I noticed that when I use the water sieve to filter water into to 'clean' water , there are still many germs in the new 'clean' water. This makes it harder for my duplicants to stay healthy. I was wondering if this is done on purpose or if it is a fluke. If it isn't done on purpose could you please fix it o where the clean water has no germs or maybe another machine I could run it through to eliminate germs?

Hello! I believe it's done on purpose. It messed me up the first time too. Germs will die off in non-polluted water, but it takes some time.

Some people send the germy clean water to a series of holding cells to let the germs die off before use. Putting it in a room with chlorine speeds up the process.

Others heat up the water to kill the germs. That requires energy, and then the water needs cooling after, so I don't use that method.

Dude, this is the challenging part.

Here’s the basics for disinfection.

1. Most importantly, to stop germs from increasing, there should not be any polluted water and polluted oxygen (especially slimelung germs, it is deadly disease before you have medical chambers). Those environment favours the spreading of diseases.

2 . Keep places that your duplicants might touch dirty stuff (e.g. delivering polluted dirt from outhouses that used in early stage to a compost room) with a washing station at the entrances, like what is done in toilets.

3 . If you don’t know how to do chlorine sterilization (requires some tech and skills), you’d better dump germ infected water into another independent water tank (I do mean, a enclosed, sealed chamber), and please deliver them by pipes rather than manual transport (manual transport of infected materials DO spread diseases). The pump for removing the water should be able to controled by automation or a power switch. Until there’s only a few germs (<50 germs by average would be acceptable, but it would be perfect if it is sterile), turn the pump on. (Reminder : While under process of slow disinfection, please make sure no more infected water can go into the disinfection tank. Can be controled by regulation valves or automation shutoff valves.)

Hope these guides are useful.

If you are ready, here you can learn chlorine sterilization. Open the spoiler for details.

Spoiler

You have to unlock the following structures:

1. Automation wire

2. Clock sensor

3. Liquid valve shutoff

4. Liquid reservior

Firstly, build a room, but don’t seal it for now.

Build at least one liquid reservior inside the room and two liquid valve shutoffs, one for controling water going into the room and one for out of the room. Pipe the shutoffs with the tanks inside the room, do not connect with the water sieves first but extend liquid pipes outside the room first for later construction.

Connect the shutoffs with two independent clock sensors. For the time of activation, adjust by yourself, but remember to have some time that no shutoff is activated to allow disinfection for some time if there’re too many germs.

Build a gas vent, extend the gas pipes outsude of the room (same, for easier construction later) but don’t connect to anything yet.

Build a gas pump inside for removing other gases out of the room. We only want chlorine gas. Remember to connect the gas pump with automation switch for controling.

Seal the room tightly. Switch the gas pump off after there’s no gas inside.

Prepare chlorine gas. Connect the gas pipe from the gas vent to the source of chlorine (a gas pump or a gas reservior). Wait until the chlorine gas arrive.

Now connect the liquid pipeline that goes into the room to the water sieves. your sterilization plant will start working.

34 minutes ago, Sasza22 said:

The easiest way to get rid of germs is to heat up the water. At 75oC all the food poisoning is gone within a cycle. Of course hot water is another problem but well the game is about managng those so good luck.

I can say, only when you expand into ice biome and get the useful wheezwort (mostly used for fine cooling, you’ll need them most in middle stages) to cool water down without aquatuners, or to cool aquatuners that have cooled water.

Remind you about the high energy cost of aquatuners - 1200W per ‘packet’ of liquid being cooled. So make sure your power supply is INDEPENDENT FROM the main power supply line, otherwise you’ll probably overload the circuit or becomes the problem of ENTIRE BASE.

Similarly, if you use Liquid Tepidizer to heat water up, you also consumes lots of power (1200W per second).

That’s why I give up heating water after my first attempt to do this.

10 hours ago, lee1026 said:

Heated up pwater will have their heat deleted when you send it into the sieve, so heat in pwater that you intend on sieving isn't really a big issue.

Oh you mean that expolit?

(THAT EXPOLIT: The unfixed issue that no matter how hot or how cold the polluted water is, clean water is always output at 45°C.)

#ImAIdiot

On 3/13/2019 at 7:40 AM, Madbro said:

Oh you mean that expolit?

(THAT EXPOLIT: The unfixed issue that no matter how hot or how cold the polluted water is, clean water is always output at 45°C.)

#ImAIdiot

Fixed temps was intended to give balance to the game, not an expolit. (Confirmed by devs)

Also the fixed temp is 40C

It's a curious thing. They've made a game with an almost realistic approach to things like waste heat, but the throw in things like wheezeworts and AETNs. It's not surprising that they're perfectly fine with a fixed output temperatures when you've got outright magic heat deletion in some items.

29 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

It's a curious thing. They've made a game with an almost realistic approach to things like waste heat, but the throw in things like wheezeworts and AETNs. It's not surprising that they're perfectly fine with a fixed output temperatures when you've got outright magic heat deletion in some items.

the reason for this is there are too many ways to heat up a base, and very limited options for cooling.  So they had to add some unrealistic cooling methods to balance the game

In the day and age of steam turbines and steel aquatuners, cooling isn't a big issue - once you get steel and plastic, aquatuner and steam turbine will happily delete all the heat they can get their hands on, limited only by freezing Pwater. (Word of advice though - don't freeze your cool steam vent - melting that thing ain't easy).

Heating is much harder. I have a much harder time with my peppernut farm then my sleet wheat one. I still haven't found a good solution after I run out of clay for the row of kilns that I am using a heater.

I've had no trouble with heating at all. Water out of my cool steam geysers is always around 95 C out of the pump, so I just divert that through radiant pipes through any area that needs heating. With automation control, of course, I only want those areas up to around 40 C, not the full 95.

I'm currently going through a bit of a clay crisis myself, but not because I'm using kilns for heat. No, my issue is that I need more high-quality insulation for those steam turbine coolers, and I'm short of ceramics. Insulation much more renewable than clay, but I'm finding that difficult to produce in any quantity. At least, so far.

21 minutes ago, Gus Smedstad said:

I'm currently going through a bit of a clay crisis myself, but not because I'm using kilns for heat. No, my issue is that I need more high-quality insulation for those steam turbine coolers, and I'm short of ceramics. Insulation much more renewable than clay, but I'm finding that difficult to produce in any quantity. At least, so far.

Have you seen my early O2 farm designs I have posted in the past?

They provide lots of clay

On 15.03.2019 at 2:44 AM, Neotuck said:

the reason for this is there are too many ways to heat up a base, and very limited options for cooling.  So they had to add some unrealistic cooling methods to balance the game

This is not the best solution, actually it is sad.

There was few times suggestion to implement heat radiation of top layer of asteroid, as heat disposal mechanism, its relay on realistic effect - black body radiation. Interesting mechanic. I did test mod to see effect and it is not slow even considering it written on C#(in original all simulations in game done in C++ DLL which should be few times faster). I think it would be better solution then water sieve exploit(ok not exploit, but weird side behavior).

54 minutes ago, D.L.S. said:

This is not the best solution, actually it is sad.

and now I'm feeling deja vu on this topic...

56 minutes ago, D.L.S. said:

There was few times suggestion to implement heat radiation of top layer of asteroid, as heat disposal mechanism, its relay on realistic effect - black body radiation. Interesting mechanic. I did test mod to see effect and it is not slow even considering it written on C#(in original all simulations in game done in C++ DLL which should be few times faster). I think it would be better solution then water sieve exploit(ok not exploit, but weird side behavior).

please tell me you remember why that idea was shot down, admittedly the devs did say the set temp mechanic was a "place holder" until better cooling options became available.  But for various reasons adding radiation mechanics to the game have been placed on hold until they figure out how to fix the severe lag spike radiation would cause to game-play 

11 hours ago, Neotuck said:

But for various reasons adding radiation mechanics to the game have been placed on hold until they figure out how to fix the severe lag spike radiation would cause to game-play 

I'm talking about this mechanic:

so radiating only top of the map, bare minimum would be only 256 cells radiating. It wont create lag spikes, it is addition calculations on each simulation steps, so will affect fps, but not much, depends of implementation.

On 3/15/2019 at 12:55 PM, lee1026 said:

Heating is much harder. I have a much harder time with my peppernut farm then my sleet wheat one. I still haven't found a good solution after I run out of clay for the row of kilns that I am using a heater.

batteries make a good solution. no cost heating.

image.thumb.png.f93e76712d1219883ade787abd66789d.png

47 minutes ago, nonoxyl said:

batteries make a good solution. no cost heating.

this is true, I use to make a battery bank over my hydroponic farm tiles for pincha peppernuts 

this was before smart batteries were added so having a large battery bank was necessary for storing extra power 

Even with a large battery array, my peppernuts are barely alive. 

The cool oil steam vents are all the way across the map, so that will be an epic piping job. 

On on the other hand, each of my 4 heat deletion turbines will offer cooling on tap, combined with super coolants, very quickly. 

I think my my problem is that all of my vents are tamed with steam turbines. So while there is a lot of wheezeworts on the map deleting heat, very little heat is being added in the net. 

Archived