Making old RoG+SW world Hamlet compatible - need help

Maslak

Hello!

Does any of you know a way to make old RoG+SW world created before Hamlet release Hamlet compatible? The usual way is to create fresh Hamlet world, build Skyworthy and link it with existing RoG+SW world. But this kills old character (so removes all the learned recipies) and replaces old daycount with new one. I don't want that.

In old worlds like this one you can't craft any Hamlet items, and you can't even spawn stuff with console. I tried spawning Skyworthy (prokland_entrance) but it cannot be spawned.

My guess is that I would need to add some line of code to my save, but save consists of many files and they kinda contain gibberish.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I think the only way to make it compatible is by unlinking these worlds (RoG/Sw). I saw a tutorial one a long time ago, but I did not find the video, anyway I will try to explain more or less the process you should do.  (I don't know if it still works)
I will take as an example a fictitious situation:
----First situation----
Slot 1: Old World RoG/Sw linked.
Slot 2: Hamlet World
Slot 3: Available
Slot 4: Available.

First of all you will need to create two worlds: One RoG and another Shipwrecked. Both compatible with Hamlet.  (Preferably with the character you are in your World slot 1)

----Second situation----
Slot 1: Old World RoG/Sw linked.
Slot 2: Hamlet
Slot 3: New Shipwrecked World
Slot 4: New RoG World

Now let's get to the main situation. First of all, this method is a little risky and I'm not responsible for your worlds and you are doing this of your own free will. You can make a backup. It is highly recommended to backup this folder.

In this directory (Windows)
> C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\206283973\219740\remote (folder of your worlds)

The worlds in file format are listed like this:
For Shipwrecked: shipwrecked_(saveslot) - Example: shipwrecked_3
For Reign of Giants: survival_(saveslot) - Example: survival_4

In the situation of this example I want to link the worlds RoG and Sw (Slot 1) to Hamlet (Slot 2). So as are old worlds I need to unlink:
1. Then in this folder, I will delete the files: shipwrecked_3 and survival_4 (referring to this example)
2. Rename: shipwrecked_1 to shipwrecked_3 and survival_1 to survival_4. (referring to this example)

Now the worlds are unlinked. Open the game. Initially you will be frightened and think that the tutorial did not work, and would visually repair that nothing has changed. But it's just a visual. When entering Slot 3 you will go to your world Shipwrecked referring to the slot 1. And when you enter Slot 4 you will go to your RoG world for slot 1. Now just do the just go to your world Hamlet and link Both worlds with Skyworthy. (Slot 3 and 4)

*One remark: When going from Ham to Sw or RoG. The recipes will be from Hamlet.
So a solution to this is the spawn of a Skyworthy in your world RoG or Sw. 
c_spawn("porkland_entrance")
* Also your volcano, caves and ruins will be redefined.

I hope it works for you. I went through the same situation.

It worked! Thank you a lot. 

I had SW and RoG seasons relatively synced, SW was just lagging two days behind. Now it's autumn and dry season at the same time, so it's a mess. But it's okay, I'll try to solve that issue aswell.

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

It worked! Thank you a lot. 

I had SW and RoG seasons relatively synced, SW was just lagging two days behind. Now it's autumn and dry season at the same time, so it's a mess. But it's okay, I'll try to solve that issue aswell.

Keep in mind that the seasons of both worlds will overlap differently the longer you play because Shipwrecked´s year is 3 days longer than ROG´s year.

14 hours ago, pe5e said:

Keep in mind that the seasons of both worlds will overlap differently the longer you play because Shipwrecked´s year is 3 days longer than ROG´s year.

Yeah my friends made me realise that yesterday. I wish it was fixed. Because it really seems like an overlook.
@Jason could you please look into that in free time? 
If both RoG and SW would be 20-15-20-15 it will be possible to sync it. Would be cool if they were always automatically synced, so if you worldhop in linked SW world during monsoon season, new world will be still in monsoon season, just to keep it synced with RoG's spring. And vice versa.

36 minutes ago, Maslak said:

Yeah my friends made me realise that yesterday. I wish it was fixed. Because it really seems like an overlook.
@Jason could you please look into that in free time? 
If both RoG and SW would be 20-15-20-15 it will be possible to sync it. Would be cool if they were always automatically synced, so if you worldhop in linked SW world during monsoon season, new world will be still in monsoon season, just to keep it synced with RoG's spring. And vice versa.

Doesnt seem like an oversight to me. It is just a consequece of the differently long years. Linked Hamlet worlds desync just the same because a Hamlet year is even shorter (33 days). It isnt really a huge issue and can sometimes even be used to your advantage. If you link 3 worlds it is unlikely that all have unfavourable seasons (whatever that means) at the same time.

4 hours ago, pe5e said:

Doesnt seem like an oversight to me. It is just a consequece of the differently long years. Linked Hamlet worlds desync just the same because a Hamlet year is even shorter (33 days). It isnt really a huge issue and can sometimes even be used to your advantage. If you link 3 worlds it is unlikely that all have unfavourable seasons (whatever that means) at the same time.

Yeah, but both RoG and SW have 2 longer and 2 shorter seasons. I can't see how making 2 SW seasons 1 day longer was not an oversight. RoG seasons used to randomly be either 1 day longer or not, but it was fixed as far as I remember. Why not introduce synchronization?

1 hour ago, Maslak said:

Yeah, but both RoG and SW have 2 longer and 2 shorter seasons. I can't see how making 2 SW seasons 1 day longer was not an oversight. RoG seasons used to randomly be either 1 day longer or not, but it was fixed as far as I remember. Why not introduce synchronization?

It was almost certainly not considered because the length of the season was set before combining worlds was even a thing. So while I wouldnt really mind a change here, I also dont think it is an issue to begin with.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:51 AM, Maslak said:

The usual way is to create fresh Hamlet world, build Skyworthy and link it with existing RoG+SW world. But this kills old character (so removes all the learned recipies) and replaces old daycount with new one. I don't want that.

Glad to see old faces around @Maslak! Anyway, even the old way didn't work for me; I created a Skyworthy in a new Hamlet world to an old (Hamlet wasn't out then so not compatible with Hamlet I assume) RoG+SW world. When I clicked Skyworthy, it didn't prompt to link to a save, but simply asked to create worlds...

BTW, is there a tool (probably a command line interface or just a lua library) that allows inspecting and editing the save files? E.g. load survival_1 into the tool and edit some tag to say it is hamlet compatible so when game loads it next time the game loads the scripts (components, prefabs, rooms, maps, textures, brains and whatnot) from DLC003 (Hamlet) instead of DLC002 (SW). For those who did not know, DLC003 includes most, if not all, of the scripts in DLC002. So being Hamlet compatible means SW compatible (which in turn means RoG compatibility).

8 hours ago, hyiltiz said:

BTW, is there a tool (probably a command line interface or just a lua library) that allows inspecting and editing the save files? E.g. load survival_1 into the tool and edit some tag to say it is hamlet compatible so when game loads it next time the game loads the scripts (components, prefabs, rooms, maps, textures, brains and whatnot) from DLC003 (Hamlet) instead of DLC002 (SW). For those who did not know, DLC003 includes most, if not all, of the scripts in DLC002. So being Hamlet compatible means SW compatible (which in turn means RoG compatibility).

I haven't heard of such thing, sadly, that's why I asked here. DS modding/tools developing surely is less popular, so I doubt someone made something like this.

Archived