Couple interface suggestions.

Couple things I noticed about the interface:

1: Picking up items or interacting with objects/enemies can be sluggish. It would be nice if interactable objects took precedence over examinable objects. I.e. clicking a stack of items near a tree stump or rabbit hole doesn't examine the stump or hole, but picks up the items first.

2: Crafting something shouldn't close the crafting menu. It would be nice to be able to have the menu still open after crafting one item.

• Developer
Couple things I noticed about the interface:

1: Picking up items or interacting with objects/enemies can be sluggish. It would be nice if interactable objects took precedence over examinable objects. I.e. clicking a stack of items near a tree stump or rabbit hole doesn't examine the stump or hole, but picks up the items first.

I agree. I've been putting off doing this for a while while I fix other things, but it may Soon be time to make an attempt. In general I hate trying to 'read the player's mind' and tend to err on the side of just plain literal accuracy, but I can see how certain actions really are always less important.

2: Crafting something shouldn't close the crafting menu. It would be nice to be able to have the menu still open after crafting one item.

I've gone back and forth with this one. A common problem with new players is that they double-click to build things, and end up not really understanding the crafting interface. I closed the interface after build to prevent this problem, but I fear that I may have alienated the more experienced players. Maybe I should only close it when building a structure?

I agree. I've been putting off doing this for a while while I fix other things, but it may Soon be time to make an attempt. In general I hate trying to 'read the player's mind' and tend to err on the side of just plain literal accuracy, but I can see how certain actions really are always less important.

Right, I'm pretty sure it's always safe to assume that a player clicking on a space where there is both a tree stump and a log, that they want to pick up the log and not examine the tree stump.

I've gone back and forth with this one. A common problem with new players is that they double-click to build things, and end up not really understanding the crafting interface. I closed the interface after build to prevent this problem, but I fear that I may have alienated the more experienced players. Maybe I should only close it when building a structure?

Sure, like planks or cut stone could leave the menu open, but science machines or whatever could close it.

Sure, like planks or cut stone could leave the menu open, but science machines or whatever could close it.
I think this is the best option. I made another post about this topic before seeing this thread. Oops!