Why is there no way to disable disinfect in an area?

I'm currently working on a base that has an exosuit exit to go and dig around in all the slime, polluted oxygen, etc. to my heart's content without worrying about germs or toxicity.

image.thumb.png.5417eaf29cc76984e7d4d0b326f293da.png

However, it is really annoying to have dupes run around disinfecting every slime tile. Disabling them 1 by 1 sounds incredibly obnoxious.

Seems like basic functionality. Why is this not a thing?

47 minutes ago, ArtumisPrime said:

Is it really?

It's bad for things like outhouses too?

Yes.

Outhouses will dirty dupes using them even if they're cleaned regularly. You still need a sink and a sink will handle all the germs it needs to. The outhouse itself is made of rock and so will never accumulate enough germs to require more than one hand washing after usage.

There are some very rare cases where you may want dupes to disinfect buildings, but over 99% of automatic disinfection uses are a pure waste of time.

yup just disable disinfect globally. For the purpose of keeping dupes from getting sick, all you need is a couple wash basins exiting your bathroom, and a couple wash basins entering your food storage. That can be a sink coming into the kitchen or the great hall, whichever one your dupes retrieve food from at mealtime.

You don't even need showers, except if you have a shortage of polluted water. Unless something changes there's very little benefit.

56 minutes ago, ArtumisPrime said:

Is it really?

It's bad for things like outhouses too?

You only really should disinfect things like beds, mess tables, food containers, maybe oxygen diffusers/algae terrariums in case slimelung gets on them somehow. Most other stuff doesn`t matter.

The outhouse gets the dupe germed anyway after each use. When emptied it drops polluted dirt full of germs as well. Anybody going in there should wash their hands after exiting so touching the dirty outhouse doesn`t make a difference.

I would still like dupes to automatically disinfect certain areas. Rimworld has a "clean area" overlay where each cell can be turned on or off. Something like that would be nice to have here like if you start to mark cells for disinfect area, only the marked cells will be disinfected.

1 hour ago, avc15 said:

yup just disable disinfect globally. For the purpose of keeping dupes from getting sick, all you need is a couple wash basins exiting your bathroom, and a couple wash basins entering your food storage. That can be a sink coming into the kitchen or the great hall, whichever one your dupes retrieve food from at mealtime.

You don't even need showers, except if you have a shortage of polluted water. Unless something changes there's very little benefit.

Showers give +3 Morale

52 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

I would still like dupes to automatically disinfect certain areas. Rimworld has a "clean area" overlay where each cell can be turned on or off. Something like that would be nice to have here like if you start to mark cells for disinfect area, only the marked cells will be disinfected.

i like that, someone needs to make this into a mod 

Archived