oincs , armour and a boot for my cute little pikos to put it in their mouths.

2 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

I don't always kill him successfully -- maybe that is why he comes back so fast sometimes.  

1 hour ago, MWY said:

Doesn't that mean his spawning chance increases massively if he despawns?

No? It's exactly the same as before. Exact same math. As long as he's capable of spawning, the chance of him doing so will always be exactly the same given the same amount of oincs in your inventory and the same time of day he's trying to spawn at.

3 minutes ago, Faintly Macabre said:

No? It's exactly the same as before. Exact same math. As long as he's capable of spawning, the chance of him doing so will always be exactly the same given the same amount of oincs in your inventory and the same time of day he's trying to spawn at.

Then say that he won't have a cool down time and will start spawning like he normally does.

3 hours ago, krzarb said:

Out of interest, what time of day is he most likely to spawn? 

Night, sort of. As Quartzbeam mentioned, the chance for him to spawn caps at 20% and is the maximum regardless of the time. Where time factors in is that during the day this cap requires 150 oincs in your inventory to achieve, but at dusk, the value of your oincs is multiplied by 1.5 to check for spawn chance, and at night, 3 times. This means that you reach the 20% cap at 100 oincs at dusk and just 50 oincs at night.

1 hour ago, Faintly Macabre said:

Night, sort of. As Quartzbeam mentioned, the chance for him to spawn caps at 20% and is the maximum regardless of the time. Where time factors in is that during the day this cap requires 150 oincs in your inventory to achieve, but at dusk, the value of your oincs is multiplied by 1.5 to check for spawn chance, and at night, 3 times. This means that you reach the 20% cap at 100 oincs at dusk and just 50 oincs at night.

Thanks for the info :) 

Archived