Next to the map seed number, it should tell you how hard the seed is

The map seeds' difficulty should be rated before starting a game, based on geysers. If the map has crappy geysers (for example 3 volcanoes, 2 C02 vents etc.) it should be rated very hard. If it has good geysers (for example 2 polluted water, 1 slush geyser etc.) it should be rated very easy. What do you guys think? Good or bad idea?

I`d rather have the geysers balanced than getting a difficulty rating. Like the slush should get it`s output reduced and CO2 increased so it`s useful for slicksters at last. Also the system would have to mind the positions. Getting all your water geysers super far or at the edge of space losing steam to space void or getting a volcano right next to your starting biome can make your life harder all of a sudden.

And on what do you base a difficulty-value? For one a map can be hard as hell, while another one plays smooth on the same map. 

It just depends how well you manage given ressources.

If you already avoid wasting water for food production, you can manage to play with less water just fine. If you grow millions of plants with water on the other hand, you will screw up really quick. But thats not the difficulty, its just how you make use of it.

Calling it "difficulty" is wrong, it's more like a "boredom" or "disappointment" value.

Having bad geysers is not something you can overcome with skill (water->oxygen efficiency is almost constant), but neither is it dangerous. It will just limit the number of dupes you can get, prevent you from farming good food and slow down progress. Hence, not difficult, just boring.

49 minutes ago, Coolthulhu said:

Hence, not difficult, just boring.

I think ONI is a great game, when players start with it.
Learning and failing was the most interesting part.
I really wish i found ONI, when it's final.
Alpha was fun, but ONI is now so casual and far away from the point, where i thought it will be, when final.

Archived