Disease effects (more interesting)

Currently the diseases have an effect of reducing the efficiency of your dupes work. That`s it. You could actually ignore it a lot of the times. So in another thread i got an idea. Why not make them cause more problems.

Food poisoning +50% food consumption (would make more sense if they were vomitting though but that would be too hard to handle earlygame)

Slimelung +50% oxygen use (some heavy breathing)

Zombie spores +50% stress for the duration (might use a special stress response for the disease but regular stress reactions would be hard enough to deal with)

This way you`d have some dangers to your sustain when the diseases hit. As for spores maybe the quarantine could force them to stay in the med bay until they are cured so they don`t break stuff around the base.

2 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

You could actually ignore it a lot of the times.

That's right. We need very clear problems from diseases or players could just ignore them

Single vomit with notification for Food Poisoning, +50% stress increase for Slimelung and -10 all stats for Zombie Spore seem better. All these are common and annoying problems

44 minutes ago, Alfons100 said:

Food poisoning could have its vomit effect reimplemented,  but have it be reduced. That way it is still a noticable weakness.

With how often it can happen it would be a high risk of contaminating the water supply which would be a large problem for new players. Might be a bit too harsh given it can happen at cycle 2.

Maybe if it happened at the end of the sickness instead of at random to give you a chance to react and get some pills. Or maybe you could start with a few pills in your storage from the start to help you in the earlygame.

Given how often sicknesses occur now, even something as mild as +50% food consumption could be devastating, especially to new players.  If, however, they find a balance where sickness frequency allows for more potent symptoms then I too would like to see more distinction between the diseases.  I'd go with the following...

• Food Poisoning - As it was before.
  • Slime Lung - As it was before, except change the sneezing to coughing and have coughing interrupt work but not spread germs.
  • Zombie Spores - Greatly increases stress and temporarily replaces the dupe's stress response to something that makes them mindlessly attack other dupes.

I'd then add a far less harmful disease analogous to the common cold.

• Any dupe who suffers hypothermia has a chance to catch this diseases.
  • It reduces stats and causes the infected to periodically sneeze, interrupting work and sleep.
  • The germ itself is spread via sneezing.  It dies quickly in gas, but it lingers on solids.  Other dupes become exposed to the germ by breathing oxygen infected via sneezing, by ingesting contaminated food or water, or by contact with germy surfaces.
  • To ensure dupes don't endlessly pass it back and forth, an immunity buff lasting five or so cycles is gained when recovering from this disease.

On 4/30/2019 at 11:22 PM, Alfons100 said:

Food poisoning could have its vomit effect reimplemented,  but have it be reduced. That way it is still a noticable weakness.

Why reduce it? Shouldn't it be fine to fill your base with germ filled polluted water? Considering how easy it is to get germ filled water, I don't think we should avoid people generating water from vomit. It's not like it's clean and germ free water it generates. In fact I remember in my early gaming days I had dupes vomiting on my farming area, effectively shutting down food production. When stuff like that happens, then you really start to think about how to avoid food poisoning.... and/or how to protect the farming area from being exposed to vomit from elsewhere.

47 minutes ago, goboking said:

Slime Lung - As it was before, except change the sneezing to coughing and have coughing interrupt work but not spread germs.

The dupe should however resume the same task once done coughing because the dupes are stupid and will run far away for a task and if it is interrupted by coughing, it forgets the task and runs to the other end of the base instead because some other dupe decided to do the original task. With half the dupes coughing, nothing will get done due to this issue.

47 minutes ago, goboking said:

I'd then add a far less harmful disease analogous to the common cold.

This will require it to be easier to avoid cooling down dupes. We don't have docks for warm cloths and we don't have any way to control at which body temperature the dupe will leave the cold and aim for hot areas. The common cold will be really annoying if it is triggered by dupe stupidity and the only way you can avoid it is by micro manage each dupe, which is an annoying task.

On 5/1/2019 at 12:11 AM, Sasza22 said:

With how often it can happen it would be a high risk of contaminating the water supply which would be a large problem for new players. Might be a bit too harsh given it can happen at cycle 2.

It would make sense to make the infection risk depend on cycle and the number of dupes in the base. Banning vomiting for the first X cycles would be a good start. Make the ban length depend on difficulty level. There are plenty of ways to make this a challenge without making it too tough on new players.

13 hours ago, goboking said:

As it was before, except change the sneezing to coughing and have coughing interrupt work but not spread germs.

I`m pretty sure it already works that way, except it spreas germs. Dupes now cough and it pauses their task if it happens during it.

13 hours ago, goboking said:
  • It reduces stats and causes the infected to periodically sneeze, interrupting work and sleep.

Hypothermia already causes sneezeing. If it lasted a bit longer and would interrupt the sleep of the sick dupe for sneezes it would be fine imo. Should be also somehow tied to the dupe internal temperature (maybe through duration time) so that you won`t get dupes with negative internal temperature recovering from hypothermia and acting normal.

12 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

Why reduce it? Shouldn't it be fine to fill your base with germ filled polluted water? Considering how easy it is to get germ filled water, I don't think we should avoid people generating water from vomit

Generating water is one thing. Getting your clean water contaminated by a random vomit is a different problem. Early food poisoning with vomits to clean water can cause an endless food poisoning cycle when there is no infrastructure and players rely on mushbars and liceloaf.

12 hours ago, Nightinggale said:

It would make sense to make the infection risk depend on cycle and the number of dupes in the base. Banning vomiting for the first X cycles would be a good start.

That seems artificial and can be confusing. Maybe add a few basic cure pills to the starting food supply (like 10) so that dupes can prevent vomitting for the first cycles. Additionally make the food poisoning cause a single vomit at the end of the disease giving you some time to react. Would also make some sense as the dupe gets the food poisoning out of himself so he feels better instantly.

2 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

That seems artificial and can be confusing. Maybe add a few basic cure pills to the starting food supply (like 10) so that dupes can prevent vomitting for the first cycles. Additionally make the food poisoning cause a single vomit at the end of the disease giving you some time to react. Would also make some sense as the dupe gets the food poisoning out of himself so he feels better instantly.

Pills isn't a bad idea. Something like taking a pill once each cycle when food poisoning in the body is over a certain threshold and each pill lowers the food poison count. Vomiting will likewise lower the count by whatever count is in the vomit. This would make sense.

We could also make some sort of "stay in bed" job priority, meaning when dupes doesn't feel well, they go to bed. If vomiting starts with a delay, vomiting will take place from the bed, not at random locations like your water supply. This will put vomit in the same category as urine as in it can cause accidents but it's certainly doable to keep it away from your clean water.

6 minutes ago, Nightinggale said:

We could also make some sort of "stay in bed" job priority,

We could use a proper quarantine. Maybe we could use the basic triage cots to quarantine dupes but not heal them. this way we could contian them in one place while sick but when we can`t heal them.

Archived