Order of Characters..?

So. I've been one of the people saying "I hate the way characters unlock" for quite awhile now. And sure, they've made it better with the Wooden Thing, but still..

Well, the new updates adding all these characters kind of changed that. By the time you unlock Wolfgang, you'll be able to deal with food spoilage, rendering WX78 useless, same with Wickerbottom.

So, I vote that since it doesn't seem like the character system isn't going to be changing, unfortunately I should add, that maybe we change the order they unlock?

What do you think about this, what do you think of the way characters unlock now, what order would you have the characters unlock, and how would you change the way certain characters unlock.

My Answers:

Keep in mind, my order isn't perfect. It's just an interesting discussion.

I'm not putting my thoughts on the character system here, since I'm about to make a suggestion on that in the suggestion subforums, but I think that if it stayed the same, it should be as followed:

- Wilson (Main Character :p )

- Wickerbottom (Good for new players to figure out research)

- WX78 (Also good for new characters, to ease themselves into food spoilage)

- Wendy (Maybe they need a helping hand, or want to try a tactical approach?)

- Willow (Players know how stuff is going on now. Let's give them a chance to see what they're missing at night? They deserve it.)

- Wolfgang (Yeah, they got the game down. Lets let them just tank it for a bit :)

- Wes (They think it's too easy with Wolfgang? Well, here ya go.)

Edited by TheHomeChicken

They unlock by date created. It would make my friend mad if willow unlocked neer last.

I know that. I was playing before all these random characters started being added every update. But the game is in Beta, things change.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds good actually, I just don't like the order from a character perspective. The Robot and the Mime don't seem narratively like the "normal" characters to start out with, but the original four are more typical.

I can see what you mean. But in the same vein of thought, the world of Don't Starve is in no way "normal".

So. I've been one of the people saying "I hate the way characters unlock" for quite awhile now. And sure, they've made it better with the Wooden Thing, but still..

Well, the new updates adding all these characters kind of changed that. By the time you unlock Wolfgang, you'll be able to deal with food spoilage, rendering WX78 useless, same with Wickerbottom.

So, I vote that since it doesn't seem like the character system isn't going to be changing, unfortunately I should add, that maybe we change the order they unlock?

What do you think about this, what do you think of the way characters unlock now, what order would you have the characters unlock, and how would you change the way certain characters unlock.

My Answers:

I'm not putting my thoughts on the character system here, since I'm about to make a suggestion on that in the suggestion subforums, but I think that if it stayed the same, it should be as followed:

- Wilson (Main Character :p )

- Wickerbottom (Good for new players to figure out research)

- WX78 (Also good for new characters, to ease themselves into food spoilage)

- Wendy (Maybe they need a helping hand, or want to try a tactical approach?)

- Willow (Players know how stuff is going on now. Let's give them a chance to see what they're missing at night? They deserve it.)

- Wolfgang (Yeah, they got the game down. Lets let them just tank it for a bit :)

- Wes (They think it's too easy with Wolfgang? Well, here ya go.)

No the order is fine and wickerbottom is overpowered and a extremely top tier character.

You only need to craft the science machine THATS IT.

You can rush items extremely quick and actauctly get a winter hat and breezy vest on day 8 or 5 wickerbottom can take out a huge chunk of this games diffuculity.

No the order is fine and wickerbottom is overpowered and a extremely top tier character.You only need to craft the science machine THATS IT.You can rush items extremely quick and actauctly get a winter hat and breezy vest on day 8 or 5 wickerbottom can take out a huge chunk of this games diffuculity.

You can also get the vest and winter hat by that time without her.

I would assume that, unless players just stand around doing nothing, they would have a good understanding of the research system before they unlock a second character. In fact, I would say it was a necessity to have a good knowledge of the research system in order to survive for long enough to unlock the next character. Similarly, by the time you have unlocked the third character, I wouldn't say you are necessarily a new player anymore, so again would have a firm grasp of food spoilage. As well as this, Wickerbottom effectively takes away research, and Wx-78 takes away spoilage, so players wouldn't really get a better understanding of the mechanics, but would instead just be completely avoiding them.