Late game playability

How many people are like me, who have such an impression - once you have resolved all the problems in the world, there is nothing else to play.

You took efforts and managed to achieve a victory by saving my colony from heat, hunger and etc, and now it's time to take a break and enjoy your life.

... Well... there is no life, it's end. Nor is someone there holding the ribbon at the finish line.

All you can do is to restart a new run, hoping something could be different, however each run is quite similar.

And this further leads to a situation that once you have mastered this game, you have nothing to play.

The recent updates seems to be some fine tuning and I'm hearing people saying that the game is near the end of beta.

Is the game almost done, or it there still long way to go?

As far as I think of so far, the game could

• improve late game playability, where all technology achieved is just a starting
  • make each run (world generation) significantly different

What do you think?

Yeah, significant changes to world generation or further opening it up to modders would lead to better replayability.

I've been playing with some mods and it has been a delight.  Would love better mod support at or after 1.0.  Mods seem to always extend the life of a game.

I gotta say though, I've played almost 500 hours and I'm just about to blast a rocket for 1st time.  This game has crazy long playability and no dlc's yet.  I would love to pay more.  This game is tatoes.  Tatoes!

4 minutes ago, Shaeden said:

Yeah, significant changes to world generation or further opening it up to modders would lead to better replayability.

I've been playing with some mods and it has been a delight.  Would love better mod support at or after 1.0.  Mods seem to always extend the life of a game.

But mods are mods. There is a subtle different between vanilla and modded - the choice.

Because the vanilla game is already tuned, but the game with a combination of mods are not.

When you use a mod, you chose the mod.

If the game is playable, you already tuned the mods, so you know what should happen already.

Then you already lost the joy of exploration.

It's like watching a magic show, I don't want to know what should happen.

12 minutes ago, SkyNet_65 said:

Yes. But this is a common issue. It can't be fixed, only delayed. The Minecraft hype for example was really short lived. You reach a point where nothing new happens. And development is slow anyway.

But Minecraft has at least a proper end (maybe).:(

The end doesn't need to be the best.

I know this is a sandbox, simulation game, but without something like that, the motivation of playing may silently turn into "this is an early-access game so I don't expect too much and I believe there will be a good ending someday, so I'll just continue playing by pretending there is one".

most likely, they have something planned, but the actual end won't be in the game until it's either 'really' released, or near to that. So there's an actual bit of content for the game once it's out.

I'm pretty much at the point myself where no matter what I can build a base that works, expand, explore, tame the environment and thrive. The formulas for it are generally the same every time in general, although the execution changes from time to time.

Making this seed work is going to be a challenge. 

You are have a terrible amount of water to work with - only 1.5kg/s. No oil well, so oil is going to be extremely limited and cramp your power production as well as limiting CO2 for pwater production. Space might just be a no-go with very little water to work with.

You can probably "survive" with a very small number of dupes, but building a thriving a colony on that... well, that I want to see.

6 hours ago, DreamApart said:

And this further leads to a situation that once you have mastered this game, you have nothing to play.

I have hit this a few times with this game, but each time I hit this I find a gem in the forums.  A hidden idea that I then get to tweak, play with, and exploit. ONI is a whole new universe, with rules that do not follow the rules from our world. The implications are quite far reaching, and I never know if I've hit them all. Each time I get ready to call it a game and move on, I feel like I'm back in the 1800s when the patent office closed down, because they figured everything that would be invented had already been invented.  Yeah right!

Tons of crazy things can happen without radiation or convection, or PV=nRT, or gravity.  Really, what we have is a one-element-per tile, tile swapping (check your neighbor and see if you should swap based on a few rules) world.  It's nothing like our world, and yet there is so much to explore, endure, and exploit. It's awesome. 

3 hours ago, lee1026 said:

You are have a terrible amount of water to work with - only 1.5kg/s.

After the last week of engineering, I'd build a homemade geyser and get 10kg/s of 2C water at zero cost (infinite power too). Of course, that will most likely be considered a huge exploit, but for now it works. So the devs will adapt and change the rules (hopefully).  

With the next update, we'll get a new world. The rules change. So the crazy contraptions have to change as well. It's like digging for gold or gems. It's addictive. I love this game.

4 hours ago, MorsDux said:

A storyline campaign would be a most welcome way to sink another few hundred hours in this game.

I completely agree that this would be a nice addition.  I hope they do add something. I wasn't around for the Don't Starve beta, but I'm guessing the whole storyline didn't come out till they were pretty much finished.  We just gotta wait. xxx-fingerscrossed-xxx

8 hours ago, MorsDux said:

A storyline campaign would be a most welcome way to sink another few hundred hours in this game.

Yes, of course. But that's maybe ...  too good to expect. :(

We still don't know what exactly happened in DS story.

Archived