Taking things in the Palace... Is it really stealing?

kiwikenobi

So, in the palace, there's all kinds of stuff on the shelves. Mousing over them gives the prompt "steal." Fine. That stuff isn't mine. And I guess no one is selling it, since I can't offer money for it. But after getting a key from the Pig Queen and unlocking one of the things under glass, the prompt to take them is also "steal." Is it really stealing if the Pig Queen gave me the key? Does it have any bad effects to take an item when the prompt says "steal"?

I mean, is the Pig Queen crazy enough to offer a key in return for the stuff we give her, not knowing/caring that we can unlock the glass covers to get at the stuff under them? Is it a test of our character, to resist the temptation to steal from the palace by using the key we were given in good faith? Does she somehow think the unused key itself is a suitable reward for bringing back her lost/stolen stuff at great risk to life and limb, delving into booby-trap-infested ruins, fighting with scary giant bugs, and getting eaten by a skyscraper-sized bird with three nested heads?

...Seriously, though, story and character stuff aside, does anything bad happen gameplay-wise if you take things from the palace when the prompt is "steal"?

(On the subject of the Pig Queen, what happens if you give her both rare relics, the scepter, and the crown all in one game? Do you get a useless fourth key? Does something else happen?)

3 hours ago, Faintly Macabre said:

No, nothing negative happens when you take those items. It's probably just left over from a previous development direction and was forgotten about.

intentionally....bunch of hoodlums 

4 hours ago, kiwikenobi said:

(On the subject of the Pig Queen, what happens if you give her both rare relics, the scepter, and the crown all in one game? Do you get a useless fourth key? Does something else happen?)

you get a useless fourth key.

11 hours ago, MWY said:

you get a useless fourth key.

Well, technicaly not useless. You could bring it to new Hamlet world to get another key, hammer or can. Why you would do that is beyond me, but hey, that's still some use.

32 minutes ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Does the Queen respawn if you kill her? Because if she does, you can keep giving her thhe relics for more keys. I would use them as decoration if this method indeed works...

nope she does not respawn, as any inhabitant of any interior won't.

2 hours ago, SpoonyBardIV said:

Does the Queen respawn if you kill her? Because if she does, you can keep giving her thhe relics for more keys. I would use them as decoration if this method indeed works...

That's a lot of work just for some decorative keys, but you could do that. All you need to do is:

• Go to Hamlet world;
  • Gather Teleportato things and all items for trading with the Queen;
  • Trade items with the Queen and kill her to get back your stuff (don't remember if relics are returned but royal crown and scepter are);
  • Assemble Teleportato and use it with all trading items in your inventory;
  • Rinse and repeat. Might as well experiment with few characters while at it.

The more times you repeat the cycle, the more items you'll have for trade. It also let's you exploit this world without a care of wasting "nonrenewable" resources.

Archived